Public Discussions > Off Topic discussions

What is this? -- ArcaOS 5.02 kidding me? - What is PlayTime?

(1/5) > >>

Mathias:
Just had a *VERY* odd situation...

Came home.. booted up my ArcaOS machine to check e-mails and then continue to translate..
When I opened the Drive C: icon in tree view, there was only half folders there, that used to be! - Opened the Drive C: view in all the other variations.. no difference...
looked on OS/2 command line with dir /ad ... and there all the directories were listed!

Okay, the directories are there.. maybe there is a filter set, for the graphical user interface... I thought, so I went straight to Drive C: - Properties and checked the "Include" tab.

*** The normal view here is:
Use ____ Attribute ____ Comparisation ____ Value ____ Class
| _______ Flags ______ is less than _______ --H- _____ File System

*** instead I saw:
Use ____ Attribute ____ Comparisation ____ Value ____ Class
| _______ Flags ______ PlayTime ________ :) <-- as graphical smily

After displaying this, the whole machine freezed, and I went CTRL + ALT + DEL --> top
just to find out that everything is normal, no unusual processes.. --> exited from there --> went back to the graphical user interface of ArcaOS
All of sudden the machine did no longer hang, but an error message was displayed "Drive C: is no longer functional" (it meant the directory listing, not the drive itself I suppose) --> I hit the close button...
XWP restarted, and everything is now back to normal:
- the directories and files are displayed normally
- the "include" tab of "Drive C:" properties looks normal now..
- everything as normal again.

WTH?!??
Should I open a ticket at ArcaNoae and send a testlog? --> there is no popuplog.os2 file on C:\
Or is this a known effect?
Should I take pictures next time, before opening a ticket, so the support sees with their own eyes?

Mhmm.. never had anything like this before, so I better ask you guys.. :o
Thanks in advance btw!

In the meanwhile trying to reproduce this..

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Mathias.

I never saw that error, like you said it will be great to try to reproduce it and take some screenshots.

Regards

Doug Clark:
Mathias,

I had an issue of directories not showing up in the WPS - I think similar to your issue. The solution was to remove the extended attributes from a file. That thread is https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1273.msg11930.html#msg11930

Someone else (Dariusz) had what might be a related issue, which I don't know if he ever got fixed. That thread is https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1479.0.html

On the second thread you will see that Roberto had a similar issue across a network - his solution was to replace the network driver.

You will also see on the second thread that a question arose as to whether the issue was an xWorkplace issue or in the WPS itself. That question is never answered in the thread, but Rich Walsh has a posting on how to disable xWorkplace in order to try an isolate the problem. (If Dariusz reads this perhaps he can give us an update on his WPS/xWorkplace issue.)

As to your general question of has anyone else seen this issue - I don't know about your specific issue, but the WPS is an interesting, complex animal. I strongly suggest archiving your desktop periodically - right click on the desktop, select Properties, and then the Archives tab. I used to archive at every desktop start up but that turned out not to be too smart. You can only store 9 archives and I found myself needing to go back more than 9 to get to a stable archive. So I suggest manually archiving when appropriate - so maybe once a week or when you make major changes.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---When I opened the Drive C: icon in tree view, there was only half folders there, that used to be! - Opened the Drive C: view in all the other variations.. no difference...
looked on OS/2 command line with dir /ad ... and there all the directories were listed!
--- End quote ---

I see that problem, sometimes. It is a very OLD problem (long before eCS existed), that has never been fixed. It can happen immediately after a boot, or it may show up after months of working properly (the usual case). Restarting the WPS usually corrects the problem, for a little while, but re-boot is the only way to get a longer run. I usually clean my INI files, when I see it, and that makes it go away, for a longer period. If you try to open any other drive object, it will show as empty, until you restart the WPS, or reboot.

--- Quote ---Should I open a ticket at ArcaNoae and send a testlog? --> there is no popuplog.os2 file on C:\
--- End quote ---

There may already be an incident, but, so far, nobody has found a way to consistently reproduce the problem, so it is probably either closed, as not reproduceable (the usual case), not fixable (no source for the WPS), or for lack of feedback. Taking pictures only shows that it happened, it isn't going to help to fix the problem.

roberto:

--- Quote from: Mathias on January 09, 2019, 04:51:50 pm ---Came home.. booted up my ArcaOS machine to check e-mails and then continue to translate..
When I opened the Drive C: icon in tree view, there was only half folders there, that used to be! - Opened the Drive C: view in all the other variations.. no difference...

--- End quote ---
At this moment an error is detected, if you continue to use the computer after the error, you will increase the possible errors. My advice is to turn off and on again.
What I can tell you is that some teams are more sensitive than others to this problem. Static electricity??
Recently I spend with netflix, that the TV was not connected, call the support, they tell me to turn it off 20 to 30 minutes, disconnecting from the electricity, and remove the equipment connected to the usb. Turn on and all repaired.
By this I mean, if you have an error:
1- no continues
2- a restart in time will remove many problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version