Author Topic: Compiling my first WPS application  (Read 43597 times)

Lars

• View Profile
Re: Compiling my first WPS application
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »
Hi

I had wrote this quick article about my experience compiling HWMan.
It is located here: http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Compiling_HWMan_WPS_Class_on_ArcaOS_5.x

Constructive criticism and spell/grammar check are always welcome.

Regards

you do not necessarily need Netscape Communicator to install VAC 3.6.5. Alex Taylor has published articles on how to use an install object to install the application (I cannot find it right now). In fact I "pimped" my installation CD-ROM so that I can install VAC 3.6.5 without ever running Netscape Communicator.

What you effectively need to do is create an installation object and import the "PORTAPAK.RSP" file into the installation object.
Here is something that you can run from a batch file. Replace and rename directories as appropriate (the notes I wrote down):

C.  Invoking installation directly through an installation object
    I have reworked and modified PORTAPAK.RSP (on your VAC 3.6.5 installation CD-ROM) so that it can also be used to create an installation object.
    You create an installation object via CLIFI.EXE (it is installed on every OS/2 machine) once you have burned a new CD-ROM from the original
    CD-ROM and these patches.

For what follows, assume this:
    a.) your CD-ROM is drive V:
    b.) you want VAC 3.6.5 installed to drive D: and directory IBMC365
    c.) you want the OS/2 toolkit installed to drive E: and directory TOOLKIT

echo /O:ROOT >parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDrv1=D: >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDrv2=E: >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDir1=IBMC365 >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:InstDir2=TOOLKIT >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:PackagedFromPath=V:\COMPILER >> parms.txt
    echo /SET:ImageMediaPath=V:\COMPILER >>parms.txt
    echo /R:V:\COMPILER\PORTAPAK.RSP >>parms.txt
    echo /S:V:\COMPILER >>parms.txt

clifi.exe /A:B /F:"<WP_DESKTOP>" /PARMS:parms.txt

The installation object is created on your desktop. If you open it you can select/deselect the individual features to install. After installation
    you can either delete the object or keep it around somewhere if you want to install later on.
    During installation, you are asked to specify the "Source Media": just reenter the path: V:\COMPILER

I DID slightly modify file PORTAPAK.RSP but it should also work with the unmodified version.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »
Thanks Lars, I will search for Alex docs too.

I know that " IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5" is called  VAC 3.6.5, but I never understood why.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, the order of releases should be:
- IBM C Set/2 1.0
- IBM C Set++ for OS/2 2.0
- IBM VisualAge C++ 3.0
- IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5
- IBM VisualAge C++ Professional 4.0 - which I had been told it is buggy and it is not recommend to use it, right?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2018, 11:51:43 pm »
My old Feature Install without Netscape articles were published in the old VOICE newsletter.
Basic techniques: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL1007H/feature_2.html
Advanced topics: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0708H/feature_2.html

(Back at the time, I started work on a third part which covered even more advanced topics, but that effort ran out of steam once the newsletter went defunct.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:00:39 am by Alex Taylor »

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 04:04:53 am »
I know that " IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5" is called  VAC 3.6.5, but I never understood why.
For confusion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, the order of releases should be:
- IBM C Set/2 1.0
- IBM C Set++ for OS/2 2.0
- IBM VisualAge C++ 3.0
- IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5
- IBM VisualAge C++ Professional 4.0 - which I had been told it is buggy and it is not recommend to use it, right?
Now the order of the list should be correct. It seems, the "buggy" came from people that didn't use it all.

A simplified list of IBM's workstation C++ compiler by released products:
Code: [Select]
V1

5765-035 - IBM XL C ++ Compiler/6000 V1 (Jun 1992), V1.1.1 (Nov 1992)

V2

5604-464 - IBM C Set++ V2.0 (Jun 1993)
    5604-465 - IBM C Set++ V2.0 CD-ROM
    5604-466 - IBM C/C++ Tools V2
    5765-186 - IBM C Set ++ for AIX/6000 Version 2 (Dec 1993)
    5604-534 - IBM C Set ++ FirstStep V2.1 / IBM C/C++ FirstStep Tools V2.01 (Dec 1993)
    5604-535 - IBM C Set++ V2.1 / IBM C/C++ Tools V2.01

V3

5765-421 - C Set ++ for AIX V3.0 (Oct 1994), C Set++ for AIX Version 3.1.4
    5765-448 - C Set ++ for Solaris, V1 (Mar 1995)
    5622-679 - IBM VisualAge C++ for OS/2 V3.0 (Jun 1995), German Version (Apr 1996)
    5622-880 - IBM VisualAge C++ for Windows Version 3.5 (Mar 1996)
    5648-A81 - C and C++ Compilers for OS/2, AIX and Windows NT Version 3.6 (Dec 1997 - Dec 1998)

V4

5765-D52 - IBM VisualAge C++ Professional for AIX, Version 4.0 (Jul 1998 - Apr 2001)
    5639-F24 - IBM VisualAge C++ Professional for OS/2 and Windows NT, Version 4.0 (Dec 1998 - Jun 2002)

V5

5765-E26 - VisualAge C++ Professional for AIX, V5.0 (Mar 2000 - Dec 2003)

V6

5765-F56 - IBM VisualAge C++ Professional for AIX V6.0 (Jul 2002 - Mar 2006)
    5765-F56 - IBM VisualAge C++ V6.0 for Linux (Mar 2003)

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2018, 01:48:09 pm »
1) VAC  = "Visual Age for C++"
2) no, the list is now wrong. There was a version 3.0 , 3.6.5 and 4.0 for OS/2 and Martin's list was correct. Version 3.0 did not support 64-bit data types, Version 3.6.5 did and Version 4.0 has a completely different IDE (also getting rid of using conventional makefiles). These are completely different products.

Bogdan aka Andreas Kohl aka ak120 aka Andreas Kohl (in cyrillic letters) I think it's time for you to step up from behind the bush. It can only be you to write such nonsense.
Being the smart ass that you are I am sure you thought it was a brilliant idea to change the user name to not being banned again.

@Martin: of course it is now up to you what you want to believe or not.

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2018, 07:07:16 am »
Most people would think about voltage analogue current. But perhaps the dictionaries in Germany have different entries.

2) no, the list is now wrong. There was a version 3.0 , 3.6.5 and 4.0 for OS/2 and Martin's list was correct. Version 3.0 did not support 64-bit data types, Version 3.6.5 did and Version 4.0 has a completely different IDE (also getting rid of using conventional makefiles). These are completely different products.
Sorry, you're speaking about versions and the original question was for releases. The mentioned "3.6.5 and 4.0 for OS/2" are in fact combined into only one product. So it seems you're making claims without any proof. Hopefully not all Germans have this ignorant behaviour. I provided the list on my own here without the help from any German or Russian ghost writer. To make it German over-engineered you can simply duplicate one line to deal with your version aspect. It's not good tradition to make me guilty by association or to invent new conspiracy theories.

Człowiek nie wybiera.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2018, 01:38:15 pm »
Du hast Recht und ich habe meine Ruhe.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2018, 04:12:37 pm »
Most people would think about voltage analogue current. But perhaps the dictionaries in Germany have different entries.

Sorry, you're speaking about versions and the original question was for releases. The mentioned "3.6.5 and 4.0 for OS/2" are in fact combined into only one product. So it seems you're making claims without any proof. Hopefully not all Germans have this ignorant behaviour. I provided the list on my own here without the help from any German or Russian ghost writer. To make it German over-engineered you can simply duplicate one line to deal with your version aspect. It's not good tradition to make me guilty by association or to invent new conspiracy theories.

Człowiek nie wybiera.

Andreas Kohl aka Bogdan Szmalcownik is banned from this forum, isn't he?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2018, 04:39:07 pm »
Hi

I wanted to give a second change to Andreas (Bogdan Szmalcownik), since he seems more calm now. I advice Andreas to move on the subject, and to the rest just reply him "I disagree with your point of view because x and y" and move on.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »
I wanted to give a second change to Andreas (Bogdan Szmalcownik), since he seems more calm now. I advice Andreas to move on the subject, and to the rest just reply him "I disagree with your point of view because x and y" and move on.

Ya, some of us do frequent os2.org, looking at you Andreas, and though my other languages are rusty, I can still figure out enough  ;D
Otherwise, as Martin said.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2018, 07:53:46 am »
Hi

Regards

I wonder wether or not this would have been handeld the same way if Bogdan/Andreas Kohl would have named the US instead of German every time in his last post. It is obvious that the reasons for this behaviour are:
- dissappointed former east german life
- defect

For me this leads to not participate any longer in this forum. No, that is not some kind of threat, or fishing for "please stay", it is just because if people of his kind are given a plattform to attac others the way he does, and the answer is "move on", than it is time for me to leave this plattform. At os2org me, and not only me, are using the Ignore function, that makes it easy to avoid being bored by his personal attacs and everything else he might want to let the world know.

Just one question: if I delete my account, will my postings will be deleted as well? Thanks for an answer in advance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:58:50 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:10 am »
you do not necessarily need Netscape Communicator to install VAC 3.6.5. Alex Taylor has published articles on how to use an install object to install the application (I cannot find it right now). In fact I "pimped" my installation CD-ROM so that I can install VAC 3.6.5 without ever running Netscape Communicator.

I just remember that I created a zip of updated files for the VAC 3.6.5 installation CD-ROM. Basically you copy your CD to the harddisk, drop the contents of the ZIP over it and reburn the CD-ROM.

It's here:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/dev/cplusplus/patches/vacinstfix2.zip