WebSite Information > Comments, Suggestions & Questions

OS2 on emulation machine

(1/2) > >>

mauro:
Good evening, maybe someone else has had same proposal; I presume it could be useful opening a dedicated section for what in the subject. Many users here are actually running OS2 in emulation with many specific details to discuss and solve. It could be Virtual Box, VMware or other environment. This because OS2 can now be easely "reloaded" without dealing with recent hardware compatibility issues, mostly overrided by the virtual machine interface.
Does it make sense?
Thank you

Mathias:
Mhmm.. maybe development-wise.. sure : )
In the meaning of developing stuff to make OS/2 and co work nicely in VMs.

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: mauro on November 21, 2018, 08:02:09 pm ---I presume it could be useful opening a dedicated section for ... running OS2 in emulation with many specific details to discuss and solve. It could be Virtual Box, VMware or other environment...
--- End quote ---

I agree.  OS/2 is very handy in a virtual machine.  If networking was a little easier to setup (maybe with assistance in that new forum) I would use it more than I do now.

Valery Sedletski:
Yes, debugging some drivers in a VM, or debugging any other software in a VM. For example,
I developed my live CD/bootflash partially in a VM. The boot CD has options for enabling VBox
additions, or VPC additions, so it can be very comfortably run in a VM. The CD/flash is very
handy to test some software setups in VM's. If someone interested, I could give a link here.

Doug Bissett:
I use VBox, in windows, to run ArcaOS. The default settings, for OS/2 4.5, in VBox are ridiculous, but easy to change to something reasonable. Once you get a reasonable machine configured, it is easy to install ArcaOS (use Modern, not Virtual), and tweak it from there. The Virtual Machine config, in the ArcaOS installer, does work fine with the default VBox settings for OS/2 4.5, but the performance is dismal. Network support is as simple as starting the ArcaMapper app, and attach the resources that you want.

Somewhere, I posted instructions, but I can't find that now. The instructions were actually for eCS, but ArcaOS is pretty much the same thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version