Author Topic: OS2 on emulation machine  (Read 8586 times)

mauro

• View Profile
OS2 on emulation machine
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:02:09 pm »
Good evening, maybe someone else has had same proposal; I presume it could be useful opening a dedicated section for what in the subject. Many users here are actually running OS2 in emulation with many specific details to discuss and solve. It could be Virtual Box, VMware or other environment. This because OS2 can now be easely "reloaded" without dealing with recent hardware compatibility issues, mostly overrided by the virtual machine interface.
Does it make sense?
Thank you

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Re: OS2 on emulation machine
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:06 pm »
Mhmm.. maybe development-wise.. sure : )
In the meaning of developing stuff to make OS/2 and co work nicely in VMs.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:15:55 pm »
I presume it could be useful opening a dedicated section for ... running OS2 in emulation with many specific details to discuss and solve. It could be Virtual Box, VMware or other environment...

I agree.  OS/2 is very handy in a virtual machine.  If networking was a little easier to setup (maybe with assistance in that new forum) I would use it more than I do now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:34:39 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:50:19 pm »
Yes, debugging some drivers in a VM, or debugging any other software in a VM. For example,
I developed my live CD/bootflash partially in a VM. The boot CD has options for enabling VBox
additions, or VPC additions, so it can be very comfortably run in a VM. The CD/flash is very
handy to test some software setups in VM's. If someone interested, I could give a link here.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:58:14 pm »
I use VBox, in windows, to run ArcaOS. The default settings, for OS/2 4.5, in VBox are ridiculous, but easy to change to something reasonable. Once you get a reasonable machine configured, it is easy to install ArcaOS (use Modern, not Virtual), and tweak it from there. The Virtual Machine config, in the ArcaOS installer, does work fine with the default VBox settings for OS/2 4.5, but the performance is dismal. Network support is as simple as starting the ArcaMapper app, and attach the resources that you want.

Somewhere, I posted instructions, but I can't find that now. The instructions were actually for eCS, but ArcaOS is pretty much the same thing.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:32:06 pm »
Hi

I tried to document something about running OS/2 as a virtual machine guest on the OS2World Wiki:
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Virtual_Machines

Even that it works fine, but doubts had always been what configuration and driver will perform better on a Virtual Machine.
For example, if we grab ArcaOS 5.0.3 running as guest on VirtualBox 6.0 (Windows host):
- What is better for sound? - Sound Blaster, ICH AC97 or Intel HD Audio, and which driver?
- Which is better for Networking?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:38:59 pm »
Also, now VirtualBox 6.0 gives you some different options for Video adapters. For the moment VboxVGA and VboxSVGA had worked for me, but no idea which one gives better performance.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:41:11 pm »
Also, now VirtualBox 6.0 gives you some different options for Video adapters. For the moment VboxVGA and VboxSVGA had worked for me, but no idea which one gives better performance.

Regards

by now I haven't seen changes in my OS2 W4.52 guest machine with this feature, meaning no new setting is appearing both in OS2 screen resolution panel and in the Vbox running machine menu.  Have tried all graphic card modes.
The only improvement obtained dealing with graphic resolution till now is "the custom resolution" that can be added in VBoxManage by the setextradata command line, also learned in this community  :)