Author Topic: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest  (Read 61283 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 10:45:50 pm »
What happens if you run lvmgui or minilvm?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 12:48:05 pm »
Looks like when you installed the USB drivers and maybe still, there was/is no USB hardware

means that devices had to be connected during the drivers installation?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »
What happens if you run lvmgui or minilvm?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
Hi mauro,
  The 2 screen grabs are from my workstation with OS/2 - not a vbox install.

In the logical view the USB stick appears as Phys D7 and shows the drive letter y:
The physical view shows the same stick as STORE N GO with the drive letter Y: and FAT 32

Since you don't seem able to see any USB sticks I think that your problem might well be that you haven't given it any LVM information and/or the stick isn't formatted fat32 or hpfs or jfs those being the only formats that os/2 understands.  You can check the LVM information, or lack of it, using DFSee.  DFSee will also add the missing LVM information if it isn't there and is also able to format the USB stick as fat32.

Out of curiosity, why don't you use the 'attachments and other options' available here to post your screen shots?  It saves having to go to another site and then return back here.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 04:16:12 pm »
Looks like when you installed the USB drivers and maybe still, there was/is no USB hardware

Possibly, can you post the part of your config.sys that has the USB device drivers listed?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 08:45:52 pm »
Hi mauro,
  The 2 screen grabs are from my workstation with OS/2 - not a vbox install.

In the logical view the USB stick appears as Phys D7 and shows the drive letter y:
The physical view shows the same stick as STORE N GO with the drive letter Y: and FAT 32

Since you don't seem able to see any USB sticks I think that your problem might well be that you haven't given it any LVM information and/or the stick isn't formatted fat32 or hpfs or jfs those being the only formats that os/2 understands.  You can check the LVM information, or lack of it, using DFSee.  DFSee will also add the missing LVM information if it isn't there and is also able to format the USB stick as fat32.
Out of curiosity, why don't you use the 'attachments and other options' available here to post your screen shots?  It saves having to go to another site and then return back here.
Hi Ivan, i take your suggestion for Attachements and other options.  Have also have installed DFsee.
Here you find what DFsee shows, again LVMgui with both physical/logical volume display, my USB stick infoes taken in Win 10, the Resources Manager display in OS2 Warp 4.52 (Vbox guest system), the VBox USB connected Menu . Everything tells that no USB device is being detected although it is connected in Vbox filter.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 08:46:55 pm »
Hi Doug, I have not prepared anything for OS2, believing that the sufficient requisite were Fat32 fs driver and the USB driver installed.

Bad assumption. You must prepare the stick for use with OS/2, but you need to get it mounted first. If OS/2 can't understand the file system, it should still mount the device, but it will complain that it needs to be formatted.

-If I go to x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox I don't recognize anything usefull except for the folder ExtensionPacks whick contains directories with the name of other OS, none about OS2.
- if I go to the link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing I read references to the Extension Pack which, again, is same I already have.

From what you say here, I think you have installed the extensions pack in VBox, but you haven't installed them in the OS/2 guest. Open the guest, then click (in the VBox menu) Devices-> Insert Guest additions CD image (the bottom option - nothing will be apparent). Now use the Drives object to open the CD drive. One of the directories is called "OS/2" Open that. READ Readme.txt, and follow the instructions. HOWEVER, if you have installed the LIBC support, in any other way, DO NOT overwrite any of those files with the ones from the CD. The files on the CD image are old. Reboot, and you should see the extensions load from Startup.CMD. Then, you should be able to mount the USB device.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:11 pm »

Possibly, can you post the part of your config.sys that has the USB device drivers listed?

Hi Dave, here I attach my config.sys lines about IFS and USB :

IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:C
IFS=C:\OS2\FAT32.IFS /cache:2048 /h /q /ac:* /largefiles
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /Q /W
IFS=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETWKSTA.200 /I:C:\IBMLAN /N
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\VBoxSF.ifs
REM BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$
REM BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
REM BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\apps\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBAUDIO.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS

thank you

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 09:32:02 pm »
Well with BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS remmed out, you're never going to read a USB stick.
I'd suggest downloading and installing Lars's drivers from Hobbes, read the README twice, and going with them. They're quite good, the price is right and they handle large sticks mostly fine so you don't have to screw around with partitioning and adding LVM info.
I believe these are the latest, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbdrv225.zip
Don't have much experience with VBox, so can't help with that but I guess your 4.52 install picked UHCD so it's correct and if not, a simple editing of the config.sys will fix.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 09:39:05 pm »
You could also install http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb075.zip which should help you decide exactly which lines need adding and you could test with your current drivers. If they're the ones that came with 4.51, they really should be updated as they followed the official spec instead of doing things the MS way.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 11:08:25 pm »
As Dave says without a USB host controller driver you are never going to see any USB device.

To help speed things up I have attached HCIMONIT.EXE just run it in an OS/2 Command window and it will give the information you need to know. 

You will also need to remove the REM from most of the USB items.  If hcimonit shows more than one host controller it needs to appear that many times in config.sys

There is also the output of hcimonit from my workstation.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 03:31:57 pm »
Time to step in I guess:

Virtualbox aka VBOX emulates exactly one OHCI USB host controller for USB 1.x and, if you enable USB 2.0, exactly one EHCI host controller, regardless of what HW you PHYSICALLY have in your PC.
That said, this is what you need in your config.sys in the OS/2 guest installation to get things to work:
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS

and then, of course, the various USB class drivers, usually that is:
BASEDEV= USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:5 /FLOPPIES:0 /CDS:1 (as an example)

BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
Please note that you really do not need to install the HID/KBD/MOUSE drivers as VBOX emulates a PS/2 mouse and PS/2 keyboard even if you use a USB mouse !

What you then need to do when you plug in a USB stick is to "pass over" the USB stick from the host to the guest. That works via the VBOX GUI where you can explicitely claim a USB device from the host in which case it will disappear in the host and show up in the guest.
You can even automate this step for a specific device the moment that device is plugged in (read the VBOX manual on how that is done). Once the stick is "passed over" it will pop up in OS/2 just like in a native installation.

Lars
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:35:58 pm by Lars »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 07:33:58 pm »
Time to step in I guess:

Virtualbox aka VBOX emulates exactly one OHCI USB host controller for USB 1.x and, if you enable USB 2.0, exactly one EHCI host controller, regardless of what HW you PHYSICALLY have in your PC.
That said, this is what you need in your config.sys in the OS/2 guest installation to get things to work:
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS

and then, of course, the various USB class drivers, usually that is:
BASEDEV= USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:5 /FLOPPIES:0 /CDS:1 (as an example)

BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
Please note that you really do not need to install the HID/KBD/MOUSE drivers as VBOX emulates a PS/2 mouse and PS/2 keyboard even if you use a USB mouse !

What you then need to do when you plug in a USB stick is to "pass over" the USB stick from the host to the guest. That works via the VBOX GUI where you can explicitely claim a USB device from the host in which case it will disappear in the host and show up in the guest.
You can even automate this step for a specific device the moment that device is plugged in (read the VBOX manual on how that is done). Once the stick is "passed over" it will pop up in OS/2 just like in a native installation.

Lars

Hi Lars, let me begin from the last: I confirm that VBox passes over the usb resource connected in the Host just recalling it from the Device/Usb menu in the active Guest window, and at same time it disappear from the Host, at least this is correct.

Then, I have modified the config.sys as suggested.  Here what happens:

-the system initially boots with a USBEHCD.SYS controller not found warning, but no problem after that, it boots regularly. Also the USBMOUSE.SYS and USBKB.SYS warning was expected, it desappear by remming out the two lines in config,sys.

-in my OS2 Drives now I see one more drive. Before this, I had A-B with floppy icon (not ready when called), C OS2 installation, D CD/DVD drive or ISO (working), E Vbox shared folder.   
   With the new situation I have same A-B-C-D,  E is now iconized as a CD/DVD removable but not ready when called and I think that it could represent the new usb stick volume,  F is now what E use to be (Vbox shared folder).

-I had connected to the Guest system 3 usb device consisting in one old Blackberry, one Canon Lide 100 scanner, and of course the Kingstone Data Traveler 109 USB stick. They're connected into an USB HUB. These four hardware resources appeared somehow listed in the OS2 Resource Manager.

Here below the images of what described

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:46:53 pm by mauro »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 07:57:59 pm »
What does LVM show now? My guess is that you are now running into the situation where OS/2 can't handle your sticks. This is usually due to most all sticks appearing as large floppy drives and OS/2 only being able to handle them up to 2GBs.
You have a choice, fix the sticks by partitioning and adding LVM. I believe you said you have DFSee, which is good at doing this, see under the scripts menu IIRC. Or installing Lars's drivers. Lars's drivers have lots of bug fixes and a workaround to handle sticks formatted as large floppies, as well you can back up your old drivers while doing so so not that hard to go back. There's also the vbox snapshot feature.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 09:30:57 pm »
What does LVM show now? My guess is that you are now running into the situation where OS/2 can't handle your sticks. This is usually due to most all sticks appearing as large floppy drives and OS/2 only being able to handle them up to 2GBs.
You have a choice, fix the sticks by partitioning and adding LVM. I believe you said you have DFSee, which is good at doing this, see under the scripts menu IIRC. Or installing Lars's drivers. Lars's drivers have lots of bug fixes and a workaround to handle sticks formatted as large floppies, as well you can back up your old drivers while doing so so not that hard to go back. There's also the vbox snapshot feature.

lvmgui does not open anymore, the config.sys modifications is causing something wrong with it.   I've the mind that usb volume format/size isn't the problem, since none of the usb devices appear to work