Author Topic: eCS on an Asus X55U?  (Read 37854 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
eCS on an Asus X55U?
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:06 pm »
I have an Asus X55U laptop computer. Windows 8 is slow and driving me nuts.  >:( For some reason Microsoft thinks the start button is no longer needed. It makes finding things more difficult. The 'start screen' is really frustrating. I want to try installing eComStation onto it. Will it work or will it be a lot of frustration?  8) I bought eCS 2.0 not long ago.
BigGoofyGuy

shortslim

Re: eCS on an Asus X55U?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:52:11 pm »
What I did for my Windows 8 Laptop, is I bought Startdock's Start8 program.  It makes Windows 8 desktop look like Windows 7.  It cost me about 9 USD.  I don't know about ECS on your laptop, but on my desktop with an ASUS P8B75-m, it only partially works.  I am trying to solve a couple of problems with it.  I am waiting on ECS 2.2, which I hope will solve at least one of my problems.

jdeb

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:42:17 pm »
One way to find out. Drop a spare HD in it and go for it. Lets us know if it does.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
I don't have a spare HD to drop in it but I will check out the Stardock Start8 program. Thanks for the information.  8)
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

If waiting for eCS 2.2 is better choice than trying to use eCS 2.0, I might try installing eCS 2.0 onto my netbook with Win 7 limited on it.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:44 am »
If waiting for eCS 2.2 is better choice than trying to use eCS 2.0, I might try installing eCS 2.0 onto my netbook with Win 7 limited on it.

I would think that eCS 2.2 GA would be better than eCS 2.0. If you have access to Software Subscription, you could try eCS 2.1. The current beta eCS 2.2 is not usable, unless a new one has been released, as I write this. If you do decide to try eCS 2.0, you should review the information in: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/doc/eCs-2-on-modern-laptop-win7-rev-1.zip and http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/doc/TAMING_WIN7_V0_2_1.zip.

One thing to be sure that you do, is create the recovery disks (DVDs), so you can get back to where you started.

Another option, is to try eCS (any version, but 2.1 or newer is best) in a Virtual machine. I find that eCS 2.1, and a patched up eCS 2.2 beta, works pretty good in VirtualBox, under Win7 (home premium and PRO 64 bit). Just be sure to enable the virtual machine extensions, in your BIOS.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 03:36:09 am »
Thank you for the information. It is truly appreciated. Thanks.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 02:56:42 am »
I renewed my software subscription recently.  8)

Wit Windows 8, I am so over it. I grew weary of having to use Windows.  >:(
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:38 am »
I have tried to use the eCS 2.2 demo CD but there doesn't seem to be a BIOS screen (one where one usually clicks a F# to bring up the settings). I am trying to get it to boot from the CD drive. Am I missing something? I tried pressing F2 as it boots but it still goes to the Win 8 boot screen.  >:( I wonder if this will keep me from installing eCS 2.1 or 2.2?
BigGoofyGuy

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:28:37 am »
Hi Tom

This page shows how to access the setup and setup boot from cd/dvd.

It also reveals that it uses UEFI but has a "Legacy BIOS mode" option which you will need to Enable.

Good Luck  :-)

Regards

Pete

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:31 am »
Hi Tom

This page shows how to access the setup and setup boot from CD/DVD.

It also reveals that it uses UEFI but has a "Legacy BIOS mode" option which you will need to Enable.

Good Luck  :-)

Regards

Pete

Is there supposed to be a link here?

Thank you for the reply and the information.
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 05:47:21 pm »
http://www.canbike.ca/information-technology/2013/03/12/asus-uefi-boot-from-cd-dvd-x55u.html
I found a link that might help. It seems it also shows why Win 8 seems to run so slow on my computer.  :o I will give it a try.  8)

http://www.top-password.com/blog/set-windows-8-pc-to-boot-with-legacy-bios-mode-instead-of-uefi-mode/
Not my computer but seems to be similar solution. The person does not seem to be a big fan of Win 8 either.  ;D
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
How to Uninstall Windows 8, Install Windows 7 on Your PC / Perhaps eCS?
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:10 pm »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp
I guess un-installing Win 8 is not an uncommon thing to do. Perhaps the same precedure could be used to install eCS?  8)
BigGoofyGuy

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 04:30:31 am »
Hi Tom

Apologies, no idea what happened to the url at the end of the "This page..." line.

I see you found the right page anyway - Google can be useful, sometimes  :-)

Yes, looks like http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp would be the way to go - except use an eCS CD/DVD instead of Windows7 CD/DVD  :-)

Regards

Pete

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:55 pm »
Thank you for the recommendation and the link. It is appreciated.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
SUCCESS.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 04:15:01 am »
I tried it and it works. I am a happy camper.  8)

I tried the eCS 2.2 demo CD. It ran nicely and fast. It ran a lot faster than the Windows 8 did.

I learned from the one site that the Asus X55U did not really meet the requirements to run Windows 8 but it does seem more than enough to run eComStation 2.2.

After I backed up some files, I will give either eCS 2.1 or ReactOS 0.3.15 a try.  ::)
BigGoofyGuy