Author Topic: ES/2 will be renamed e/OS2  (Read 20622 times)

RickCHodgin

ES/2 will be renamed e/OS2
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:58:21 am »
ES/1 will be renamed e/OS1.
ES/2 will be renamed e/OS2.

e/OS1 will be like a 32-bit graphical DOS with console and graphical windows, supporting fonts and basic graphics.

e/OS2 will be a 64-bit near clone of OS/2.  It will run a DOS-extended version of e/OS1 in lieu of DOS, and I'd like to add support for most Win32 apps, and some Win64 apps.

xynixme

Re: ES/2 will be renamed e/OS2
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:44:14 pm »
e/OS2

Including legal matters, this may not be the best choice. For example because another combination of the /, O, S and 2 is known as an old 32-bit OS, and the e & S with an inserted C didn't really change that. As if e/OS1 is the 16-bit version of Microsoft OS/2 1.0. With Gopher, because of the e.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 01:33:28 pm »
What should they be called?  ES/1 and ES/2? :-)

Their full names are Exodus/OS1, and Exodus/OS2.  The e/ is an abbreviation.

-----
UPDATE:
The /OSn is an abbreviation too.

Their full full names are:
Exodus Operating System 1
Exodus Operating System 2

I'm open to suggestions on the name.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:07:03 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 02:06:47 pm »
In doing a Google search, I don't find any exact references to "e/OS1" or "e/OS2" ... I think they are good names that are different enough from others they could be used.  If not ... I'm not married to them.  I'd change them for the asking by some concerned party of legitimate interest.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 11:35:07 pm »
It's a trademark. Don't touch other's trademark under any circumstances.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 11:56:31 pm »
It's a trademark. Don't touch other's trademark under any circumstances.

What's a trademark?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:06:27 am »
Hi

Something with the OS/2 name can be a potential problem.
You can search trademarks in the US here: https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

Here are the results attached.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 04:20:41 am »
What's a trademark?

Technically, trademarks and brands are just words that companies tells to their customers. Like IDs and numbers in a price list, but here lies roots of the problem known as "what is genuine and what is not".

If you will put a margarine in a box with picture of a cream-milk butter and start to sell it, people eventually will hate both you and your fake butter. Sooner or later, they will realize that it is a poison full of omega 6 trans fat (because it is a margarine from cotton oil, and omega 6 TF is a poison), and will start to buy 25%-fat baked milk and 50%-fat butter with a true vengeance (both contains a saturated fat, which keeps temperature of human body close to 36.6 C). They will treat your product as "not genuine" and will never buy it again.

To understand this particular example, you could read a book "Fat for Fuel" by Joseph Mercola. But there are same problems with other goods and services, from chocolate and green tea to clothes and shoes, from ballroom dances and relaxing music to... for example, software.

So... despite you would prefer to keep API compatibility, don't imitate other's trademark (including icons, fonts and colors) because people will feel that "this is not a genuine software".

RickCHodgin

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 05:09:46 am »
So... despite you would prefer to keep API compatibility, don't imitate other's trademark (including icons, fonts and colors) because people will feel that "this is not a genuine software".

Sergey, I'm not imitating anything, especially someone else's trademark.  The target is to be an OS/2 clone, but it is not "OS/2" it is "e/OS2" which is different.  And, if IBM has any problem with me using that convention I'll change it.

This is twice now you've suggested that I'm infringing on someone else's trademark.  I do not think that I am.  If there is a legal relationship between my name choice and OS/2, I'd like to have it pointed out explicitly as by example of former companies that could not use a particular name as by a judge's ruling due to similarities like mine.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:34:06 am »
Generally, trademark infringement revolves around whether people can be confused by the names. I'd think that e/OS2 and OS/2 are close enough to confuse people. Whether IBM would care at this point, who knows, but they do look similar and both describe an operating system.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 05:38:37 am »
Generally, trademark infringement revolves around whether people can be confused by the names. I'd think that e/OS2 and OS/2 are close enough to confuse people. Whether IBM would care at this point, who knows, but they do look similar and both describe an operating system.

I'm open to other names / suggestions.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »
Hi

I think that something that uses the "Warp" world can be good, since "Warp" is an English word on the dictionary. If the combinations with the Warp word is not trademarked already, there should not be any problem.

For example "eWarp" is already trademarked, "e/Warp" is not.
But anything can be used like "exWarp", "WarpOS", "I Can't Believe It's Not Warp" (there is a lot trademarked with "I Can't Believe It's Not <put the name here>" :)   

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
I seem to recall, that even IBM had to get permission, from whoever owns the rights to Star Trek, to use the word "Warp". I would expect that "Warp", "OS/2", "OS2" and all variations, would be difficult, at best. Even e/OS2, or ES/2, could be pushing the limits. IBM does not allow Arca Noae to use those terms. Of course, if it is completely new, not based at all, on what IBM owns (partly in partnership with Microsoft, which seems to be the biggest problem), the name could be less of a factor.

Be careful how you do, and describe, your development. The OS/2 license specifically prohibits reverse engineering of the code. You need to use publicly available documentation to determine how it all works, and lot of that is out of date, incomplete, or missing. I will note, that Arca Noae (and possibly the US government) has permission to do reverse engineering, so they can patch, and distribute, whatever they can figure out.

One thing, that IBM has, is an army of lawyers, which they don't use as often as one might expect, but if they decide to go after you, you will lose (at best, you won't be able to pay a lawyer enough to even begin to defend you). Best to take all possible steps to avoid that.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
ES/2 uses quantum slipstream drive:

http://www.libsf.org/images/es2.png

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 09:30:06 pm »
I seem to recall, that even IBM had to get permission, from whoever owns the rights to Star Trek, to use the word "Warp". I would expect that "Warp", "OS/2", "OS2" and all variations, would be difficult, at best. Even e/OS2, or ES/2, could be pushing the limits. IBM does not allow Arca Noae to use those terms. Of course, if it is completely new, not based at all, on what IBM owns (partly in partnership with Microsoft, which seems to be the biggest problem), the name could be less of a factor.

If you have a source that IBM paid Paramount please let me know.  I have this on this article:

OS/2 version 3.0 would also come with a new name, and unlike codenames in the past, IBM decided to put it right on the box. It was to be called OS/2 Warp. Warp stood for "warp speed," and this was meant to evoke power and velocity. Unfortunately, IBM’s famous lawyers were asleep on the job and forgot to run this by Paramount, owners of the Star Trek license. It turns out that IBM would need permission to simulate even a generic “jump to warp speed” on advertising for a consumer product, and Paramount wouldn’t give it. IBM was in a quandary. The name was already public, and the company couldn’t use Warp in any sense related to spaceships. IBM had to settle for the more classic meaning of Warp—something bent or twisted. This, needless to say, isn’t exactly the impression you want to give for a new product. At the launch of OS/2 Warp in 1994, Patrick Stewart was supposed to be the master of ceremonies, but he backed down and IBM was forced to settle for Voyager captain Kate Mulgrew.

I don't know about any IBM payment to Paramount, and IBM even hired Leonard Nemoy and Kate Mulgrew to promote OS/2, but IBM never said "Spock", "Enterprise" on their branding, and I'm not sure but I can not find anything saying "Warp Speed" from IBM.

AFAIK an English word can not be copyrighted and if it is trademarked (the single English word) it had be used with the use of a graphic. Of course, the action of suing will always depend how much money can be took from the other party.

One thing, that IBM has, is an army of lawyers, which they don't use as often as one might expect, but if they decide to go after you, you will lose (at best, you won't be able to pay a lawyer enough to even begin to defend you). Best to take all possible steps to avoid that.

Very unlikely, I don't think that is even time to use the de-motivational "IBM will sue you card" when there is nothing yet. IBM is not even going after the groups that publicly hack, modify and distribute the kernel binaries of OS/2, just because there is not business case to go after them, and IBM can not even say that it hurts the sales of OS/2. If Rick starts to get rich with ES/2 maybe there will be a business case to launch the pack of lawyers.  We want to respect the law because we want to play with the same set of rules, but when there is a lot of money any law can be "warped".

Anyways, the Paramount/IBM/Warp thing is very interesting, I hope I can find more about that subject eventually.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:52:51 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster