Author Topic: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest  (Read 61256 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: USB pendrive on OS2 4.52 VBox guest
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:06 pm »
Hi mauro

To make a usb drive appear automatically in the Drives folder- no need to do the "Refresh" bit -  you need to install usbwarn from http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbstick/index.html

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2019, 08:02:51 pm »
Hi mauro

To make a usb drive appear automatically in the Drives folder- no need to do the "Refresh" bit -  you need to install usbwarn from http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbstick/index.html

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, it seems not doing what expected:  USB stick is already connected when my system boots, yet I do not see it until click "refresh removable drives". I copied both files in the OS2 directory (intended to be the working directory), nothing else to do, right? No problem anyway, thanks for suggesting.
That is a cool OS2 software site, is it yours ?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:37:37 am by mauro »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2019, 09:07:10 pm »
Hi mauro

"USB stick is already connected when my system boots" - there is the problem. OS/2 systems do not expect usb drives to be attached at boot.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:44 am »
Hi mauro

"USB stick is already connected when my system boots" - there is the problem. OS/2 systems do not expect usb drives to be attached at boot.

OTOH, I've had broken sticks that were only seen if attached at boot, at least until I did the LVM+formatting.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2019, 02:20:05 pm »
Hi mauro

Regards

Pete

ok, understood.  Thanks

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2019, 06:18:50 pm »

That may depend on which USB drivers you use. ArcaOS has no problem with USB sticks that are attached at boot time (USB stack 11.17, or later, and I think that Lars' drivers do the same). They are simply not enabled until the system finishes booting. Then the built in AN Removable Media Monitor (REMM) widget mounts them. REMM has actually replaced the older USBMON program (that needs to be started at boot time to auto mount USB sticks). There is a duplicate file name, in a different directory, that is used for printers. (sorry, I don't remember all of the details from the ancient past). I think that USBMON also had a different (but similar) name in earlier versions of OS/2 (duplicated for printers). The really old way, was to use the LVM command, discussed earlier, but that still works. Pre-LVM did all of that in a different way.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2019, 02:10:14 am »
Hi Doug

Presumably "the built in AN Removable Media Monitor (REMM) widget" is something exclusive to ArcaOS?
Is this a widget for the xcenter?

There are 2 versions of usbmon.exe in the IBM USB setup:

[BootDrive]:\OS2\usbmon.exe - usb printer monitor

[BootDrive]:\OS2\BOOT\USBMON.EXE - usb drives monitor

ArcaOS5.0.0/1 supplies [BootDrive]:\OS2\BOOT\USBMMON.EXE as a replacement for the IBM usb drives monitor [BootDrive]:\OS2\BOOT\USBMON.EXE

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2019, 02:34:44 am »
Hi Doug

Presumably "the built in AN Removable Media Monitor (REMM) widget" is something exclusive to ArcaOS?
Is this a widget for the xcenter?

Hi Pete,
It is exclusive to ArcaOS and is an xcenter widget that Rich wrote. Very nice. Handles ISO's too with the ISO mounter that Rich also wrote/fixed and I believe is only available with ArcaOS.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2019, 06:03:50 am »
Hi Dave

Not being an xcenter user I guess I'll just have to carry on manually Refreshing the Drives when I accidentally leave a usb drive attached at boot.

Regards

Pete

xynixme

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2019, 12:19:05 am »
Sort done by Logical Config.Sys Sort: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/config/lcss-0-6-5.wpi. Be sure to READ the instructions, if you decide to use it. It sorts Config.Sys so that humans, as well as machines, can read it. It makes sure that the lines are in the correct order, and does some commenting, but does no validation, or parameter checking.

After just viewing its output, to verify a CONFIG.SYS order, it didn't clean up a few files. CONFIG.SYS.1, and 2 TEMP.* files in the LCSS directory. FWIW. If that's not reproducable (execute, view results, stop), then I may have somehow executed and aborted LCSS twice.