Author Topic: mozturbo  (Read 35325 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: mozturbo
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 09:37:08 pm »
As for the sys2070's, I think this may just be an artifact of the way things work.
Smturbo preloads the DLLs in the applications directory and subdirectory, which then load their dependencies, one of which is NSPR's PLDS4, finds the mozilla.exe PLDS4.DLL in memory and uses that, possibly along with NSPR4.DLL and PLC4.DLL and loads them. These seem to be the only DLLs that have names in common between SM 1.19 (and presumably whatever version of Mozilla you're using) and SM2.49. Generally the NSPR4 stuff is very stable but obviously an extra export was added at some point and is missing from the older version. Bitwise also may have made changes that made the libs incompatible in subtle ways.
Ordering the loading so smturbo runs first and finds its proper version of NSPR etc first in LIBPATH is probably needed. Possibly it just won't work the way you're trying to use it as mozilla.exe may then try to use the newer NSPR with its modifications.
While it is possible to expand the turbo programs to take this in account, I really don't have the interest in supporting such setups.

xynixme

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 02:49:17 am »
Ordering the loading so smturbo runs first and finds its proper version of NSPR etc first in LIBPATH is probably needed.
LIBPATHSTRICT=T and BEGINLIBPATH=B:\Rowser's\EXE\dir were always in use with the <WP_START> turbo objects too, FWIW. I'll check the PATHs and order in use w.r.t. those shared DLL file names. If it could be a possible cause, then I'll insert such a test because even better PATHs will be a theoretical improvement anyway.

So far no rare SYS2070s with the new "seamonkey.exe"-MOZTURBO.EXE, without any SLEEP or unreported changes.  I'm waiting for the first unforced SYS2070, with this MOZTURBO.EXE

Please note I'm just reporting what's happening, without expecting support for Mensys' SM 1.19. ;)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:02 am »
I guess strictly speaking, I can offer what limited support my skills enable for SM 1.19 as I built it I believe. Didn't even realize that Memsys was distributing it :)
Whether my environment could rebuild it, I'm not sure.

xynixme

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 03:30:31 am »
Didn't even realize that Memsys was distributing it :)
Sorry, I was probably mixing up versions & products... Too la^b^early...

Regarding the (three) *4.DLLs there shouldn't be a problem? MOZTURBO should use its own, which are located in its BEGINLIBPATH boot drive subdirectory, which isn't a LIBPATH directory (well, "." is).

With a clean boot drive policy FFTURBO xor SMTURBO should use a different copy of those *4.DLLs, which are located in a LIBPATH subdirectory.

Nevertheless I'll append that LIBPATH subdirectory to the BEGINLIBPATH too, just to make sure that it's there. Twice, and once in front.

Current <WP_START>-folder WPProgram settings (typed, errors possible), D:\INTERNET\BIN is the LIBPATH subdirectory where the modern *4.DLLs are saved:

MOZTURBO:
EXENAME=CMD.EXE
PARAMETERS=/c detach C:\PROGRAMS\MOZILLA\MOZTURBO.EXE -l
STARTUPDIR=C:\PROGRAMS\MOZILLA
SET LIBPATHSTRICT=T
SET BEGINLIBPATH=C:\PROGRAMS\MOZILLA

SMTURBO:
EXENAME=CMD.EXE
PARAMATERS=/c detach D:\SEAMONKEY\SMTURBO.EXE -t
STARTUPDIR=D:\SEAMONKEY
SET LIBPATHSTRICT=T
SET BEGINLIBPATH=D:\SEAMONKEY;D:\INTERNET\BIN

So far still no unforced SYS2070s with the "seamonkey.exe" MOZTURBO.EXE (which can be compiled with "ICC MOZTURBO.EXE" too, if I ignore the MAKE.CMD options of GGC; I may insert DosSleep() and DosSetPriority later).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2019, 04:56:54 am »
Not surprised that icc can also compile it as it is simple. Probably would have been happy without the casts I added. Seems GCC defaults to having a bunch of warnings.
You could easily recompile the seamonkey mozturbo for mozilla.exe by changing MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME and the other mozturbo programs should be as easy to recompile. Note I passed MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME on the command line. Source is at Bitbucket.
About the GCC options. -Zomf runs emxomf to convert the object file into native OS/2 obj format and uses ilink (default, wlink here) to link, also with the -g parameter, can use OS/2 debugger mostly. -Zhigh-mem causes the program to attempt to allocate memory in the high memory arena first, I had weird behaviour loading the DLLs that were marked to load high without that option, forget the specifics and it may have had a different cause.

xynixme

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2019, 05:15:05 pm »
-Zhigh-mem causes the program to attempt to allocate memory in the high memory arena first, I had weird behaviour loading the DLLs that were marked to load high without that option, forget the specifics and it may have had a different cause.
1. I've seen a SYS2070 with another machine, so faulty hardware isn't a likely cause. Not that someone suggested that, but it could have been possible.

2. When I kill (C-A-D) a SM session due to a 100% CPU load (but not to PLUGIN-CONTAINER.EXE being started), then it seems like a shutdown doesn't complete anymore. CAD has to pressed to complete a regular shutdown.

3. I'm still waiting for at least one new SYS2070 to complete the current test. If a possible later code change really works for me, then I'll consider sharing the change before introducing 2 versions of a same package. I'm at least thinking about DosSetPriority tests for XWLAN (or DosSleep), assuming that such a process is slightly more time-critical than loading the DLLs. Hopefully the user won't notice a speed difference. Nothing fancy, I'm not a programmer and even a PM test version would be mainly copy & paste "programming".

No warnings with "ICC mozturbo.exe", but I didn't use that EXE. I cannot recall any IBM option related to high-memory, so hence just ICC without compiler or linker options.

I've changed the case of the paths earlier, but then a SYS2070 still occured. So it wasn't an exclusive solution. I'll lower-case it again after a new SYS2070, to avoid mixing tests now (your new NEWTURBO.EXE and longer BEGINLIBPATH for FF/SM).

0. Needless to say that the gains are outnumbering the e.g. rare SYS2070 by far. (Re-)starting the browser no longer has a project-status, for one.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:17:32 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2019, 03:06:41 am »
So far no SYS2070, since Dave's new MOZTURBO.EXE... I'll continue to wait for a while, but it looks very good...

xynixme

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 10:00:32 pm »
Still no SYS2070s, so I'm willing to rate that as being solved by Dave's new MOZTURBO.EXE. Soon I'll try a few modifications, like DosSetPriority or DosSleep to try to avoid the issue of significantly less initial Wi-Fi connections by XWLAN, and perhaps an unwanted test move to PM to make regular shutdowns work more often.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:12 am »
I put both ffturbo and tbturbo in my startup folder. Usually no problem. Just now, I saw this happen at startup.

Code: [Select]
03-23-2019  17:42:47  SYS3175  PID 004a  TID 0001  Slot 008a
K:\PROGRAMS\THUNDERBIRD\TBTURBO.EXE
c0000005
1fb7ec7a
P1=00000001  P2=1df90096  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX 
EAX=00000000  EBX=0000c000  ECX=1df90014  EDX=00000000
ESI=1a2f5e60  EDI=18f7072a 
DS=0053  DSACC=d0f3  DSLIM=5fffffff 
ES=0053  ESACC=d0f3  ESLIM=5fffffff 
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=dddf  GSACC=00f3  GSLIM=000005cf
CS:EIP=005b:1fb7ec7a  CSACC=d0df  CSLIM=5fffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0015e6d0  SSACC=d0f3  SSLIM=5fffffff
EBP=0015ec68  FLG=00010246

PMMERGE.DLL 0004:000aec7a

Code: [Select]
{0}[k:\programs\thunderbird] dir tbturbo.exe

Volume in drive K is ArcaOS-K       Serial number is 0712:95BD
 Directory of  K:\programs\Thunderbird\tbturbo.exe

12-24-18  19:58           8,304    124  tbturbo.exe
           8,304 bytes in 1 file and 0 dirs
          12,288 bytes allocated
   1,369,518,080 bytes (1,306MB) free
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 07:10:58 pm »
I looked at the tbturbo/ffturbo code: it lists "mozalloc.dll" as a file to preload. But I cannot find that file, neither in my firefox nor in my Thunderbird directory.
I remember that it showed up there in the past but no longer (maybe I deleted it as I identified it as superfluous).
Maybe that file should be removed from the list of files to load.
Neil, if you still find this file in your FF or TB directories, try to remove it or rename it and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:12:58 pm by Lars »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 08:05:24 pm »
The mozalloc.dll is in there for 38ESR and as far as I understand the code, DosLoadModule() will just fail when trying to load it and move on to the next DLL in the list.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 02:53:06 am »
I only see mozalloc.dll in the Firefox 38 directory. It shouldn't have loaded. And normally there is no error. There was just the one time, I noticed the tbturbo had not started and a looked in POPUPLOG.OS2 and saw an error at the same time.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2019, 04:48:46 am »
Yours is the only report (besides the sys2070's up the page) of a sys3175 or other crash. I'm not good at reading the popup but at a guess a rare race condition with both starting. Personally I have all 3 in startup folder and haven't had any problems.