Author Topic: OS/2 for Power PC and the Thinkpad 860  (Read 8291 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
OS/2 for Power PC and the Thinkpad 860
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:06:52 pm »
If everything wents well I will get a ThinkPad 860 with PowerPC CPU at the Weekend. With this I will fill my last gaps regarding my ThinkPad Collection and my OS/2 Collection.

Regarding the Software, just take a look at the Picture  ;)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: OS/2 for Power PC and the Thinkpad 860
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »
The IBM demo for OS/2 for Power PC was the high point for OS2 Bay Area User Group. The auditorium had 300 seats, but there were a lot of people who had to stand. Lots of Taligent people were on hand, and I presume, some Apple people, too.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:49:13 pm »
There are some articles about OS/2 PPC in Michal Necasek's blog:

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/category/powerpc/

He also has the PowerPC hardware (a desktop system).

Also, there is an OS/2 PPC CD's uploaded at archive.org.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:30:22 pm »
Here it Comes! I think this will be a taff Task...  ;)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:22:40 am »
I did some "Trial and Error" but was not able to install OS/2 PPC so far. Is there someone who could give my advice or help with OS/2 PPC? Thanks so far!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:59:32 pm »
Write to Michal Necasek?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 04:18:16 pm »
Hi Sigurd.

Your experiment is very interesting, sorry that I don't have the skill to help you, but it may be good to know what did you do that didn't work and what error did you find.  Does this machine also boots the PPC OS/2 with diskettes?

I also only know about Michal Necasek having a PPC machine and trying it with PPC OS/2.
One of Michal's article has this tip that the CDROM has to be burned at 8x (24x seems to fail) . And there is also "Tweaking the Installation CD".

I can not be there with you Sigurd, but you have all my moral support for this experiment !!

Regards
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:23:09 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:31 pm »
Hi Sigurd.

Your experiment is very interesting, sorry that I don't have the skill to help you, but it may be good to know what did you do that didn't work and what error did you find.  Does this machine also boots the PPC OS/2 with diskettes?

I also only know about Michal Necasek having a PPC machine and trying it with PPC OS/2.
One of Michal's article has this tip that the CDROM has to be burned at 8x (24x seems to fail) . And there is also "Tweaking the Installation CD".

I can not be there with you Sigurd, but you have all my moral support for this experiment !!

Regards

Hi Martin, to you and Dave: thank you very much! I do know the sites of Michal but unfortunately I can not Access his site anymore. I do not know why, but I allways (from different Locations with different machines (Laptop, PC, Phone) have "No permission to view this site" "Access forbidden". I visited it several times before with no Problems.

Can you or someone copy the "Tewaing Installation CD" part and paste it here, if allowed? Thanks!!

And no - it should boot from CD, no diskettes necessary. It may be necessary to use diskettes to delete the OS on it before, but that is what I already did. I do have this "Maintainance diskettes" and the OS was Windows NT 4.

Edit: it works using my android iPhone now, Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:15:06 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 05:30:29 pm »
Hi Sigurd.

You already access it but just in case "plan B" will be to access the page with the Wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20181127162823/http://www.os2museum.com/wp/os2-on-thinkpad-850/

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 05:51:48 pm »
Hi Martin. Thanks, for some reason both of my WLAN boxes seem to be blacklisted there, but that is no Problem at all because I just have to use my phone for it, not using WLAN.  ;)

The Problem I do have now is: what file exactly has to be modified with the PN_BOOT statementes to SCSI? I could not find such entries so far, the files boot.sci etc. are present.

Laurenz Sommer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 07:08:53 pm »
what file exactly has to be modified with the PN_BOOT statementes to SCSI? I could not find such entries so far, the files boot.sci etc. are present.
I think the ISO-Image of the installation CD-ROM. You have to open it with a hex editor and search for
Code: [Select]
50 4E 5F 42 4F 4F 54 5F 43 4F 4E 46 49 47 3D 22 62 6F 6F 74 2E 63 66 67 22(= PN_BOOT_CONFIG="boot.cfg")

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 07:39:09 pm »
what file exactly has to be modified with the PN_BOOT statementes to SCSI? I could not find such entries so far, the files boot.sci etc. are present.
I think the ISO-Image of the installation CD-ROM. You have to open it with a hex editor and search for
Code: [Select]
50 4E 5F 42 4F 4F 54 5F 43 4F 4E 46 49 47 3D 22 62 6F 6F 74 2E 63 66 67 22(= PN_BOOT_CONFIG="boot.cfg")

Thanks, Laurenz!

I used the xvi32 Hexeditor under Windows 10 and opened the iso. And yes, there I was able to found the part! (See hexzuvor Picture).

After a bit Trail and Error I was able to find out, that the letter SCI (as the SCSI files boot etc. have the sci ending) is in HEX: 73 63 69.

So I changed those entries and saved the iso. (See hexdanach picture)

It is time to burn (with only 2X Speed - thanks, Martin!)a new CD and give it a try. ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:41:27 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »