Author Topic: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest  (Read 61271 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 09:36:34 pm »

HI Doug

Hi Doug, I have not prepared anything for OS2, believing that the sufficient requisite were Fat32 fs driver and the USB driver installed.

Bad assumption. You must prepare the stick for use with OS/2, but you need to get it mounted first. If OS/2 can't understand the file system, it should still mount the device, but it will complain that it needs to be formatted.

this is not happening: no USB volume detected is the situation

-If I go to x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox I don't recognize anything usefull except for the folder ExtensionPacks whick contains directories with the name of other OS, none about OS2.
- if I go to the link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing I read references to the Extension Pack which, again, is same I already have.
From what you say here, I think you have installed the extensions pack in VBox, but you haven't installed them in the OS/2 guest. Open the guest, then click (in the VBox menu) Devices-> Insert Guest additions CD image (the bottom option - nothing will be apparent). Now use the Drives object to open the CD drive. One of the directories is called "OS/2" Open that. READ Readme.txt, and follow the instructions. HOWEVER, if you have installed the LIBC support, in any other way, DO NOT overwrite any of those files with the ones from the CD. The files on the CD image are old. Reboot, and you should see the extensions load from Startup.CMD. Then, you should be able to mount the USB device.

Vbox Guest Additions are correctly installed in OS2 as per readme instructions: mouse integration, clipboard integration, shared folder, video driver, everything which comes with the OS2 Guest Addition installation is working

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2018, 01:37:22 am »
lvmgui does not open anymore, the config.sys modifications is causing something wrong with it.   I've the mind that usb volume format/size isn't the problem, since none of the usb devices appear to work

What about regular LVM? Type lvm in at a cmd prompt.
Also try rebooting with a stick attached. I've had sticks that only showed up if inserted before booting and never showed up if inserted. These were fixed by reformatting and redoing the LVM stuff.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 01:39:33 am »
Vbox Guest Additions are correctly installed in OS2 as per readme instructions: mouse integration, clipboard integration, shared folder, video driver, everything which comes with the OS2 Guest Addition installation is working

Hope you didn't downgrade libc accidentally. The official additions comes with an old libc066.dll along with the forwarder DLLSs.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2018, 09:38:14 am »

Hope you didn't downgrade libc accidentally. The official additions comes with an old libc066.dll along with the forwarder DLLSs.

Hi Dave
no, the most recent version of the LIBC downloaded from netlabs repositories are untouched, I've skipped that step installing the additions, furthermore now I switched to the saved version of the config.sys before these specific modification, and lvmgui is back. Not even the simple lvm was working before this.  My mind about those warning lines appearing on booting (see image) is they're indicating something like "these controller/drivers are not present, and the rem on their lines in the config.sys are for this reason", of course I had not remmed those config.sys lines myself, it should have done automatically in an installation of something, maybe the USB 11.17 driver downloaded from The Arca Noae subscription.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 11:32:56 am »
As Dave says without a USB host controller driver you are never going to see any USB device.

To help speed things up I have attached HCIMONIT.EXE just run it in an OS/2 Command window and it will give the information you need to know. 

You will also need to remove the REM from most of the USB items.  If hcimonit shows more than one host controller it needs to appear that many times in config.sys

There is also the output of hcimonit from my workstation.

no valid command - program - batch file  :-[

still to be installed in the system?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2018, 04:48:05 pm »
It is not a standard install program, which is why I posted it.  Just copy hcimonit.exe to C:\os2 and then run it again but as Lars said it should show the same as my screen grab - one ohci and one ehci.

Sorry I can't be of much help but I only use VBox with OS/2 as host to run one program in win XP which is the opposite of what you are doing.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 06:29:29 pm »
It is not a standard install program, which is why I posted it.  Just copy hcimonit.exe to C:\os2 and then run it again but as Lars said it should show the same as my screen grab - one ohci and one ehci.

Sorry I can't be of much help but I only use VBox with OS/2 as host to run one program in win XP which is the opposite of what you are doing.

understood.  here's what found after runned HCIMONIT.EXE

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 06:41:41 pm »
Why do you keep ignoring what people are telling you ?

1) you need to load USBD in any case: BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
2) you have one OHCI host controller, you need to load BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
3) if you enable USB 2.0 in the VBOX gui, you need to add yet another driver: BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
4) you have to load USBD.SYS before you load USBHID.SYS, else USBHID.SYS is not going to load
5) you neither need USBHID.SYS, nor USBKBD.SYS nor USBMOUSE.SYS becauseVBOX emulates a PS//2 mouse and keyboard
6) you do not need to load USBUHCD.SYS, never, ever

You can now continue fumbling around with your system or you can do it right.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 07:37:54 pm »
Why do you keep ignoring what people are telling you ?

1) you need to load USBD in any case: BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
2) you have one OHCI host controller, you need to load BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
3) if you enable USB 2.0 in the VBOX gui, you need to add yet another driver: BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
4) you have to load USBD.SYS before you load USBHID.SYS, else USBHID.SYS is not going to load
5) you neither need USBHID.SYS, nor USBKBD.SYS nor USBMOUSE.SYS becauseVBOX emulates a PS//2 mouse and keyboard
6) you do not need to load USBUHCD.SYS, never, ever

You can now continue fumbling around with your system or you can do it right.

Lars, I'm swimming among all your indications posted which I entirely appreciate. I'm applying time by time everything suggested and providing feedback after that, as you could understand I'm not confortable working with this system but I like it, and thanks to this forum members help have successfully implemented something like: WPS printing system, Vbox guest addition, Firefox 45.5.9, Videolan 3.02, rmp-yum package manager, video drivers additional resolution mode and other minor implementations.  This said just to tell that I can get almost everywhere with a little bit of patience, although limited both by language and knowledge filters .
Anyhow -back to the topic- , my config.sys was already modified as per you indication, I repeat here below the lines, maybe you still find something wrong :
REM BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
REM BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
BASEDEV= USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:5 /FLOPPIES:0 /CDS:1
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\apps\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS

here below I attach what booting messages say (anyway it boots regularly), what HCIMONIT shows, and what USBCFG shows (before the panel appears I have to click many times OK on the GTDESK.DLL error message, although it is present in C:\OS2\DLL as it should be).
Thank you

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 02:33:22 am »
Hi mauro

Being the author of USBcfg I am a bit surprised at the GETDESC.DLL failure. There are 2 possible causes that I am aware of:-

1] The GETDESC.DLL cannot be found

2] The driver files do not contain any buildlevel information

As you state that GETDESC.DLL is in \os2\dll it should be found - as long as \os\dll is in the config.sys libpath statement

All USB driver files from IBM, Lars Erdmann and ArcaOS/David Azarewicz that I have used contain buildlevel information which, I think, rules out 2] above.

The base USB drivers you need for 1 OHCI and 1 EHCI driver are:-

BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

Notice no parameters to USBD.SYS

If you want USB Mouse/Keyboard add this line:-

BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

(If using as a guest in VBox you may not need the above line)

If you want USB drive and CD support add these lines:-

BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD /CDS:1
BASEDEV= USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0

It might also be worth reading the USBcfg Help FAQ "USB Storage FAQ Introduction" which, while a little dated, contains information about preparing and using USB drives in OS/2.

Hope the above is of some help. I would also be interested in discovering the cause of the GETDESC.DLL failure.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2018, 05:32:52 am »
Your photo gallery shows the additions driver loading. Do you see the rest, as loaded by VBoxService.exe in STARTUP.CMD? You can make that stay on screen, by not having an EXIT command at the end. It should show a few lines indicating the status of the program. Something similar to:
Code: [Select]
[C:\]C:\OS2Additions\VBoxService.exe
VBoxService 5.2.20 r125813 (verbosity: 0) os2.x86 (Oct 15 2018 16:28:06) release
 log
00:00:00.430000 main     Log opened 2018-12-17T04:28:49.058000000Z
00:00:00.450000 main     OS Product: OS/2
00:00:00.450000 main     OS Release: 1
00:00:00.450000 main     OS Version: 2.45
00:00:00.470000 main     Executable: C:\OS2ADDITIONS\VBOXSERVICE.EXE
00:00:00.470000 main     Process ID: 32
00:00:00.470000 main     Package type: OS2_32BITS_GENERIC
00:00:00.510000 main     5.2.20 r125813 started. Verbose level = 0
[C:\]

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 07:00:06 am »
Hi mauro

Being the author of USBcfg I am a bit surprised at the GETDESC.DLL failure. There are 2 possible causes that I am aware of:-

1] The GETDESC.DLL cannot be found

2] The driver files do not contain any buildlevel information

As you state that GETDESC.DLL is in \os2\dll it should be found - as long as \os\dll is in the config.sys libpath statement

All USB driver files from IBM, Lars Erdmann and ArcaOS/David Azarewicz that I have used contain buildlevel information which, I think, rules out 2] above.

The base USB drivers you need for 1 OHCI and 1 EHCI driver are:-

BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS

Notice no parameters to USBD.SYS

BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

If you want USB drive and CD support add these lines:-

BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD /CDS:1
BASEDEV= USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0

It might also be worth reading the USBcfg Help FAQ "USB Storage FAQ Introduction" which, while a little dated, contains information about preparing and using USB drives in OS/2.

Hope the above is of some help. I would also be interested in discovering the cause of the GETDESC.DLL failure.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, thank you, I will get back on those lines as possible, and let you know.  For the GETDESC.DLL appearently missing (but after some attempts usbcfg runs) confirm that it is in the right OS2\DLL folder and the line of DLL calls is in the config.sys as well.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2018, 07:02:39 am »
Your photo gallery shows the additions driver loading. Do you see the rest, as loaded by VBoxService.exe in STARTUP.CMD? You can make that stay on screen, by not having an EXIT command at the end. It should show a few lines indicating the status of the program. Something similar to:
Code: [Select]
[C:\]C:\OS2Additions\VBoxService.exe
VBoxService 5.2.20 r125813 (verbosity: 0) os2.x86 (Oct 15 2018 16:28:06) release
 log
00:00:00.430000 main     Log opened 2018-12-17T04:28:49.058000000Z
00:00:00.450000 main     OS Product: OS/2
00:00:00.450000 main     OS Release: 1
00:00:00.450000 main     OS Version: 2.45
00:00:00.470000 main     Executable: C:\OS2ADDITIONS\VBOXSERVICE.EXE
00:00:00.470000 main     Process ID: 32
00:00:00.470000 main     Package type: OS2_32BITS_GENERIC
00:00:00.510000 main     5.2.20 r125813 started. Verbose level = 0
[C:\]

Hi Doug, a shadow copy of Vboxservice.exe is in the Startup folder (OS2 system folder), not in STARTUP.CMD

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 07:09:34 am »
Hi Doug, a shadow copy of Vboxservice.exe is in the Startup folder (OS2 system folder), not in STARTUP.CMD

The instructions say to put it in STARTUP.CMD. I never even thought about trying that in the Startup folder. It may be starting too late, or not even running.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 09:12:25 am »

BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

Hi Pete,
this is not sufficient for native USB keyboard and mouse support.

But in any case, in order to keep things simple and to not confuse Mauro any further, I strongly recommend to NOT specify any HID drivers (USBHID.SYs, USBKBD.SYS, USBMOUSE.SYS) at all. That's because for the guest, VBOX properly emulates a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse, no matter what physical keyboard and mouse HW you use.
In short: you need no USB drivers in the guest to have keyboard and mouse support in VBOX.

Lars