Author Topic: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest  (Read 61269 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »
Hi mauro

Either drag'n'drop the file usbcfg.exe onto the pmdll program object or start pmdll and then select usbcfg.exe as the executable to load.

Regards

Pete

Pete, drag'n'drop usbcfg.exe onto the pmdll program object is just what I did to have the result shown in that picture.  Maybe there is something else to recall in a pmmdl window menu?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »
Hi mauro

The pmdll output image shows it is checking GETDESC.DLL not usbcfg.exe

In pmdll Options I have the following checked:-

Load System DLLs
Test load DLLs
Tree View

Using File, Select I select drive, directory and usbcfg.exe.

That results in usbcfg.exe being test loaded and checked - see attached Captured1.jpg

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2018, 09:10:42 pm »
Hi mauro

The pmdll output image shows it is checking GETDESC.DLL not usbcfg.exe

In pmdll Options I have the following checked:-

Load System DLLs
Test load DLLs
Tree View

Using File, Select I select drive, directory and usbcfg.exe.

That results in usbcfg.exe being test loaded and checked - see attached Captured1.jpg

Regards

Pete

your're right Pete, sorry I thought you were indicating same files operations as before.
Here below is what it shows as entire tree (a bit of merge work, it is a long vertical picture)

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2018, 09:39:53 pm »
delete these 3 lines and replace with:

BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0 /CDS:1
That'll get you up to 8 USB sticks/disks, up to 1 USB CD-ROM drive and up to zero USB floppy drives.

USBCDROM.ADD is completely bogus (but it won't hurt if you load it …)

ok thank you, now the situation appears to be lean, no more warnings anywhere.
Resuming: 
with these lines on USB devices in config.sys

REM BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\apps\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS

the system boots with no warning lines, no error windows as the desktop loads, and I have those drive/devices A to F as expected, where E (iconized as a removable disk) should be the usb stick which refuses to open as device not ready, F is the Vbox shared folder and D is the CD/DVD/ISO removable, as before.
Still cannot handle the USB stick volume but I think have moved a step forward from my first help request post.
I'm slightly optimist
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:42:04 pm by mauro »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:53 pm »
Hi mauro

The output from pmdll indicates no problems...

Must admit that at the moment I have no idea why the usbcfg.exe call to GETDESC.DLL fails.

With regard to accessing a usb stick: If the usb stick is larger than 2Gb you need to "prepare" it before you can use it - see the USBcfg Help FAQs.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2018, 12:05:02 am »
the system boots with no warning lines, no error windows as the desktop loads, and I have those drive/devices A to F as expected, where E (iconized as a removable disk) should be the usb stick which refuses to open as device not ready,

Hmmm. This indicates that you are using a version of OS/2, that does not auto mount USB devices (so old, that I had forgotten about that). I don't remember what you need to do to get a USB device mounted, in that case. With an LVM based version of OS/2 the command "LVM.EXE /RediscoverPRM" should mount it, but there should be no icon, until it is mounted (which is why I suspect an older, pre-LVM, system). That may also explain the "Not Ready" message.

Another possibility, is that the stick has been left dirty, and requires a CHKDSK /F to make it usable. Be sure to EJECT the device, before removing it. EJECT should work, if the device is not compatible with OS/2, but you may see the "Not Ready" message too. I also don't know whether you will be able to initialize the device, for use with OS/2, or not, without LVM.

Just trying to come up with other possibilities.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2018, 06:55:33 am »
Hi mauro

The output from pmdll indicates no problems...

Must admit that at the moment I have no idea why the usbcfg.exe call to GETDESC.DLL fails.

With regard to accessing a usb stick: If the usb stick is larger than 2Gb you need to "prepare" it before you can use it - see the USBcfg Help FAQs.

Regards

Pete

OK

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2018, 07:00:15 am »
the system boots with no warning lines, no error windows as the desktop loads, and I have those drive/devices A to F as expected, where E (iconized as a removable disk) should be the usb stick which refuses to open as device not ready,

Hmmm. This indicates that you are using a version of OS/2, that does not auto mount USB devices (so old, that I had forgotten about that). I don't remember what you need to do to get a USB device mounted, in that case. With an LVM based version of OS/2 the command "LVM.EXE /RediscoverPRM" should mount it, but there should be no icon, until it is mounted (which is why I suspect an older, pre-LVM, system). That may also explain the "Not Ready" message.

Another possibility, is that the stick has been left dirty, and requires a CHKDSK /F to make it usable. Be sure to EJECT the device, before removing it. EJECT should work, if the device is not compatible with OS/2, but you may see the "Not Ready" message too. I also don't know whether you will be able to initialize the device, for use with OS/2, or not, without LVM.

Just trying to come up with other possibilities.

it is the OS2 Warp 4.52 .  Do you think -apart from preparing the volume >2Gb  that I'll try to do-  Lars'driver installation could be useful in this situation ?

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2018, 03:45:56 pm »
No.

Get a newer OS version. Warp is dead. On OS/2 versions without LVM there is no decent way to assign drive letters to removables.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2018, 05:13:43 pm »
No.

Get a newer OS version. Warp is dead. On OS/2 versions without LVM there is no decent way to assign drive letters to removables.

Isn't 4.52 the second convenience pack which has LVM?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »
it is the OS2 Warp 4.52 .  Do you think -apart from preparing the volume >2Gb  that I'll try to do-  Lars'driver installation could be useful in this situation ?

Apparently, Warp 4.52 doesn't have LVM (I thought it did, but your description indicates that it doesn't - there should be no drive letter, until the device is mounted -, or you found a way to install without it), but LVM can probably be installed, if you can find a source for it. I don't remember how to get USB to mount without LVM.

Preparing the device is probably the single most important thing, that must be done. You probably need DFSEE to do it. I think you may be able to do it under windows, or Linux, as long as the device is less than 500 GB, but I never tried that, and I don't know if that would actually help, in this case.

Lars' driver is not likely to help.

In fact, this is all guess work. Perhaps if you posted the CONFIG.SYS, we may be able to spot something. It would confirm whether LVM is, or is not, installed (look for BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD), and whether you have the correct statements, in the correct order.

One thing, that might work, would be to mount the USB device (after preparation), in the virtual machine, and then boot. I never tried that either, and I am not sure if it can be done. Another thing to try, is to find a USB stick that is less than 2 GB, format it as FAT16, and see what happens. A 2 GB device, in those days was larger than anything that you could get, without spending a fortune.

The easy answer, is to forget about making USB work, and connect by network, or Shared folders (if that will work). You can also create an ISO file, and attach it as a CD drive, but that is a one way path. USB support is actually a recent addition to VBox, and it seems to need guest OS support to automatically mount the devices.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2018, 07:49:45 pm »
Sorry Doug but Warp 4.52 does come with LVM, I just looked it up on my CP2 CD.  The fact that it doesn't appear to be operational tends to point to more fundamental problems with the install in VBox.

It might be easier for mauro to create a new VBox OS/2 instance rather than trying to patch up the one he has.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2018, 08:19:40 pm »
Lars, Doug, Ivan, Dave: my Warp 4.52 runs lvm and lvmgui and has a DFsee installation as well.
as lvm starts it displays devices 2 to 9 by 96 Mb each, while device 1  is the 2047 Mb system disk,  warning time by time incorrect partitioning informations and failed last IO informations for those devices 2 to 9
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:24:16 pm by mauro »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2018, 10:15:31 pm »
my Warp 4.52 runs lvm and lvmgui and has a DFsee installation as well.

Please post your CONFIG.SYS, and STARTUP.CMD (if it exists). There is way too much guessing going on here.

From your picture, what is the D: drive? I assume that E: is the CD drive, and you probably should eliminate the shared folder thing, while trying to get this working. It may cause problems. I also wonder how you got the CD drive to show up as E:. CONFIG.SYS should show that.

as lvm starts it displays devices 2 to 9 by 96 Mb each, while device 1  is the 2047 Mb system disk,

This is normal, and correct.  LVM recognizes that you have defined slots for 8 USB devices (the "BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0" line, in CONFIG.SYS), and lists them. Since they are empty, they give the information shown, along with error messages. LVMGUI simply displays what LVM tells it. Neither program is user friendly, which is the main reason why miniLVM was developed. I don't know if you can get that for OS/2 4.52. It comes with eCS (at least later versions), and ArcaOS. ArcaOS calls it "Logical Volume Management (simple)". 

You probably need to use the command "LVM.EXE /RediscoverPRM", from a command line, to get it to even look for a mounted USB stick.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2018, 01:11:48 am »
Hi Doug, no startup.cmd acting, the autostart of vboxservice.exe in Startup folder gives same effect after having checked as told in a previous answer, but if you feel that might be the problem, will revert again in a startup.cmd script.
D drive in my system is what Vbox is setted for CD/DVD/ISO drive as IDE secondary master. E is a new removable drive/volume appeared after the config.sys editing following your suggestion, F is the Vbox shared folder as per Guest Additions functionality, and it works, should be referred to this line in config.sys:  IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\VBoxSF.ifs  .
The command LVM.EXE /RediscoverPRM in the OS2 command window gives no answer, prompt goes again blinking on [C:\] one line below.
Here's my config,sys:

IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:C
IFS=C:\OS2\FAT32.IFS /cache:2048 /h /q /ac:* /largefiles
CALL=C:\OS2\CACHEF32.EXE /f /p:2 /m:50000 /b:250 /d:5000
PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
SET USER_INI=C:\OS2\OS2.INI
SET SYSTEM_INI=C:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
SET OS2_SHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,CONNECTIONS,WARPCENTER
SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
LIBPATH=.;C:\usr\local\lib;C:\usr\lib;C:\OS2WEB;C:\NETSCAPE\PROGRAM;C:\IBMLAN\NETLIB;C:\MUGLIB\DLL;C:\OS2\DLL;C:\IBMGSK50\LIB;C:\IBMGSK40\LIB;C:\IBMGSK\LIB;C:\MPTN\DLL;C:\TCPIP\DLL;C:\IBMCOM\DLL;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\;C:\OS2\APPS\DLL;C:\JAVA13\JRE\DLL;C:\JAVA11\DLL;C:\vlc2\usr\local\lib;C:\MMOS2\DLL;C:\IBMINST;
SET PATH=C:\usr\local\bin;C:\usr\sbin;C:\usr\bin;C:\OS2WEB;C:\NETSCAPE\PROGRAM;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\MUGLIB;C:\IBMGSK50\BIN;C:\IBMGSK40\BIN;C:\IBMGSK\BIN;C:\MPTN\BIN;C:\TCPIP\BIN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\JAVA13\BIN;C:\JAVA11\BIN;C:\MMOS2;C:\USR\BIN;
SET DPATH=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\IBMLAN;C:\MUGLIB;C:\MPTN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\BITMAP;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\MMOS2;C:\MMOS2\INSTALL;C:\IBMINST;C:\usr\lang;
SET PROMPT=$i[$p]
SET HELP=C:\MPTN;C:\MPTN\HELP;C:\OS2\HELP;C:\MMOS2\HELP;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\TCPIP\HELP;C:\usr\help;C:\OS2\APPS\Lucide;
SET GLOSSARY=C:\OS2\HELP\GLOSS;
SET IPF_KEYS=SBCS
PRIORITY_DISK_IO=YES
FILES=40
BASEDEV=IBMKBD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\LANPDD.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\LANVDD.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\LANMSGDD.OS2 /I:C:\IBMCOM /S
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTMAN.OS2 /I:C:\IBMCOM
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\TESTCFG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\DOS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PMDD.SYS
COUNTRY=039,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
CODEPAGE=850,437
DEVINFO=KBD,IT142,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP
SET LANG=it_IT
SET TZ=cet-1
SET ULSPATH=C:\LANGUAGE
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\UNICODE.SYS
BUFFERS=90
IOPL=YES
DISKCACHE=D,LW
MAXWAIT=3
MEMMAN=SWAP,PROTECT
SWAPPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 2048
BREAK=OFF
THREADS=1024
PRINTMONBUFSIZE=134,134,134
SET KEYS=ON
SET BOOKSHELF=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\OS2\BOOK;C:\MMOS2;C:\BOOKS;C:\TCPIP\HELP;C:\OS2\APPS\Lucide;
SET SOMIR=C:\OS2\ETC\SOM.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\WPSH.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\WPDSERV.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\REXX.IR
SET SOMDDIR=C:\OS2\ETC\DSOM
BASEDEV=TIMER0.SYS
RUN=C:\OS2\EPW.EXE
RUN=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\LVMALERT.EXE
RUN=C:\OS2\EXTENDFS.EXE *
REM SET DELDIR=C:\DELETE,512;
BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS
BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM2FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD
BASEDEV=XDFLOPPY.FLT
BASEDEV=I2OXPORT.SYS
BASEDEV=I2OSOSM.ADD
BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD
BASEDEV=CHKDSK.SYS
SET EPMPATH=C:\OS2\APPS;
PROTECTONLY=NO
SHELL=C:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\OS2\MDOS
FCBS=16,8
RMSIZE=640
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VEMM.SYS
DOS=LOW,NOUMB
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VXMS.SYS /UMB
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VDPMI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VDPX.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VWIN.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VW32S.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\APM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VAPM.SYS
RUN=C:\OS2\APMDAEMN.EXE
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\OS2CDROM.DMD /Q
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /Q /W
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VCDROM.SYS
BASEDEV=IBMIDECD.FLT
BASEDEV=IBMATAPI.FLT
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VCOM.SYS
SET DEVICEFONTDISABLED=NO
REM BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\apps\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS
SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
SET DMIPATH=C:\DMISL\BIN
RUN=C:\OS2\SMSTART.EXE
SET CLASSPATH=C:\IBMGSK\CLASSES\SRIP.JAR;C:\IBMGSK\CLASSES\SGUIDE.ZIP;C:\IBMGSK\CLASSES\CSSGKEY.JAR;C:\JAVA11\LIB\SecMa.jar;C:\java11\Swing\swingall.jar;C:\java11\lib\classes.zip;.\.;C:\OS2\JAVAAPPS\LVMGUI.ZIP;C:\TCPIP\java;
SET SWING_HOME=C:\java11\Swing
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\SB16D2.SYS /C:1 /D:1 /H:5 /I:5 /A:220 /M:330 /N:SBAUD1$ /Q /P
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\AUDIOVDD.SYS SBAUD1$
SET MMBASE=C:\MMOS2;
SET DSPPATH=C:\MMOS2\DSP;
SET NCDEBUG=4000
RUN=C:\MMOS2\MIDIDMON.EXE
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\SSMDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\R0STUB.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\MIDI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\VCSHDD.SYS
RUN=C:\MMOS2\QRYMMCD.EXE