Author Topic: What is this? -- ArcaOS 5.02 kidding me? - What is PlayTime?  (Read 19390 times)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Re: What is this? -- ArcaOS 5.02 kidding me? - What is PlayTime?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 05:45:49 pm »
re,

just checked...
- chkdsk /f on cmd.exe in the ArcaNoae Maintenance Shell --> no errors found
- BIOS for temperatures and voltages --> both OK
- if I can reproduce by repeating the mount of the ArcaOS root partition under linux, created a file, wrote data in it, umounted, rebooted, had a look on "Drive C:" and it's properties dialog --> Tab "Include" --> no problems at all, everything normal

So.. I cannot reproduce. : /
I'll run a memtest later on, overnight.

Andreas> It looks to me as if EAs got lost.

I've read about EAs in the chkdsk translation table, but not sure what this is. Are these temporary files on the partition, to store stuff about each directory?

Andreas>[..] you can try to delete EAs of a few files and folders

How do I do this? Do I need special tools for this?

Andreas>The Include setting that you describe is most-likely saved in a folder's .CLASSINFO EA. File objects like files and dirs store such info there.

How can I see these files? Are they indeed stored in each directory? Do I need to mount this JFS partition in another non-OS/2ish operating system to see them?
Sorry to ask no0bish questions, but NOT asking would be even more nO0bish.. ; )

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 06:10:22 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes is a good start.
Personally at this point, I wouldn't worry too much. Probably a bit got flipped, the smiley face was just a coincidence and hopefully it won't happen again. JFS does use Unicode and the smiley is a Unicode character.
Keep an eye on the partition in case any similar errors appear. Hard drives can deteriorate without triggering smart. You can also have things like cosmic rays cause one time errors.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 06:30:43 pm »
From what you describe, CPU temp isn't the problem.  As a note, the BIOS often times uses a sensor that has nothing to do with the on-die sensors.  I have had stability issues due to a single core overheating on a large multi core chip.  Using something like lm-sensors while loading all cores with mprime is good way to read the temps across each core to detect how evenly each is getting cooled.  A large difference in temps would have me reapplying compound.

Booting from a Linux live CD will give you access to a variety of utilities for testing.

I can be pretty lazy and would wait for the problem to happen again before spending the time to diagnose the problem.  It's good there was no file corruption.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 07:20:38 pm »
Tools for EAs:

I think Rich already wrote a few days ago almost the same in another thread.

1. Henk Kelder's EA Browser (EABROWSE.EXE, file selection is a bit cumbersome)
2. FM/2's EA Viewer (EAS.EXE, can also add and delete)
3. lxLite's noEA.exe (only deletion)
4. XWP's second File properties page of file sytem objects (only viewing)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 10:27:21 pm »
Good news: Memtest went fine and without errors.

Dave, okay, the smily could be an unicode character, but how about the string ¨PlayTime¨ instead of the other string, that is usually there?
But I do agree, I will keep an eye on the partition, and monitor its condition, also the running tasks, config.sys and co.

I might also try out some of the tools, that Andreas has posted.. but that maybe in a virtual machine, to practice the usage of these tools.. : )

Thanks to you all, for your great ideas!! \o/
When there is something new, I will keep you posted here.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 02:28:56 am »
Hi

Just wondering if ¨PlayTime¨ could be metadata from a media file that has somehow been transposed to the C: drive - maybe during a drive glitch.

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 04:25:32 pm »
I am not sure that this procedure can help you in your problem, but as it is very simple
I would tell you to try it.
This procedure is valid to solve graphical problems, in the manhjon, true spectra,
and virtualbox (refresh the screen)

Select the xcenter properties, and in the *view* windows, you remove the *Open xcenter automatically* mark.
Close the xcenter
Restart the system.

When you show the desktop, you start the FREEMEM.exe application, wait 30 seconds, close it if you want,
this is not necessary.

Everything is ready.

The xcenter should not be opened, if you want another application similar to the xcenter,
 you can use the SB2_TWS.exe
I attached the links you may need:
Fremem.exe:
https://archive.org/download/OS2PresentationManagerProgrammingCharlesPetzold_201703/PMOS2-Ziff.zip
SBr2:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/sbr2_023.zip