Author Topic: USBDRV 10.225 - full support for USB audio  (Read 17802 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: USBDRV 10.225 - full support for USB audio
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 09:52:12 am »
Just retested with Lars latest USB drivers installed again.

ArcaOS 5.04.  Moved the BASEDEV=USBD.SYS before the other basedev drivers as the way 5.04 does.

BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

Rebooted and the mouse does not work.  Note: the USB mouse did work with the USB drivers installed with ArcaOS 5.04 when using the above ordered config.sys.

Switched BASEDEV=USBD.SYS back to the order done in earlier versions of ArcaOS.

BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

rebooted and the mouse works with Lars drivers.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:09:18 am by David Graser »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 11:36:28 am »
If the order was changed for USB3 and we don't have USB3 yet why change things when it can cause problems?

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 02:54:01 pm »
Currently USBxHCD.SYS HC drivers try to register with USBD.SYS already on INIT. That will only succeed if USBD.SYS loads BEFORE these drivers (if USBD.SYS is first in config.sys). Therefore USBxHCD.SYS will try to register with USBD.SYS also on INIT_COMPLETE if the registration failed on INIT. That covers the case that USBD.SYS loads AFTER these drivers because INIT_COMPLETE will be called once ALL drivers have loaded (gone through INIT).
Obviously, the system does not seem to like it if the HC drivers already register on INIT. I will try and remove the registration already on INIT. Then, the HC drivers will register with USBD.SYS only if ALL drivers (regardless of config.sys ordering) have already loaded which would make the load ordering in config.sys irrelevant.
The code comments implied that all that was relevant if you boot from a USB floppy drive / CD-ROM. I just take it for granted that my drivers would then possibly no longer allow to boot from USB.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:56:41 pm by Lars »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 09:22:28 pm »
If the order was changed for USB3 and we don't have USB3 yet why change things when it can cause problems?

Because USB 3 does exist, and USB 12.1 is designed to have USB 3. It just doesn't have USBXHCD.SYS included, yet.

USBXHCD.SYS is the USB 3 driver, so it is not a good idea to refer to USBxHCD.SYS as meaning USBUHCD.SYS, USBOHCD.SYS and/or USBEHCD.SYS any more. Perhaps use USB?HCD.SYS, which would also include USBXHCD.SYS.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 09:40:14 pm »
Because USB 3 does exist, and USB 12.1 is designed to have USB 3. It just doesn't have USBXHCD.SYS included, yet.

It does exist for "some of us", just as it is for about more than 3 Years now.

To clearify what "it does exist" means without speaking in miracles is:

(My question to ArcaNoae a few weeks ago got - regarding USB3 - the following answer sent by the ArcaNoae Sales Team):

The USB 3.0 stack is basicaly ready and on some systems it does work. However on *some* Intel chipsets the USBX.SYS host controller driver does not work yet. This is why the USB 3.0 driver has not yet been released.  David Azarewicz is working on the issue to try and resolve this.

@Lars Erdmann: it is a pitty, that your work (and possibly the same with the work of Wim Brul) may not be able to be used with the "closed Source USB 3 Driver" from ArcaNoae, once it does "really exist"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:42:37 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 09:57:04 pm »
However on *some* Intel chipsets the USBX.SYS host controller driver does not work yet

The big question is, does that mean it works on all AMD chipsets or have they been forgotten? - enquiring minds would like to know the answer to that question.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 10:30:29 pm »
The USB 3.0 stack is basicaly ready and on some systems it does work. However on *some* Intel chipsets the USBX.SYS host controller driver does not work yet. This is why the USB 3.0 driver has not yet been released.  David Azarewicz is working on the issue to try and resolve this.

I have tested the USBXHCD.SYS driver on a few machines, with "interesting" results (completely unscientific):

Lenovo ThinkPad L530, with Intel USB 3 adapter. The driver loads, but it doesn't recognize when a USB device is attached. That may have something to do with the internal USB HUB since one of the USB 2 ports doesn't work either, when the USB 3 driver is loaded.

Lenovo ThinkPad T510, with a StarTech ExpressCard USB 3 adapter (Renesas chipset, apparently). I can read from a USB 3 stick, but writing has problems.

Lenovo ThinkPad L530, with the StarTech ExpressCard. Won't even POST. Obviously some sort of conflict with the internal USB 3 adapter (nothing, at all, to do with any operating system).

IBM ThinkPad T43, with the StarTech ExpressCard. A quick test shows that it works as expected. It seems to be not much faster than USB 2, but that is likely a limitation of the machine speed. I have not stress tested this one, yet.

Asus M3A78-EM motherboard, with PCIe USB 3 adapter (Fresco Logic). The driver loads, but nothing happens when I plug in a USB device.

I have not, yet, tried my Asus A88XM-A machine. It has an AMD adapter, which seems to use the Fresco Logic driver, in windows.

So, three machines (ThinkPads), using the exact same ExpressCard adapter, and USB stick, have different indications. One of them actually works.

This sort of thing has got to drive programmers up the wall.

The big question is, does that mean it works on all AMD chipsets or have they been forgotten?

AMD motherboards may use different chipsets, it depends on which chipset is cheapest when the board is built. My Asus A88XM-A calls it an AMD device, but windows uses the Fresco Logic driver. In theory, ALL USB 3 adapters, and devices, are supposed to conform to the same set of rules. It appears that manufacturers are still ignoring the rules, as they always did with earlier versions of USB (including Intel, and they, apparently, wrote the rules).

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 11:52:08 pm »
Do versions of Linux have problems with supporting USB 3.0?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 11:58:26 pm »
Do versions of Linux have problems with supporting USB 3.0?

Not that I know about, but that doesn't do us much good. A few thousand programmers seem to have managed to incorporate USB 3 support into the Linux kernel. That is not portable to OS/2, especially when one programmer is trying to do it.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:48 am »
In fact the Linux "guys" had full support from some Intel lady which eventually implemented (or led implementation of) the USB 3 driver for Linux.
Implementing an USB host controller driver is trial and error.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 08:12:19 am »
Just retested with Lars latest USB drivers installed again.

ArcaOS 5.04.  Moved the BASEDEV=USBD.SYS before the other basedev drivers as the way 5.04 does.

BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

Rebooted and the mouse does not work.  Note: the USB mouse did work with the USB drivers installed with ArcaOS 5.04 when using the above ordered config.sys.

Switched BASEDEV=USBD.SYS back to the order done in earlier versions of ArcaOS.

BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

rebooted and the mouse works with Lars drivers.

If you can get me a private email address, I can send you updated USB?HCD.SYS test drivers that no longer rely on a specific config.sys ordering regarding USBD.SYS. You'll never have to touch your config.sys again :-)
It works here, once I know that it works for you I can release a new set of drivers.

Lars

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 08:59:24 am »

If you can get me a private email address, I can send you updated USB?HCD.SYS test drivers that no longer rely on a specific config.sys ordering regarding USBD.SYS. You'll never have to touch your config.sys again :-)
It works here, once I know that it works for you I can release a new set of drivers.

Lars

It is

dwgras at swbell dot net
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:01:32 am by David Graser »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2019, 05:13:21 am »
Ok, I just realized that I also need to update USBMSD.ADD and USBD.SYS. I will send the modified set as soon as I have tested all the changes.