Author Topic: The OS/2 Community and the next 2019 year  (Read 23465 times)

Gregg Young

• View Profile
Re: The OS/2 Community and the next 2019 year
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 12:30:50 am »

Well in this case we need to provide financial support to BWW that helps to finish QT.

Being at Sigurd Fastenrath his OS/2 meeting in Cologne about 3 weeks ago, Lewis Rosenthal gave a Q&A to the people. He mentioned USB 3.0 is close to going into beta. And they are looking at UEFI.

What do you mean with bugs about loading DLL's high. Are these bugs reported to Arca Noae ?

Roderick

bww bitwise works posted
QtCore 5.11 porting and testing finished

We are proud to announce that we finished porting *and testing* the QtCore module of the Qt library version 5.11 for OS/2! This makes the text-mode part of Qt officially ready to go (including the QtNetwork, QtXml and a bunch of other utility modules). The test suite for QtCore contains 189 test units with a total amount of almost 70k tests! The release build passes 68666 tests (with only 2 occasionally failing because of the too coarse OS/2 system timer — this is to be fixed soon). The debug build passes 68572 tests (with only 2 failures as well, for the same reason). This is quite a number. Apparently, Qt5 is going to be the best Qt for OS/2 port ever.

We at bitwise wish you all Happy New Year! We also want to thank those of you who supported us through all the past years! We are looking forward into 2019 where we plan to finish Qt 5 and bring a new browser experience to the OS/2 platform (among other nice Qt 5 applications out there).

The DLL issue was reported by Rich Walsh (ticket 2194). Also I received the message above from BWW last night. Yet another reason to donate to them. Best wishes for 2019.

Gregg

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 02:29:14 am »
What do you mean with bugs about loading DLL's high. Are these bugs reported to Arca Noae ?
Basically when DLLs are loaded high and then unloaded, the address space is not released. Rich found the issue and filed an issue with Arca Noae.
Yes, that's it. BTW: Yesterday, I found docs I noted months ago about an EPM DLL whose memory isn't released after unloading if its code was loaded high. That might be related. But my skills about that are bad, so I haven't reported it.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 02:38:15 am »
Lewis Rosenthal gave a Q&A to the people. He mentioned USB 3.0 is close to going into beta. And they are looking at UEFI.
I know. Announcements are important. Dave is already years behind of what he has planned and what was announced. (That's normal when it comes to software.) What counts is what was released and what works.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 12:46:19 pm »
Was there not a couple of years ago also a website from an eComStation user who updated the migrate.exe database included in OS/2 to load DOS games ?

Its not that difficult if that would be stored centraly.

Martin do you remember that website I am talking about ?

Hi Roderick

I can not remember that website, if someone has the old URL maybe we can find something on the waybackmachine.

Happy New year to all !!
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 05:28:38 pm »
Was it eGamer from http://www.esimplesoft.org/ ?
I have some of the stuff at http://www.os2site.com/sw/ecs/games/index.html
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:25 pm »

Ivan @ appearance:
Hehe yep, maybe Windows 8/10 was a bad example. ; ) - Rather meant colourful effects, like when a progress bar advances, in general getting away from the legacy black on greyish KDE looks.. --> https://www.sallyx.org/sally/images/linux/linuxjpg/kde4.jpg

To make things clear: I like it as it is, and I do not miss anything, graphic wise. But it's not me alone. I've bought the license already. The product needs to convince others too now. ; ) - And what I hear, they are not pleased by the aged look of the current product.
As for myself I'd wish for a Warp 3 theme for ArcaOS, including these cewl sunken edge select bar from back then, instead of the warp4'ish oblique one-coloured (text colour inverting) select bar, like Win95 did back then.. urgh - Liked the Warp 3 flavour a lot better.
Warp 3 select bar in transparent sunken edge: https://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/bsgfx/ibm/os2-scr-08.gif
Warp 4 select bar in white on blue: https://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/bsgfx/ibm/os2warp4-scr-a5.png

But as you said the main concern are not the looks at the moment:
- USB3
- up2date browser (many remote maintenance-, backup- and observation tools have web based control inferfaces nowdays, which do not work in Firefox 38 yet)
- video card drivers (resolutions, 2D and maybe even 3D acceleration)

> I do hope that all goes well for you in Leipzig

Hrhrr, thanks Ivan! I'll put a report together after the event in May 2019, and post the results here in the forums. : )

Rick @ net tetris:
That sounds like a cewl project! Will the be usable until May 2019?

Gregg Young @ DOS graphics fix:
> Have you tried the vcompat.sys driver? It claims to fix some things that will allow more DOS games to work. http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/system/vCOMPATv035b.zip I'm not really a gamer so I can't say how well it works but it might be worth a look. It also addresses the 2GB disk size limit issue.

Sounds like THE honey pod I've been looking for! : )) - I'll check this out asap! - Thanks Gregg!

Roderick Klein @ migrate.exe database:
> Its not that difficult if that would be stored centraly.

Totally agreed! If there is such a thing, there should be a central spot to update and download the db.
Makes no sense to reinvent the bike 50 times.. ; )
If not, I'd offer my webserver to host the thingy, OR even better: Upload to hobbes, if they also take such stuff. : ))

Ian Manners @ OS/2 gaming sites:

> I have some of the stuff at http://www.os2site.com/sw/ecs/games/index.html

Wo~howww.. *bookmarked* :D
This needs some time to look into. I'll be testing this shortly, I hope. : )

Thanks Ian! : ))

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:53 pm »
As for myself I'd wish for a Warp 3 theme for ArcaOS, including these cewl sunken edge select bar from back then, instead of the warp4'ish oblique one-coloured (text colour inverting) select bar, like Win95 did back then.. urgh - Liked the Warp 3 flavour a lot better.
Warp 3 select bar in transparent sunken edge: https://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/bsgfx/ibm/os2-scr-08.gif
Warp 4 select bar in white on blue: https://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/bsgfx/ibm/os2warp4-scr-a5.png

The scheme palette is still there, under System Setup-->Appearance. If you want Warp V3, just drag it to which ever object you'd like or hold down the ALT key to change the whole system.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:16 pm »
Rick @ net tetris:
That sounds like a cewl project! Will the be usable until May 2019?

I presently have all the bugs fixed.  I have a list of 8 things left to add.  I hope to have them completed this weekend.

I could work on an OS/2 port of it later in January, or early February.  It shouldn't take too long.  It only uses a small portion of the Windows GDI presently for graphics, and with some tweaking it could be converted to use OS/2's GPI.  I also saw where SDL has been ported to OS/2, and I use that for the sound today ... so it looks like it would be fairly easy.

I've been using a USB-based SNES-like game controller for my game development, so you have left/right/up/down, and then four buttons (a,b,y,x) as well as the l,r buttons where your index fingers are.  It uses keyboard characters as well, so people can play it on a keyboard.

We'll see. :-)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 11:31:14 am »
Hehe thanks Dave, but the Scheme archive only holds colour schemes, not effects. - Good idea though!
I've tried the Warp V3 scheme first (system-wide), then applied the Icon Theme of Warp 3, rebooted as I was told, and... everything looked indeed much more Warp 3'ish, with the exception of the sunken edge @ selector bar in menus. That one is missing still. (see the attached picture)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 02:47:24 pm »
Hi

What about a different crazy idea, like trying to raise money to open source some important OS/2 software that the author does not want to open without a compensation?

Any suggestion on which software?

For example, paying for the source code (to be open sourced) of Object Desktop (changing it's name will be mandatory), and maybe joining it together with XWorkplace.

...crazy ideas are welcome !!!

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 12:10:12 am »
Martin, mhmm.. sometimes missed something like File Commander/2. Currently it`s Shareware. Nothing revolutionary, but very handy at times : )

Or.. if we REALLY can fund some money, why not Lotus Notes and/or Domino.. ; ) - But that might be out of range, as IBM might not hand out the source code...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:24:07 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 04:30:00 am »

PMView is an important program. I have no idea what might be required to obtain it.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 07:40:01 am »

PMView is an important program. I have no idea what might be required to obtain it.

I agree with Doug.  PMView is really a must have program.

FC/2 seems to be liked by quite a few.  I am a FM/2 man myself.  It is really what one gets used to.

KO continues to give us an updated VLC.  This is a must for multimedia.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:29:51 am by David Graser »

bfulton

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 07:36:56 am »
One thing I enjoy is to read accounts and rundowns of installations done on various software devices. It is helpful to know the extent of workability with different devices. For example, someone could install AC 5.1 on a Acer Aspire 1 and just see where it goes. Most of these devices would need the USB flash installation, but it would be neat just to hear about what worked, what didn't and what really didn't work. 

Individual reviews from every day users could do wonders for spreading information to PC users who might be curious.

As an aside, it is time to start talking about USB 3.0 support and even a discussion of the theory and merits of  USB-C (maybe that's asking too much). Fun discussions about hardware, sharing and commenting on the latest news from HP, Dell. Keeping things light and fun and practical.  :)