Author Topic: Webcam Support for OS/2 and eCS!!  (Read 145086 times)

ydario

Re: Webcam Support for OS/2 and eCS!!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2013, 05:38:48 pm »
Hi Wim,

which kind of work is required to add new camera models?

Yuri

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »
Hi Wim,

which kind of work is required to add new camera models?

Yuri
Hi Yuri,

Work required to produce another set of test cases:

All those *tc.zip products are in fact test cases for the initial high speed and high bandwidth isochronous transfer support in the usbehcd.sys host controller driver. To produce one for yet another webcam requires the output from lsusb -v for that webcam to be analyzed by me first. Then I would compose a rexx procedure to try and test the uvc probe and commit phases that I want these new test cases to use. From that I would also know how to setup the required bandwidth and alternate interface settings. Finally I would change the compile time options in the turbo assembler source code plus possibly some other changes necessary to get this webcam working and build the new product. Since the initial high speed and high bandwidth isochronous transfer support in the usbehcd.sys host controller drivers works, I don't think I should spend any more time doing this.

Work required to produce generic webcam support:

Since usbecd.sys is intended for prototyping, it has some drawbacks. First of all it cannot provide enough buffering to sustain reliably a continuous video stream. Secondly each webcam would require its own unique config.sys statement. Therefore support for isochronous transfers need to be added to usbresmg.sys so it can be used instead. This is something I am considering to dive into when time permits. Both weblook and webview have been coded in turbo assembler. As a starter some other programmer could convert/rewrite these using C instead. This would make adding support for other uvc webcams easier. Then the inspection of the usb descriptors need to be added and the outcome of the probe and commit phase need to be acted upon to setup the required alternate interfaces and the isochronous buffering.

Regards, Wim.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »
Hi Wim!

Therefore support for isochronous transfers need to be added to usbresmg.sys so it can be used instead. This is something I am considering to dive into when time permits. Both weblook and webview have been coded in turbo assembler.

This would be awesome, as then support could also be added to libusb for isochronous transfers :)

ydario

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:20 am »
Hi Wim,

Therefore support for isochronous transfers need to be added to usbresmg.sys so it can be used instead. This is something I am considering to dive into when time permits. Both weblook and

I think this is a must for further work on webcam issue, so we can get libusb to work too and this will give us access to a lot of existing unix applications.

Yuri

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »
Hi Wim!

Therefore support for isochronous transfers need to be added to usbresmg.sys so it can be used instead. This is something I am considering to dive into when time permits. Both weblook and webview have been coded in turbo assembler.

This would be awesome, as then support could also be added to libusb for isochronous transfers :)
I think this is a must for further work on webcam issue, so we can get libusb to work too and this will give us access to a lot of existing unix applications.

Yuri

Hi Paul and Yuri,

O.K. I have made up my mind :) and I am going for it.

I have compiled both usbresmg.sys and usbcalls.dll and after some modifications I got a basic working set that is suitable for implementing support for isochronous transfers. The source code I use is the latest one available at Netlabs. Right now I am investigating which functions should be present. I will keep you informed.

Wim.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 11:04:14 am »
Wim,

that's great to hear. Thanks for the support.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »
O.K. I have made up my mind :) and I am going for it.

I have compiled both usbresmg.sys and usbcalls.dll and after some modifications I got a basic working set that is suitable for implementing support for isochronous transfers. The source code I use is the latest one available at Netlabs. Right now I am investigating which functions should be present. I will keep you informed.

Wim.

Since October 2013 I have been working on the implementation of isochronous transfers in USB Resource Manager. The current sources are at netlabs in my private branch:

usb - Revision 1138: /basedrv/branches/wim/usbcalls
https://svn.netlabs.org/repos/usb/basedrv/branches/wim/usbcalls
usb - Revision 1138: /basedrv/branches/wim/usbresmgr
https://svn.netlabs.org/repos/usb/basedrv/branches/wim/usbresmgr

I have produced a (beta test) matched set of usbcalls and usbresmg.sys that is backwards compatible. I have removed old code both in usbresmg.sys and usbcalls.dll for functions that were never properly supported. Existing synchronous transfer functions work well again and I have implemented these as asynchronous too. I have added code for the new asynchronous isochronous transfer functions. I am getting video from my Logitech C250 camera.

I have put this built as usbres00.zip on hobbes, and on my website
http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbcalls/index.html with API description.

Now it is possible to design an application that supports various cameras without having to modify config.sys for each specific camera. I intend to convert Weblook and Webview into such an application. Will take some time though.

Wim.

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:01 pm »

Since October 2013 I have been working on the implementation of isochronous transfers in USB Resource Manager. The current sources are at netlabs in my private branch:

I have produced a (beta test) matched set of usbcalls and usbresmg.sys that is backwards compatible. I have removed old code both in usbresmg.sys and usbcalls.dll for functions that were never properly supported. Existing synchronous transfer functions work well again and I have implemented these as asynchronous too. I have added code for the new asynchronous isochronous transfer functions. I am getting video from my Logitech C250 camera.

These are good news, thanks for the work on it  :)
About the webcam access,  doest it mean we can now have a generic pm application that can show the video of the connected usb webcam?

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
About the webcam access,  doest it mean we can now have a generic pm application that can show the video of the connected usb webcam?

Yes.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2014, 11:12:53 am »
Hello,

I tried it with my Sony Vaio Notebook and the green led turned on...

How far away is a driver that one can try?

//Jan-Erik Lärka

rbri

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2014, 07:59:21 pm »
Now it is possible to design an application that supports various cameras without having to modify config.sys for each specific camera. I intend to convert Weblook and Webview into such an application. Will take some time though.

Great, thanks a lot for your effort.

RBRi

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 10:08:21 pm »

Yes.

hello,
is it possible to recycle the one that was already compiled for different usb cams on your site? What about USBECD.SYS ?

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »

Yes.

hello,
is it possible to recycle the one that was already compiled for different usb cams on your site? What about USBECD.SYS ?

Hi Mike,

Yes, but it is easier for me to work on weblook first because it is a vio program. Mind you, the associated webview program is a pm program. The aim is to move away from usbecd.sys for generic webcam support. See my previous posts in this thread.

Wim.

Hello,

I tried it with my Sony Vaio Notebook and the green led turned on...

How far away is a driver that one can try?

//Jan-Erik Lärka

Hi Jan-Erik,

The (beta test) USB Resource Manager is already available.
The programs weblook and webview within a few weeks.

Wim.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »

I have installed it on a couple of eCS 2.1 systems. Only one has a camera. As I expected, without a program to use the camera, it does nothing. The good news is that your work didn't break anything.

Thanks...

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:37 pm »

I have installed it on a couple of eCS 2.1 systems. Only one has a camera. As I expected, without a program to use the camera, it does nothing. The good news is that your work didn't break anything.

Thanks...

Thank you for installing :) and the good :) news.