Author Topic: Webcam Support for OS/2 and eCS!!  (Read 145145 times)

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
Re: Webcam Support for OS/2 and eCS!!
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2014, 06:19:20 pm »
I will send the output from the other usb tool, maybe it will tell what is required.

Unfortunately USB Device Monitor Version 0.9.7 cannot be used because it provides incorrect and incomplete data. So I wrote my own :) uvc webcam compound descriptor retrieval utility in rexx. Download http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/uvcvideo/uvcprobe.zip and run uvcprobe.cmd and it will create uvcprobe.bin containing the descriptors.

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2014, 10:39:25 pm »

Unfortunately USB Device Monitor Version 0.9.7 cannot be used because it provides incorrect and incomplete data. So I wrote my own :) uvc webcam compound descriptor retrieval utility in rexx. Download http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/uvcvideo/uvcprobe.zip and run uvcprobe.cmd and it will create uvcprobe.bin containing the descriptors.

It would be nice when this or any other tool could be fixed to make it usable again. Now it gets interesting, because its nice that REXX is in place now :) Getting the data however seems to be a hard task.. I get the following output when running the tool:

C:\TOOLS\USBCAM\RXUSB.DLL
Found 3 usb devices.
FFEA UsbGetDeviceReport failure!

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:57 am »

It would be nice when this or any other tool could be fixed to make it usable again. Now it gets interesting, because its nice that REXX is in place now :) Getting the data however seems to be a hard task.. I get the following output when running the tool:

C:\TOOLS\USBCAM\RXUSB.DLL
Found 3 usb devices.
FFEA UsbGetDeviceReport failure!

I created rxusb.dll in order to be able test my usbcalls.dll and usbresmg.sys device driver.

It appears that your installation does not use my usbresmg.sys driver. You have to recheck your config.sys file again to see what file the device driver statement points to and to verify that it is my usbresmg.sys driver.

Once your installation is correct, I expect both lsusb and uvcprobe to be working. May be ;) your webcam too.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »
Hi Wim

after ~ half an hour of running UvcView   I have got     [00000280] Obtain Thread error!

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2014, 11:55:23 am »
I have again updated WebSeeBeta1.zip on my Webcam Support web page.

http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/uvcvideo/index.html

Provides now 2 sets of test programs for UVC compliant webcams.

Use either the 640x480 set or the 320x240 set.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »
Hi Wim

after ~ half an hour of running UvcView   I have got     [00000280] Obtain Thread error!

Hi OS4User,

I just updated WebSeeBeta1.zip on my Webcam Support web page. But alas I did not do anything yet to tackle this timeout problem. From now on I will try to refrain from updating WebSeeBeta1.zip to support more webcams and to focus on solving this timeout problem. Right now I have no idea why these timeouts occur nor where I should start looking. Perhaps I should start tracing the usbehcd.sys host controller driver. Will take some time to set my mind to it.

Regards, Wim.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »
Hi Wim

Hi OS4User,

I just updated WebSeeBeta1.zip on my Webcam Support web page. But alas I did not do anything yet to tackle this timeout problem. From now on I will try to refrain from updating WebSeeBeta1.zip to support more webcams and to focus on solving this timeout problem. Right now I have no idea why these timeouts occur nor where I should start looking. Perhaps I should start tracing the usbehcd.sys host controller driver. Will take some time to set my mind to it.

Regards, Wim.

Hi Wim

I have just tested them, working OK.
But the previous error message still appeared. According to my observations, it happens when a window with a picture is in the background.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2014, 06:01:25 am »
I have again updated WebSeeBeta1.zip on my Webcam Support web page.

http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/uvcvideo/index.html

Provides now 2 sets of test programs for UVC compliant webcams.

Use either the 640x480 set or the 320x240 set.

Thanks Wim !

Logitech C270 works great (MPEG)! I'll leave it on over night on each switch. What the. New RBG one.

And anything specific that you would like tested ?

So, in the future is it possible for PSI/2 or others to add video conference or recording ?

Thank you,

Greggory

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:27:29 am by Greggory Shaw »

dbanet

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2014, 06:29:59 am »
So, in the future is it possible for PSI/2 or others to add video conference or recording ?

Yes, and that is not very hard. Psi is written so that the platform-dependent code is separated from the platform-independent one.

There is a library called psimedia, which is platform-independent, and it can use several other platform-dependent libraries, called providers, to communicate with video and audio I/O on target systems. They've also (the Psi team) written a provider library that utilizes gstreamer to communicate with the system's audio and video I/O, and it appeared that it was enough, because gstreamer is available on Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X. But because it hasn't been ported to OS/2, we've got no support for VoIP in Psi.

Therefore we've got two options:
  • port gstreamer. This is hard enough, but may have several good side-effects, as other software may need it;
  • write our own provider library, which will utilize DIVE, DART and the web cameras support solution by Wim. This is pretty straight-forward, and easier than porting gstreamer.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2014, 07:01:40 am »
Gstreamer would be handy for Mozilla as well.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:47 pm »
Hi Wim

Hi OS4User,

Regards, Wim.

Hi Wim

I have just tested them, working OK.
But the previous error message still appeared. According to my observations, it happens when a window with a picture is in the background.

Hi OS4User,

I did some tracing and I found a semaphore error in usbresmg.sys regarding the alloc/free of iorbs.
The fix is available for you as http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/uvcvideo/OS4User.zip

Wim.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:53 pm »

Hi OS4User,

I did some tracing and I found a semaphore error in usbresmg.sys regarding the alloc/free of iorbs.
The fix is available for you as http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/uvcvideo/OS4User.zip

Wim.

Hi Win

Have  just checked   -  new usbresmg.sys unfortunately does not help.

It looks like that error appeared when  priority of  uvcview.exe  is decreased  because  it is switched to background

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2014, 03:45:03 pm »
I have concluded :) the development and testing of my Webcam Support for OS/2 (and eComStation).  I have put it as WebSee10.zip and its source code as WebSee10s.zip both on my website and on hobbes. I have also put the latest version of my USB Resource Manager as usbres01.zip there.

I like to thank everyone involved.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »
I have concluded :) the development and testing of my Webcam Support for OS/2 (and eComStation).  I have put it as WebSee10.zip and its source code as WebSee10s.zip both on my website and on hobbes. I have also put the latest version of my USB Resource Manager as usbres01.zip there.

I like to thank everyone involved.

I think every OS/2 and eCS user owes you a big THANK YOU!

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »
I can only echo what Doug just posted Wim! It's people like you  (and Doug) that have proven to the rest of us that there will always be hope for the future of OS/2. A couple of years ago having a working Webcam connected to a system running OS/2 was nothing but a "Pipe Dream"!  Now thanks to you its a reality!

Thanks again,  klipp