Author Topic: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest  (Read 61259 times)

mauro

• View Profile
USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:49:26 pm »
Good evening all, I have installed USB 11.17 and fat32-5_0_0 drivers on the system in the subject, believing that it was enough to make at least my 8 Gb usb stick fat 32 formatted being recognized/read as connected.
But it is not, like no other usb connected peripheral device is.
I have tried both settings selections in VBox guest config: USB 1.1 OHCI and USB 2.0 EHCI (thinking was useless trying with USB 3.0 as well) with no success.
I can correctly select and connect the usb device listed in the Device Menu of Vbox menubar while the guest machine is running, but then it results not connected in OS2.
This is what appears in the OS2 Hardware Manager :

Does anyone has experience with this  ?
Thank you all

Joop

• View Profile
Re: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:22:38 pm »
USB is a bit tricky. Depends on what motherboard you have. There are more ports on your motherboard and it greatly depends what number they have.
I use this:
REM ** Werkende opzet op 14-08-2005 (Poort georienteerd) **
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:6

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:08:33 am »
I use USB sticks, with ArcaOS, or eCS, in VBox under win 10. I know that Linux, and Apple, hosts complicate using things like that (I think you need special permissions). You need to read the VBox instructions, for whatever your host operating system is.

With win 10 as host, all you need to do, is install the USB drivers, AND, the OS/2 extensions (essential), in the guest. The easiest way to use it, is to mount the device in windows, then enable it to be used by VBox (the USB icon, at the bottom of the VBox window). That device is then only available to the guest in VBox, until you unmount (eject) it. Then, it isn't attached to the host, or the guest, until you physically disconnect it, and connect it again. Some experimenting will likely be required, to figure out how to use that feature.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »
USB is a bit tricky. Depends on what motherboard you have. There are more ports on your motherboard and it greatly depends what number they have.
I use this:
REM ** Werkende opzet op 14-08-2005 (Poort georienteerd) **
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:6

thank you, I've added that line in my config.sys, but is causing this at system startup:

and I still cannot open the usb volume.  What was in D before -Vbox ide secondary master for DVD or ISO image- now shifts to E (was the Vbox shared folder before),  and trying to open D returns that error code.  No more shared folder then.
It's a mess.
Should be due to wrong the device number

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 02:27:29 pm »
I use USB sticks, with ArcaOS, or eCS, in VBox under win 10. I know that Linux, and Apple, hosts complicate using things like that (I think you need special permissions). You need to read the VBox instructions, for whatever your host operating system is.

With win 10 as host, all you need to do, is install the USB drivers, AND, the OS/2 extensions (essential), in the guest. The easiest way to use it, is to mount the device in windows, then enable it to be used by VBox (the USB icon, at the bottom of the VBox window). That device is then only available to the guest in VBox, until you unmount (eject) it. Then, it isn't attached to the host, or the guest, until you physically disconnect it, and connect it again. Some experimenting will likely be required, to figure out how to use that feature.

Yes Doug, I have same Win 10 host and perform same actions to connect-disconnect the usb volume from host to guest and viceversa.  But I'm missing the OS2 Essentials, can you tell were to get it?
Thank you

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 03:09:44 pm »

Yes Doug, I have same Win 10 host and perform same actions to connect-disconnect the usb volume from host to guest and viceversa.  But I'm missing the OS2 Essentials, can you tell were to get it?
Thank you

They come with VBOX, as a virtual CD, it automatically shows up the  first time you install the program and the image can also be found in x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox, the oracle proprietary extension package also needs to be installed for the USB pass through to work

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 06:50:31 pm »

Thank you

They come with VBOX, as a virtual CD, it automatically shows up the  first time you install the program and the image can also be found in x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox, the oracle proprietary extension package also needs to be installed for the USB pass through to work

ah, you  ment the VBox extension pack, yes had it already installed and in use.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46:56 am »

Thank you

No he meant the OS/2 integration drivers included on the ISO, the extensions pack is another prerequisite that I added just to be sure. If you have both installed and are running Win 10 you should be OK.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 10:52:25 am »

No he meant the OS/2 integration drivers included on the ISO, the extensions pack is another prerequisite that I added just to be sure. If you have both installed and are running Win 10 you should be OK.

OK, I misunderstood, but need further help if I can ask for it.
-If I go to x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox I don't recognize anything usefull except for the folder ExtensionPacks whick contains directories with the name of other OS, none about OS2.
- if I go to the link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing I read references to the Extension Pack which, again, is same I already have.

So, I'm sure missing one or more step to get to the point.
Thank you

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:25 pm »

OK, I misunderstood, but need further help if I can ask for it.
-If I go to x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox I don't recognize anything usefull except for the folder ExtensionPacks whick contains directories with the name of other OS, none about OS2.
- if I go to the link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing I read references to the Extension Pack which, again, is same I already have.

So, I'm sure missing one or more step to get to the point.
Thank you

If you go to "Devices" in the VBox menu and choose "Optical Drive" and then "choose disk image" and point the folder to x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox you will see an ISO file called "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso". The ISO contains a folder called OS/2 that includes drivers and a redme that explains (somewhat tersely) how to install them, it may be a misunderstanding and you may already have installed these, but they are not the same as the Extension pack, they are drivers that allow OS/2 (the Client) to interact better with VBox, while the Extension pack is something that allows VBox to interact better with Windows (the Host).

The Extension Pack is a prerequisite for USB pass-through, while the Guest Additions generally make using OS/2 on VBox smoother. If I understand you correctly you have the former installed but not the latter?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:54:59 pm »

If you go to "Devices" in the VBox menu and choose "Optical Drive" and then "choose disk image" and point the folder to x:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox you will see an ISO file called "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso". The ISO contains a folder called OS/2 that includes drivers and a redme that explains (somewhat tersely) how to install them, it may be a misunderstanding and you may already have installed these, but they are not the same as the Extension pack, they are drivers that allow OS/2 (the Client) to interact better with VBox, while the Extension pack is something that allows VBox to interact better with Windows (the Host).

The Extension Pack is a prerequisite for USB pass-through, while the Guest Additions generally make using OS/2 on VBox smoother. If I understand you correctly you have the former installed but not the latter?

Thank you Olafur, so it just was the "Virtual Box Guest Additions". Sorry but I was looking for something else since this definition was a little bit hidden in this thread.
I already have installed the Valery Sedletski advanced Vbox guest additions (see topic https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1905.0.html) and they work

don't know any other misterious reason why the USB volume could not be read from my OS2 Vbox installation.

Maybe ifs G.A. module conflicting with the FAT 32 driver? Just trying to guess...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 09:10:19 pm »
don't know any other misterious reason why the USB volume could not be read from my OS2 Vbox installation.

Is the USB stick properly prepared for use with OS/2? It needs to have a partition created (by OS/2), then it needs to be formatted with a file system that OS/2 knows about. If it was created by windows, it won't work if it is larger than 2 GB, unless you are using Lars' USB drivers, which fudge the partition stuff for OS/2 (I am not convinced that that is a good idea, but it seems to work).

Does it work in a real OS/2 system? Boot the installer (on the real system), go to the System Management thing, and see what the tools think of the stick.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 10:56:48 pm »
Hi

My suggestions are:

1) Check that the USB device is being recognize on the OS/2 VBOX guest. Check it with a mouse, keyboard, or an USB flash drive.  Maybe you can use lsusb (usb.ids and some gcc libraries are required to run it)

With that you will be sure that the USB devices are being mounted correctly to the virtual guest.

2) Prepare the USB stick to be recognized by OS/2 (like Doug says). There is some documentation like:
- Prepare the FAT32 USB Flash Drive
- Formatting USB Drive for OS/2

I hope it helps

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »

Is the USB stick properly prepared for use with OS/2? It needs to have a partition created (by OS/2), then it needs to be formatted with a file system that OS/2 knows about. If it was created by windows, it won't work if it is larger than 2 GB, unless you are using Lars' USB drivers, which fudge the partition stuff for OS/2 (I am not convinced that that is a good idea, but it seems to work).

Does it work in a real OS/2 system? Boot the installer (on the real system), go to the System Management thing, and see what the tools think of the stick.

Hi Doug, I have not prepared anything for OS2, believing that the sufficient requisite were Fat32 fs driver and the USB driver installed. Apart of it, if you see the picture in the first post, it seems like the USB devices have the driver ready but no device is connected/ready to work as no irq/dma address appear associated with.  Lars'USB drivers "fudge the partition stuff" is something that I cannot fully translate. If it means that something else is not going to work anymore or preventing other system funcionality, then I would prefer not to try that.
I've no physical OS2 system available.

Thank you

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:34 pm »
Looks like when you installed the USB drivers and maybe still, there was/is no USB hardware