Author Topic: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest  (Read 61261 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2018, 04:45:24 am »
Hi Doug, no startup.cmd acting, the autostart of vboxservice.exe in Startup folder gives same effect after having checked as told in a previous answer, but if you feel that might be the problem, will revert again in a startup.cmd script.

I would put it back into STARTUP.CMD, since that is where it was designed to go. I don't know what might happen if you start it in the startup folder. It may depend on the startup order, and that may not be what you think it is.

Okay, let's start with the USB lines, in CONFIG.SYS. After properly sorting what you posted, I see this:
Code: [Select]
REM [USB section
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
rem DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
rem DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\APPS\tame\usbresmg.sys
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0 /CDS:1
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS

The most obvious problem, is that you have "BASEDEV=USBD.SYS" twice. I am not sure what that might do.

You also have: "BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0 /CDS:1", which is where the second CD comes from. I suggest changing that to: "BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0" (remove "/CDS:1") . If you do need a USB CD/DVD drive, there is another device line that does it, but leave that until you get it working. No point in complicating things.

The line: "DEVICE=C:\OS2\APPS\tame\usbresmg.sys" is probably not needed, and a version that is in the tame directory may be old, and not compatible with later versions of the USB driver. REM it, for now, and try it later, if you really need it.

There are other things that probably need to be tweaked, but I don't see anything else that might affect mounting a USB stick.

Sort done by Logical Config.Sys Sort: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/config/lcss-0-6-5.wpi. Be sure to READ the instructions, if you decide to use it. It sorts Config.Sys so that humans, as well as machines, can read it. It makes sure that the lines are in the correct order, and does some commenting, but does no validation, or parameter checking.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2018, 08:32:12 pm »
Ok, I applied all suggestions, I still cannot get the usb pendrive appearing/recognized/managed as a new volume, neither in WPS nor in FC/2.
The only evidence that OS2 detects this USB device is the Resources Manager in OS2 System calling it, among the other USB resource list, "USB device 1.1.2" (this icon disappear if the USB stick is unplugged). Not even DFsee detects it.
I've also bought a new 4 Gb USB pendrive and reduced its volume size to 1.86 Gb Fat32 to see if it was a matter of >2Gb size.

But I've widely appreciated that all of you have tried to help me for this in anyway, providing friendly and competent indications, and even though I could not complete this task, at least I've learned other things good to know and have introduced some utility software good to have in any case.
USB hardware connection was wished but not so strictly fundamental in my OS2 Warp 4.52 VBox guest system, I can manage files exchange through the shared folder or ISO burned volume, and print works whith my network printer driver successfully configured.
Then I take the chance to thank you and wish a Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:39:47 pm by mauro »

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2018, 02:22:01 am »
Ok, I applied all suggestions, I still cannot get the usb pendrive appearing/recognized/managed as a new volume, neither in WPS nor in FC/2.
The only evidence that OS2 detects this USB device is the Resources Manager in OS2 System calling it, among the other USB resource list, "USB device 1.1.2" (this icon disappear if the USB stick is unplugged). Not even DFsee detects it.
I've also bought a new 4 Gb USB pendrive and reduced its volume size to 1.86 Gb Fat32 to see if it was a matter of >2Gb size.

But I've widely appreciated that all of you have tried to help me for this in anyway, providing friendly and competent indications, and even though I could not complete this task, at least I've learned other things good to know and have introduced some utility software good to have in any case.
USB hardware connection was wished but not so strictly fundamental in my OS2 Warp 4.52 VBox guest system, I can manage files exchange through the shared folder or ISO burned volume, and print works whith my network printer driver successfully configured.
Then I take the chance to thank you and wish a Merry Christmas.

VirtualBox 6 just came out, it has support for shared folders for a OS/2 Guest, so you might not need the USB pass-through anymore depending your intended use.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »

VirtualBox 6 just came out, it has support for shared folders for a OS/2 Guest, so you might not need the USB pass-through anymore depending your intended use.

Also this attempt did not take any luck. In VBox 6 I tried the G.A. installation on an OS2 W4.52 machine cloned for test purposes, it went bad, the machine did not restart with those G.A. drivers. It should not depend by me, as I could successfully install and use Valery's version of G.A.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:28:01 pm by mauro »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »
Whatsthedot works better than PMDLL.
(That's an older posting in this thread.)

Just ensure that the program object for PMDLL has an empty 'Working directory'. Then any DLL can be dropped on it and the current directory for PMDLL is changed to the directory of that DLL. It finds then other DLLs in that directory.

(This method can also be used to enable pack and unpack program objects for drag and drop, when the output should be created in the directory of the source file.)

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2019, 08:45:15 pm »
Meantime I haven't give up and am also trying something else.  I've though that a brand new machine for a clean restart was needed to make new attempts, and have found this vdi file for an OS2 Warp 4.52 ready to use Virtualbox machine:

https://archive.org/details/VMOS2Warp4.52

it has promptly started and the situation found was equal to what previous described in this thread with my other machine: usb stick recognized in hardware manager but no usb volume detected in LVMGUI and DFsee.  Then I went back in ANPM (yum-rpm) seeking which other item could seemed useful to install, and seen one called libusbcalls 11.17-1   (however already been installed in the other currently used OS2 machine).  After installed that, a G not-accessible volume appeared in WPS, and it was detected both in LVMGUI and DFsee.
At that point I have prepared it as described here

https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Prepare_the_FAT32_USB_Flash_Drive

then I have tried to format it as described here

http://www.myrkraverk.com/blog/2018/11/formatting-usb-drive-for-os-2/

but as formatting starts, the virtual machine traps and must be shot down

However, opening LVMGUI I now have a G disk detected of 3728 Mb but still not accessible in WPS (see pictures).
Furthemore, selecting this disk in LVMGUI the option to create a new volume which I though was the next step, is greyed out .

Do you have other suggestions for this new situation?
Thank you

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:57 pm »
Hi mauro

libusbcalls is not needed for usb disk access.

As the usb volume is not detected by lvmgui of dfsee I have to ask: Does the usb drive appear in the Desktop -> Drives folder?

If "No" do you have \os2\boot\usbmon.exe started?

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 09:20:25 am »
Hi mauro

libusbcalls is not needed for usb disk access.

As the usb volume is not detected by lvmgui of dfsee I have to ask: Does the usb drive appear in the Desktop -> Drives folder?

If "No" do you have \os2\boot\usbmon.exe started?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, maybe you missed some descriptions and pictures of my post, I'll try to resume, the answers are there except for usbmon.exe not mentioned before :

-The usb stick volume now appears (G) as a drive in the desktop drives folder, however it remains not accessible (see picture on my post). This has happened only after having installed libusbcalls 11.17-1. Before that, no USB volume appeared in the desktop drives.
-Also, after this installation, this USB 4Gb stick volume is detected by LVMGUI (picture in my post) and DFsee.
-I have prepared the USB volume with DFsee as described here : https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Prepare_the_FAT32_USB_Flash_Drive and I could not format it as described here http://www.myrkraverk.com/blog/2018/11/formatting-usb-drive-for-os-2/ because system traps as the operation starts.
-usbmon.exe is in my C:\OS2\BOOT folder.
NOTE: all this has been performed on a new vdi machine (with its own ready configuration) downloaded here:
https://archive.org/details/VMOS2Warp4.52

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:38:11 am by mauro »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2019, 12:59:23 pm »
As Peter said, USBCALLS has nothing to do with your problem even though you think it does.
It is not needed at all to have USB MSD support in OS/2.

Something else is wrong. Most likely it is USBMSD.ADD or OS2DASD.DMD / OS2LVM.DMD are out of date.
Recheck the version of all your USB drivers (USBD.SYS, USBEHCD.SYS, USBOHCD.SYS, USBUHCD.SYS,USBMSD.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD,OS2LVM.DMD). You can use the "bldlevel" command to get info for these drivers.

Finally, you can use my updated USBMSD.ADD:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbdrv225.zip

Just pull USBMSD.ADD / USBMSD.SYM from the ZIP file (back up your existing USBMSD.ADD first).

Lars

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2019, 02:16:25 pm »
Hi Mauro,

What you are doing seems rather complicated, you could try this.

I don't know if this will work for you using OS/2 in a VM but this is what I do on a real OS/2 install (I am using DFSee downloaded from hobbes in expert mode)

1) Find the usb stick with DFSee.  In my case it is a 64 GB stick that I used to install an updated win7 to a friends Ryzen computer.

2) Open the object to work with, in this case a disk and select the correct disk, number 4 for me.

3) Experience has shown that it is a very good idea to start with a clean slate, or I should say disk so I wipe the start of the disk to ZERO, again select the correct disk or you could end up in big trouble.  Disk 4 again.
3a) It is possible that you will be advised to eject the usb stick and reinsert it after this stage, in which case do so and then continue to the next stage.

4) With the wipe concluded it is create a new partition time. again select the correct disk.

5) Now select the type of partition and size.   In my case since I need the stick to transfer between Android tablets and my computer I need it to be fat32 and max size, I also select a primary partition.

6) Next step, volume name, partition name (either select those offered or give your own) and you MUST give a drive letter including the colon.

7) Confirm LVM disk name.

8) Now comes the format, since I want fat32 I select to format with FAT file system a partition to be selected.

9) in my case it is again disk 4.

10) Accept the defaults given. and the formatting takes place.

11) With formatting completed exit DFSee and eject the USB stick.

12) Reinsert the stick and confirm it is seen by OS/2 and is the size expected.  You can also write to it as a confirmation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:20:03 pm by ivan »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2019, 02:18:36 pm »
Last pics from previous post

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2019, 07:04:30 pm »
As Peter said, USBCALLS has nothing to do with your problem even though you think it does.
It is not needed at all to have USB MSD support in OS/2.

Something else is wrong. Most likely it is USBMSD.ADD or OS2DASD.DMD / OS2LVM.DMD are out of date.
Recheck the version of all your USB drivers (USBD.SYS, USBEHCD.SYS, USBOHCD.SYS, USBUHCD.SYS,USBMSD.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD,OS2LVM.DMD). You can use the "bldlevel" command to get info for these drivers.

Finally, you can use my updated USBMSD.ADD:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbdrv225.zip

Just pull USBMSD.ADD / USBMSD.SYM from the ZIP file (back up your existing USBMSD.ADD first).

Lars

Hi Lars, before replacing those two drivers with your version, I checked those files version as you suggest:

files USBD.SYS, USBEHCD.SYS, USBOHCD.SYS, USBMSD.ADD, they have
 ver. 6.12.675 - sep 25 2001 -  file rev. 10.162

file USBOHCD.SYS has ver. 6.12.675 - sep 25 2001 -  file rev. 10.70

files OS2DASD.DMD, OS2LVM.DMD, have ver. 6.12.675 - sep 25 2001 -  file rev. 14.106

So, confirm they're out of date?
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:08:31 pm by mauro »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2019, 08:44:48 pm »
All of your USB drivers are out of date (in fact you are using the latest IBM drivers which are buggy as hell).
Either update to the AN drivers or use mine (they are contained in usbdrv225.zip).

OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD are also much out of date (judging from the file dates). Even though, strange enough, the build levels for the drivers I am using (the most recent) are 14.105.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2019, 08:59:14 pm »
All of your USB drivers are out of date (in fact you are using the latest IBM drivers which are buggy as hell).
Either update to the AN drivers or use mine (they are contained in usbdrv225.zip).

OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD are also much out of date (judging from the file dates). Even though, strange enough, the build levels for the drivers I am using (the most recent) are 14.105.

ok tks, i'd prefer using yours.  Do you also mean better using all the OS2 dir content for totally replace them, not only  USBMSD.ADD / USBMSD.SYM ?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 06:28:55 pm »
Hi Mauro,

What you are doing seems rather complicated, you could try this.
……………...cut………………..

Ivan, it took just a little bit longer than only 5 minutes, but your tutorial is extremely clear and foolproof (exactly what I needed).
So finally I HAVE A WORKING USB STICK VOLUME ! To make it appear in the drives list after the system has booted, I just need to select the "refresh removable media" item
I thank you a lot, together with all the others (Lars, Pete, Martin, Andreas, Olafur, Doug, Joob, Dave, Roberto, Andrè, David) who wanted to help me here.