OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

Firefox high mem

(1/3) > >>

mauro:
Hi, have Firefox 45-9-0 on OS2 W 4.52 guest machine in Virtualbox, 1024 Mb ramsize.  It runs good, just have to say that it takes almost 30 secs to appear after the first start in the session but after that is ok, then it takes much less when recalled again.
I've seen an item called Firefox highmem in the ANPM repositories, do you know if once installed it could take improvements to Firefox?
Thank you

Dave Yeo:
It really depends on your usage patterns including what else you run. It'll give you more lower memory for running other stuff but if you only occasionally use Firefox and not much else in OS/2 it might not make much difference.
If you do try it you also should use mozturbo https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mozturbo/downloads/ to keep the DLLs loaded as your kernel doesn't have some of the fixes for unloading the DLLs when loaded high. Mozturbo should speed up loading too.
It might help more to give your virtual machine another 1/2 a GB of memory

mauro:

--- Quote from: mauro on January 16, 2019, 03:00:13 pm ---Hi, have Firefox 45-9-0 on OS2 W 4.52 guest machine in Virtualbox, 1024 Mb ramsize.  It runs good, just have to say that it takes almost 30 secs to appear after the first start in the session but after that is ok, then it takes much less when recalled again.
I've seen an item called Firefox highmem in the ANPM repositories, do you know if once installed it could take improvements to Firefox?
Thank you

--- End quote ---

ok, that is good to know, I'll apply the suggestions for Firefox himem and Moztubo. Repeat it is actually taking a little bit more to run at the first time start, nothing else.  Talking about ram size, I read somewhere that OS2 can work only up to 512 Mb, so more than that is useless.
Thank you

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: mauro on January 16, 2019, 05:14:11 pm ---[Talking about ram size, I read somewhere that OS2 can work only up to 512 Mb, so more than that is useless.
Thank you

--- End quote ---

That's not really correct. Traditional OS/2 can only use up to 512 MBs (minus system needs) of address space. it's a multi-tasking system so multiple processes can each use up to 512 MBs of private address space and can share (DLLs and such) 512 MBs (actually more like 300 MBs after loading the system) of shared address space. so even then more real memory is better.
OS/2 Warp server along with the desktop after Warp v4+fp13, which unified the kernel etc with Warp Server, can also use high memory above 1GB. Firefox will allocate memory in the high arena if possible and the highmem package marks the DLLs in such a way that the system will  load the DLLs high.
Firefox itself can easily use over 512 MBs of memory if you open lots of tabs and likely won't even be worth trying to run on older versions of OS/2

xynixme:
I assume ABOVE512.EXE can be used too, to mark that single and unused FF/SM dictionary DLL (code & data) as high?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version