OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Internet

Unable to download PDF documents with FF 38.8

(1/7) > >>

ivan:
Today I found a problem with ff 38.8 - I am unable to download any PDF document, yet I can do so with my Linux box or win XP in a VM.

Digging around in options I find the Applications tab has no applications listed and no way to add any (see attachment) yet the 'mimeTypes.rdf file is in the profile and appears to have everything listed.  Even the PDF Download add on that works with ff 17.0.11 does not work.

Is there a way to get the ability to download PDF documents back or do I have to fire up a Linux box every time to do that?

Dave Yeo:
With Firefox closed, try deleting/renaming handlers.json from your profile.
You could also try toggling your SET MOZ_NO_RWS setting in config.sys or on a cmd line.

edit, seems we don't have the handlers.json file. Perhaps try moving mimetypes.rdf out of the way or at worse, swap it with one from a new profile.
Here the applications tab is populated so it seems to be a profile problem there. It gets populated when you click a link and choose download or whatever I believe.

David Graser:
Can FF be setup to use Lucide or does it already use Lucide?

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: David Graser on January 09, 2019, 09:33:33 pm ---Can FF be setup to use Lucide or does it already use Lucide?

--- End quote ---

If Lucide is set as the default PDF application, Firefox should use it. RWS helps here but it is somewhat buggy and usually turned off. Firefox really degraded in its handling of helper applications.

ivan:
Hi Dave,

I did the delete mimeTypes.rdf, it got recreated at next start (reduced from 63K to 4.8K) and still nothing in the Applications tab and the popup for how to deal with a file does not appear any more.  I assume the next thing is to try a new profile but raises the question of how do I migrate all the e-pub books that I have in the old profile to the new one.

Hi David,

I don't have a default program set for PDF files, sometimes I use Lucide and sometimes I use GSView depending on content. Lucide is good for reading text and GSView is excellent for drawings and engineering diagrams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version