Author Topic: Large mouse pointer for high resolution desktop ?  (Read 12920 times)

madbrain

Large mouse pointer for high resolution desktop ?
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:31 am »
Now that I finally succeeded running OS/2 in a VM at 4K resolution, the mouse pointer is very tiny. I use the comet pointer to keep track of it, but it is still quite small. The standard OS/2 mouse object offers different mouse pointer icons, but they are all small.

Is there any software out there that will allow using a larger mouse pointer ? In my Win10 host, also running in 4K, the pointer is large enough.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: Large mouse pointer for high resolution desktop ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:29 am »
I don't think so. BTW: The OS/2 comet cursor feature doesn't work together with Mozilla apps.

madbrain

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:23 am »
I don't think so. BTW: The OS/2 comet cursor feature doesn't work together with Mozilla apps.

In what way ? It seems to be OK right now in Firefox 45.9.0 .

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:42:40 am »
Good news! For prior versions, the cursor hangs on moving it over a Mozilla window. (I didn't manage to get 45.9.0 installed here, only beta versions, where I hadn't enabled the comet cursor. I haven't tried it on other, faster machines.)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:36:48 am »
Yes the problems with the comet cursor and Mozilla seem to be gone.

madbrain

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:58:25 am »

Also tried in my ECS 2.0 VM with an ancient Firefox 4.0.1 . No issue with the comet cursor with GENGRADD at 3840x2160x16bpp in Virtualbox . I guess that's one problem I never saw.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 04:03:38 am »
Now that I finally succeeded running OS/2 in a VM at 4K resolution, the mouse pointer is very tiny. I use the comet pointer to keep track of it, but it is still quite small. The standard OS/2 mouse object offers different mouse pointer icons, but they are all small.

Is there any software out there that will allow using a larger mouse pointer ? In my Win10 host, also running in 4K, the pointer is large enough.

Unfortunately, all versions of OS/2 are still limited to 32x32 pel.  It would be nice if the size is raised 40x40 or larger. Most of the arrow pointer icons are small.  Switching to other designs can help.

I wonder how hard it would be for people at ArcaOS to raise the hard coded size limit to 40x40 pel and do away with the 32x32 pel.  The old icons could be copied to the new 40x40 and still work as designed.  New icons could be designed larger.   It would take someone to convert their 32x32 over to 40x40.  I would be willing to do that if the pointer size could be raised to 40x40 pel.

Now that I think about it.  I need to test to see if a 40x40 ptr can be used.  I assumed it was limited to 32x32, because I have never seen larger.  However, I have never tested for a 40x40 ptr.

David
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:22:15 am by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 06:58:35 am »

Also tried in my ECS 2.0 VM with an ancient Firefox 4.0.1 . No issue with the comet cursor with GENGRADD at 3840x2160x16bpp in Virtualbox . I guess that's one problem I never saw.

IIRC, it was to do with DIVE and/or hardware cursors and generally DIVE is disabled with current video drivers. Enough people had the problem that it was recommended to not use the comet cursor.
I'll test with a supported chipset (T42) and see if I can reproduce.
Hmm, had a hell of a time getting DIVE working, seems someone has changed the pref, layers.accelerated to be backwards, when at the default of true, stderr outputs that it is set to false and disables DIVE. Setting it to false allows DIVE and the comet cursor didn't seem to hurt. Anyways stupid change, they should have just changed the default if they wanted to disable DIVE due to the comet cursor issue, and I don't know why else to disable video acceleration unless it's a bug. I'll look at the code later.
On eCS 2.2b2 with Firefox 10.12 and the SNAP I downloaded from Lenovo, when the mouse cursor changes, eg to the pointing finger, the whole system blocks for up to a minute, and then comes alive again. Be irritating inputting text.
Also discovered DIVE can only be enabled in FF with 16M colours.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 07:20:26 am »
I use OS/4 on one partition.  I uses their modified dive.dll.  I use comet cursors here also.  Need to see is FF is affected.  Sadly, I have not paid attention.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 07:39:16 am »
I use OS/4 on one partition.  I uses their modified dive.dll.  I use comet cursors here also.  Need to see is FF is affected.  Sadly, I have not paid attention.

Note the backwards pref I mentioned. DIVE should help with video playback but IIRC, doesn't work on Mozilla with Panorama.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 04:13:03 pm »
Animated mouse pointers, updated in 2010 work stable - http://os2.guru/projects/amptr/?action=down
(part of NeoWPS project)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:30 pm »
It is no problem to make very large mouse pointer with the pictogram editor program. However, once saved to a set it will load, but resized by the system to 32x32. I had made a mouse pointer with a gridsize 64x64, where it should be active is also accepted in the editor.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 06:31:29 pm »
It is no problem to make very large mouse pointer with the pictogram editor program. However, once saved to a set it will load, but resized by the system to 32x32. I had made a mouse pointer with a gridsize 64x64, where it should be active is also accepted in the editor.

Yes, I just tested.  I created a 40x40 ptr.  When selected, it is resized to 32x32. So the 32x32 must be hard coded.  If this were ever changed, make the default icon bigger to say 64x64 or 48x48.  This would enable the ptr author to create any ptr up to the max size possible.

David
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:51:52 pm by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 06:36:45 pm »
Animated mouse pointers, updated in 2010 work stable - http://os2.guru/projects/amptr/?action=down
(part of NeoWPS project)

Thanks Eugene.  I always like the ability to use animated mouse pointers.  I had to quit when it became buggy with ArcaOS.  I am going to give this new version a try.

David

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:07 pm »
(part of NeoWPS project)

Thanks Eugene.  I always like the ability to use animated mouse pointers.  I had to quit when it became buggy with ArcaOS.  I am going to give this new version a try.

David

Works great!  Now if I can remember how to make animated pointers.  The readme.inf file does not install property.  I had to point the icon to the correct file.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:56:57 pm by David Graser »