OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Utilities

SyncBackup & ssh-askpass

(1/2) > >>

Ben:
I have been using SyncBackup with rsync here, with great success, for a while now.

Recently I tried to use it to backup to a Ubuntu machine.

Do anyone here know if there is such a package, (ssh-askpass), for OS/2?

Doug Bissett:
I don't know of any such package, but I think it is unnecessary anyway. Linux users seem to be obsessed by user IDs, and passwords, so that is probably where your problem lies.

I have been trying Linux Mint 15 Olivia Cinnamon 64, which is based on Ubuntu. I got RSync (eCS) to send data to it from eCS by doing this:

Make a directory in the home folder to receive the data (I called it RSyncData).

Create rsyncd.conf in the etc directory (use root to create/edit it). The contents are:

--- Code: ---    read only = false
    timeout=1200
    log file = rsyncd.log

[backups]
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.100/24
    comment = Backup storage area
    path = /home/dougb/RSyncData
    gid = root
    uid = dougb

--- End code ---

My user ID is dougb, and the machine IP address is 192.168.0.101. Change to match your machine, and ID. The log file ends up in the user's (dougb) home directory.

If RSync is already running, it should find the changes to rsyncd.conf. If it isn't running, start it.

I just use RSync, without the SyncBackup front end, so I am not too sure how you configure that. On the eCS end, I used a batch file to do the RSync command:

--- Code: ---SET RSYNC_PASSWORD=1234567

W:\UTILITY\RSYNC\BIN\RSYNC.EXE -a --delete --log-file=logs/RsyncTest.log U:/acpi/ 192.168.0.101::backups/
--- End code ---

This starts RSync, to copy the contents of U:/acpi to the RSyncData folder in Linux. The password is the password for the user defined in the rsyncd.conf file (uid).

Once you get it actually working, you can add whatever else you need (which SyncBackup probably does anyway). The trick seems to be to set the password, in the environment variable, before starting the program, so that RSync can use it.

I use a timeout value of 1200 (seconds), because RSync seems to time out, and cut off the transfer, if an individual file transfer takes longer than the timeout. That happens with large files, and slow connections.

Ben:
Thanks for replying, Doug.

Most of that I had done, with some exceptions as relates to getting around the password; that I have now solved by combining your *.conf with mine and by setting the environment variable for the password.

Working with the commandline here, I noticed in your example;
--- Quote --- 192.168.0.101::backups/
--- End quote ---
... called "backups/". I first I thought it to be a directory, but the "::" defines it as a module.

How does that apply... or is it not related/necessary?

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Working with the commandline here, I noticed in your example;

192.168.0.101::backups/

... called "backups/". I first I thought it to be a directory, but the "::" defines it as a module.

How does that apply... or is it not related/necessary?

--- End quote ---

The module is "backups". The directory to use, in that module, is "/", or the root of the module (/home/dougb/RSyncData). In this case, it is probably not necessary, however, if you wanted to store the U:\ACPI data in /home/dougb/RSyncData/ACPI you would use the command:

--- Code: ---W:\UTILITY\RSYNC\BIN\RSYNC.EXE -a --delete --log-file=logs/RsyncTest.log U:/acpi/ 192.168.0.101::backups/ACPI/
--- End code ---
Note that Linux is case sensitive, so it will create, and use, the upper case directory name (in this case), while eCS doesn't care about that.

The trailing slash (on both source, and target), gives you a little more control over what RSync will work with. Look up "trailing slash" in the RSync docs.

Ben:

--- Quote ---The module is "backups". The directory to use, in that module, is "/", or the root of the module (/home/dougb/RSyncData).
--- End quote ---

I went ahead on that assumption, but rSyncd on the other end, continues to report "@ERROR: Unknown module" leading one to believe that there is something wrong with the directory configuration... but there isn't; both sides are in sync and the directories exist.

It is peculiar though, that it is called a "module" and not as a "directory"... which would be typical and expected.

It also reports "rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1649) [sender=3.0.9]"

I'm close, but I need to dig deeper...

I'll post my findings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version