OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Networking

Fastest tcp/ip throughput in OS/2?

<< < (5/5)

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hey Dave!

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on November 18, 2018, 07:03:03 pm ---...What does work fine is the command line Python script,

--- Code: ---wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py
python speedtest-cli
--- End code ---
You may want to take the browser out of the equation or at least do tests with the Python script and compare.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reminder...I did actually use this in the past, as per your earlier suggestion from a year ago, and now i went back to re-test using that process as well. I picked the same server ID to keep the results somewhat consistent with what i'm seeing across different machines on my LAN, here is what I get:

--- Code: ---[G:\util\misc]python speedtest-cli --server 17394
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Bell Canada (65.92.109.81)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Bell Canada (Toronto, ON) [331.11 km]: 17.667 ms
Testing download speed..........................................................
Download: 301.52 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed............................................................
Upload: 117.86 Mbit/s

--- End code ---

The d/l values match up pretty well to what I'm seeing on other devices, the u/l however is significantly smaller. I will look into the window sizing again and see what Lars' comment might uncover.

Thanks again, this is definitely the better (more stable for sure) way of testing.

EDIT
====
Found the following testing site (http://www.dospeedtest.com/) that matches the Python script CLI test results pretty closely, so at least on my machine with FF 45.9 executing the test it appears to cause no adverse effects.

Also, I put together a quick speedtest.cmd file (see attached) that calls the Python script Dave provided and tosses-up a few entries you can chose from (runs a default test against a BELL server, which is one of the big national tel providers in Canada). You can pick your own servers of course, see the results of:

--- Code: ---python speedtest-cli --list

--- End code ---

...but that will be a long list, so you may want to pipe this into a file or a page-at-a-time view:

--- Code: ---python speedtest-cli --list |less

--- End code ---

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Ian,

--- Quote from: Ian Manners on November 18, 2018, 07:57:57 am ---I use multiples of MTU, still not sure if that's right as some people say MSS, others say MTU, and the odd person says its irrelevant..

--- End quote ---

Yeah, as I started to look deeper into this I had the same initial reaction. But...there is good news, the inetcfg values we are looking at, specifically the 'tcprwinsize' values have their counterpart in the WIN world, that parameter is RWIN. There are a pile of articles out there that talk about the MTU <=> RWIN relationship.

Here is a link to a pretty good write-up, including a test that will check your setups and provide some walk-through analysis and recommendations, https://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

For now, I have throttled back my settings to as follows (just showing the relevant window size settings):

--- Code: ---#Inetcfg: CURRENT DEFAULT MINIMUM MAXIMUM

keepalive 60 7800 0 7800 KeepAlive (sec)
tcpswinsize 127776 32768 1024 246723 TCP SendWindow Size
tcprwinsize 127776 32768 1024 246723 TCP RecvWindow Size
udpswinsize 127776 9216 1024 246723 UDP SendWindow Size
udprwinsize 127776 41600 1024 246723 UDP RecvWindow Size

--- End code ---

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Brief update...I went back to the non-MMRE drivers, the reason being: continued TRAPs with the MMRE, even with SACK=OFF.

As Lars pointed out, could be my overall settings (althought I backed down on the window sizing, using about 1/2 of the buffer now as compared to where I started), or it could be that the generic Unix to OS/2 layer that allows the bigger drivers pool to be utilized has some inherent problems that I'm seeing symptoms of.

Anyways, just FYI re: my experience, if anyone else has a well working high-speed setup please post your config.

guzzi:
My connection is not nearly as fast, but I get the max speed it allows:
Testing download speed..
Download: 60.96 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed....
Upload: 19.17 Mbit/s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version