Author Topic: Adding and Removing Printer drivers  (Read 6452 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Adding and Removing Printer drivers
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:00:45 pm »
This ought to be straightforward. The list of installed printers is listed in any printer driver properties. You select the one you want, and the system deletes it.

But sometimes it doesn't. It may give the message that the printer driver cannot be deleted because it is in use by one or more printers. But examining the other printer objects shows that none are using it.

Manage Printers gives the same behavior and messages, so it's probably not some GUI bug. What is going on?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Lars

• View Profile
Re: Adding and Removing Printer drivers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:26:15 pm »
If you want to delete a printer driver, make sure you select it with a right mouse click so that it does not become highlighted when you attempt to delete it.

If that fails: sometimes you gotta be brave and use regedit2 to clean up os2sys.ini. If you have more than one printer installed you can guess from the other entries of what you need to fix. Maybe one of these days I am going to write a Rexx Script for that ...

These are the keys you need to look at:
PM_DD_<your printer name>
PM_SPOOLER_DD
PM_SPOOLER_PRINTER
PM_SPOOLER_PRINTER_DESCR
PM_SPOOLER_QUEUE
PM_SPOOLER_QUEUE_DD
PM_SPOOLER_QUEUE_DDDATA
PM_SPOOLER_QUEUE_DESCR
PM_SPOOLER_QUEUE_STATUS
PM_SPOOLER_QUEUE_TYPE

You will realize that there are some cross dependencies that will allow you to figure out what exactly to delete. If you are really daring, you can look into the DDK source code for PSCRIPT.DRV ...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:38:07 pm by Lars »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:19:32 pm »
This ought to be straightforward. The list of installed printers is listed in any printer driver properties. You select the one you want, and the system deletes it.

But sometimes it doesn't. It may give the message that the printer driver cannot be deleted because it is in use by one or more printers. But examining the other printer objects shows that none are using it.

Manage Printers gives the same behavior and messages, so it's probably not some GUI bug. What is going on?

Printer drivers have always been somewhat hard to get rid of. I use PRNDRV.EXE to remove unwanted printers. I thought it was part of the PMFAX package, but I don't see it there. Perhaps it was an additional download. Now, it seems to be at: https://ecsoft2.org/prndrv-os2-printer-driver-installerdeinstaller.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:21:49 pm »
Neil wants to delete a printer driver and not necessarily a printer. Looks like PRNDRV.EXE can only modfiy queues and printers but not directly printer drivers.
In the past I had a screwed up OS2SYS.INI (screwed up with respect to printers and printer drivers) which happens if a printer driver installation fails half way and the only resort was to fix OS2SYS.INI directly.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:31:33 pm »
Neil, The truth is that the same happened to me. The difference is that today one printer is removed and another one is five minutes old, and it works the first time. But my suggestion for those of netlabs, is that they mount a new pmpdf.wpi My suggestion would be with the Lexmark 750C, instead of the Apel Color Laser 12/600, which fails with the dbexpert, and I do not know if fail with other applications.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:51:05 pm »
But my suggestion for those of netlabs, is that they mount a new pmpdf.wpi My suggestion would be with the Lexmark 750C, instead of the Apel Color Laser 12/600, which fails with the dbexpert, and I do not know if fail with other applications.
Login with your netlabs.org account and then report that to the eCUPS bug tracker, not here.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:18:20 pm »
thanks for link, the ticket is open.