Author Topic: Webcam Support for OS/2 and eCS!!  (Read 145112 times)

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
Re: Webcam Support for OS/2 and eCS!!
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2014, 08:07:46 pm »
The 1st beta test of weblook and webview :) WebSeeBeta1.zip :) is now available at my website.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2014, 06:29:21 am »
The 1st beta test of weblook and webview :) WebSeeBeta1.zip :) is now available at my website.

Well, it works on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530, but there seems to be a couple of problems (it is inconsistent, sometimes it is all black). I am too tired to try to figure it out tonight.

Good start though.   :D

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2014, 04:20:38 pm »
 Thanks...I tried this new Beta with a Logitech C250. This cam worked well with your last version. With the new beta, it works for about 90 seconds, then the picture freezes. If I then close and re-open Webview, the image is black. I need to restart weblook to get video again - I can even leave webview open and the video un-freezes when I restart weblook.

muffetta

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2014, 04:43:20 pm »
No light and no shot from my Microdia usb webcam:
<<< Device Description >>>
 Type            : 01
 USB Rev         : 110
 Class           : Reserved (0)
 Subclass        : Reserved (0)
 Protocol        : Reserved (0)
  Device Information is defined at interface Level
 Max. packetsize : 40
 Vendor  ID      : 0C45
 Product ID      : 60FB
 Device Release# : 0101
 Strings:
  Manufacturer Name : Not implemented
  Product Name      : USB camera
  Serial number     : Not implemented
 Number of Configurations : 1
only black bmp, tested on all usb ports, the system remain stable during test, no freeze or hangs.
Thanks for your effort!!

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2014, 06:53:58 pm »
Well, it works on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530, but there seems to be a couple of problems (it is inconsistent, sometimes it is all black). I am too tired to try to figure it out tonight.

I should note that the device is discovered by USBECD.SYS as 5986:02D2:0011. I am also using the QSINIT loader, to work past a memory limit problem that the IBM OS2LDR has, and I am using OS/4 4210, so I can use ACPI without needing the /VW parameter. QSINIT, and OS/4 don't seem to have anything to do with the problem.

Now, for my fist problem:
On the Lenovo ThinkPad L530, I have eCS 2.1 on the C: drive, and eCS 2.2 on the M: drive. When I try to start WEBLOOK on eCS 2.1, I get this:
Code: [Select]
started.
[0104241B]
[01052422]
[0206240B]
[01072422]
Starting it on eCS 2.2, I get this:
started.
[0104241B]
[01052422]
[0206240B]
[01072422]
MJPG
[00000C00]
[00000010]
On-line. Use Ctrl+Break to end.
[open isochronous]
Using eCS 2.2, I can start WEBVIEW, and I can see myself in the window. WEBVIEW is all black with eCS 2.1 (I expect this, since it appears that WEBLOOK is not loading properly).

The first discrepancy, that I found, was that eCS 2.1 still had the device supported by USBECD.SYS, in CONFIG.SYS. ECS 2.2 does not have that line in CONFIG.SYS. REMing that line in eCS 2.1 did not change anything. Adding the line to eCS 2.2 CONFIG.SYS, changes nothing (it still works).

Obviously, I am missing something, but what do I look for?

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »
Thanks...I tried this new Beta with a Logitech C250. This cam worked well with your last version. With the new beta, it works for about 90 seconds, then the picture freezes. If I then close and re-open Webview, the image is black. I need to restart weblook to get video again - I can even leave webview open and the video un-freezes when I restart weblook.

I doubled the number of isochronous buffers in weblook.exe  and I replaced WebseeBeta1.zip on my website. I hope that helps.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2014, 07:29:47 pm »

I doubled the number of isochronous buffers in weblook.exe  and I replaced WebseeBeta1.zip on my website. I hope that helps.

I am seeing the same thing. Before it freezes, I am seeing the odd flash where the bottom of the picture is corrupted. There are also short periods where the picture pauses. After a while (60 to 90 seconds), the picture freezes. As observed by David, restarting WEBLOOK gets it going, and it starts all over again.

The updated WEBLOOK makes the corruption at the bottom of the picture, twice as big as what I saw with the original version, and it still freezes.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »
Hi Doug,

Now, for my fist problem:
On the Lenovo ThinkPad L530, I have eCS 2.1 on the C: drive, and eCS 2.2 on the M: drive. When I try to start WEBLOOK on eCS 2.1, I get this:

started.
[0104241B]
[01052422]
[0206240B]
[01072422]

These 4 lines tell me that your webcam supports YUYV and MJPG video. It is reported by weblook during its scan from the usb descriptors. It seems that that scan never ended because when it does you will get the MJPG line. Is it eating a lot of cpu time because of a scanning loop?

Starting it on eCS 2.2, I get this:

started.
[0104241B]
[01052422]
[0206240B]
[01072422]
MJPG
[00000C00]
[00000010]
On-line. Use Ctrl+Break to end.
[open isochronous]

Using eCS 2.2, I can start WEBVIEW, and I can see myself in the window. WEBVIEW is all black with eCS 2.1 (I expect this, since it appears that WEBLOOK is not loading properly).

The 2 lines below MJPG correctly show the frame length and number of microframes in an isochronous buffer.

The first discrepancy, that I found, was that eCS 2.1 still had the device supported by USBECD.SYS, in CONFIG.SYS. ECS 2.2 does not have that line in CONFIG.SYS. REMing that line in eCS 2.1 did not change anything. Adding the line to eCS 2.2 CONFIG.SYS, changes nothing (it still works).

Yes. I would expect it to make no difference.

May be C:\ECS\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS versus C:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS ?

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »
No light and no shot from my Microdia usb webcam:
<<< Device Description >>>
 Type            : 01
 USB Rev         : 110
 Class           : Reserved (0)
 Subclass        : Reserved (0)
 Protocol        : Reserved (0)

Sorry Barbara, but this is not a UVC compliant webcam. I cannot support it.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2014, 08:36:58 pm »

May be C:\ECS\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS versus C:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS ?

Well, not exactly, but that did get me to the resolution. It seems that TAME supplies it's own USBRESMG.SYS. After I changed the pointer to the new one, it now works exactly the same (including video corruption, and freezing) in eCS 2.1 and eCS 2.2. I guess I will need to try TAME again, with the new USBRESMG.SYS, although TAME never worked very well on that machine.

THANKS.   :)

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2014, 10:53:59 pm »

It doesn't seem to make any difference, the behaviour is exactly the same...

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2014, 10:46:01 am »

It doesn't seem to make any difference, the behaviour is exactly the same...

Thanks for testing. As usual ;) this freezing and corruption does not occur on my test systems. May be markexe mpunsave weblook.exe is required. I only have single core cpu's. What do you guys use? Aha, not so fast, it just froze here too. But it took more than 30 minutes and froze only once. No corruption though.

I have replaced WebSeeBeta1.zip on my website (weblook marked mpunsave).

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:54 pm »
  Wim,

I'm using a dual processor i3 CPU. Tried the newest version and still get the same behaviour... freeze after about a minute. If there is some kind of logging that can be done, I'd be glad to do it...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2014, 07:19:07 pm »
Mine is an Intel I5, with 2 cores (Hyperthreading turned off).

I just booted with /MAXCPUS=1 on the ACPI.PSD line, without updating. That should make my system a single processor. I still see the corruption, but not as often. I also see the short pauses, but it didn't freeze. It seems that the short pauses get more frequent, and last longer, every once in a while. That lasts for about 10 seconds, then it goes back to normal for about a minute.

Hmmm. I turned my back to make this post, turned around again, and the system was rebooting. It did it again, after about 12 minutes, so I have reverted to the IBM OS2LDR and kernel. I also enabled Process dump. I need to enable the system dump too.

I just found another "problem". When the system reboots (crashes), it does not turn off the camera indicator. When I start WEBLOOK, then WEBVIEW, the image is all black. I have to stop WEBLOOK (which turns off the indicator), and start it again, to get a picture.

Hmmm. WEBVIEW just crashed, with a SYS3175. I will collect whatever is there. It looks like just POPUPLOG.OS2, and a Process dump. The ZIP file is about 321KB, so I attached it here.

More later.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:23 pm »
Well, running as a single CPU certainly changes the problem. It just ran for more than an hour, without crashing, or freezing.

I removed /MAXCPUS=1, rebooted, and started again. I still have not updated to your latest version.

The first attempt resulted in a black window. I stopped WEBLOOK, and started it again. Now, I see the picture.

Opps, WEBVIEW just crashed again. It looks like the same thing as before. I will collect the logs, but not post them. let me know if you want them.

After restarting WEBVIEW, I have a frozen picture. I will update, but I suspect that it won't make any difference.