Author Topic: Tetris-like game  (Read 21974 times)

RickCHodgin

Tetris-like game
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:33:20 pm »
I have written a Tetris-like game for Windows.  If any of you would like to try it out and be a beta tester, please send me an inbox.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:47:30 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
Re: Tetris-like game
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »
Rick

imho this is really a waste of time, as we have already a lot Tetris like games. See http://trac.netlabs.org/qtapps/wiki/QT4%20Games

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:09:44 pm »
Hi

Rick, I celebrate the freedom to reinvent the wheel and try the same result with different approaches.
When you port it to OS/2 I will be happy to give it a try.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »
imho this is really a waste of time, as we have already a lot Tetris like games. See http://trac.netlabs.org/qtapps/wiki/QT4%20Games

I appreciate your guidance.  I'm asking for your best advice, Silvan ... should I abandon the project?

RickCHodgin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:46:53 pm »
When you port it to OS/2 I will be happy to give it a try.

I think you misunderstand.  I was asking for Windows beta testers in this thread.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:58 pm »

I appreciate your guidance.  I'm asking for your best advice, Silvan ... should I abandon the project?

In my opinion yes. But YMMV
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

RickCHodgin

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »

In my opinion yes. But YMMV

Being as you know nothing about me, my project, my goals, really anything about me personally, but only as some random person over the Internet ... I'm curious, what is your reasoning in providing this guidance as your best advice?  How do you conclude it's the best path I could take?  I am serious in asking.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 06:38:26 pm »
I want to try it, but where can I download it?
 I understand that it can be executed in win3.11 with the current os2?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:02 pm »
Silvan probably thinks you're just reinventing the wheel, rather then inventing something new, which is sort of true but its your time to do what you like with.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 08:03:07 pm »
Being as you know nothing about me, my project, my goals, really anything about me personally, but only as some random person over the Internet ... I'm curious, what is your reasoning in providing this guidance as your best advice?  How do you conclude it's the best path I could take?  I am serious in asking.

We know, that you are on a mission to replace OS/2 with something else. We also know that you aren't interested in helping to keep the current OS/2 viable, long enough for you to create whatever it is that you think you are creating, so even if you succeed, there may be no users left to make use of your work. Meanwhile, there are a small group of people (Silvan, and Dave, among them), busting their backsides, trying to keep OS/2 actually working. They seem to be losing the race, and could use all of the help that anybody is willing to give them. So far, you talk the big talk, but a tetris game, for another OS, doesn't make the cut. You could be doing something more useful, like making a Bluetooth driver, doing IPV6 support, a dump program that will dump the full memory space, to disks that are larger than 500 MB, or any one of a hundred other things that would help to keep OS/2 actually working in today's world. Pick things that can be useful to your project, sometime in the future, but can also be useful in the real world today. You may learn a few things about how OS/2 works, along the way.

It is frustrating for those of us who are trying to keep OS/2 alive, to see someone, who supposedly knows what he is doing, waste valuable development time creating another copy of an old game for some other OS. However, as Dave points out, it is your time, so do with it as you please.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 08:03:21 pm »
I want to try it, but where can I download it?
 I understand that it can be executed in win3.11 with the current os2?

I never thought about Windows 3.11.  It should work with Windows XP and later as-is (uses GDI+ to load PNG files), and I can convert them to BMP to remove that requirement, which would work with Windows 95 or later.

It probably would work with Windows 3.11 in its design, but I don't know.  I don't have a development environment setup to test it.  If someone can point me on what to do I can investigate it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:33:21 am by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 08:13:21 pm »
It is frustrating for those of us who are trying to keep OS/2 alive, to see someone, who supposedly knows what he is doing, waste valuable development time creating another copy of an old game for some other OS. However, as Dave points out, it is your time, so do with it as you please.

My goals are specific, and I'm working on a plan that has been many years in the making.  Things happen in life which cause people to alter their projected schedules, which is what's happened here.  My plan remains still as it was, however, but there are some other things that must be done first ... and this game (and another 14 that I have to work on) are part of it.

I've never written a game before.  This is my first attempt.  I was proud of what I've accomplished and I wanted to share what I've done to get feedback to make my product the best it can be.

In writing this game I've not only written the game itself, but a game engine, which will allow me to make several of the other 14 games much more quickly (the ones that use a similar style of interaction, as there are also planned world-pan, 2.5D, and 3D games, which will each use custom engines designed for those types of games).

My goals in creating ES/1 and ES/2 are to provide people with a new path forward for OS/2-like software.  I want to maintain very high source code compatibility, but I do want to move away from the OS/2 base API and model because it is aged, it needs to be updated, and there are many things which need to be removed, altered, or added.

My goals are to give the OS/2 community a new OS/2 that will move forward with them.  I would ask people to help me on this project as well, and it's frustrating to me also that I've been coming here for so long and have not received any help on anything thus far, but continually receive negativity.  A small handful of people, a non-vocal minority, have been genuinely helpful.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:22:19 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:53 pm »

I can leave OS2 World if my presence is causing people frustration and grief.  I don't want to cause people frustration or grief.  It would be my loss as I learn a lot here.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 09:35:10 pm »

I can leave OS2 World if my presence is causing people frustration and grief.  I don't want to cause people frustration or grief.  It would be my loss as I learn a lot here.

I don't think there's any need for you to leave. You do bring a different interesting viewpoint and as long as your work reflects your pay, you're free to do what you like with your time.
You probably won't find much help with your project as most of us think there are more pressing things to do, but that reflects our pay scale. Volunteers do what they volunteer to do.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »

I don't think there's any need for you to leave. You do bring a different interesting viewpoint and as long as your work reflects your pay, you're free to do what you like with your time.
You probably won't find much help with your project as most of us think there are more pressing things to do, but that reflects our pay scale. Volunteers do what they volunteer to do.

For ES/2 I plan to write a replacement PM.  It should compile and work with OS/2 with minimal changes.  I will be writing several drivers and many of those will likely be portable to OS/2 as well.  I think there will be at least 70% of what I write for ES/2 that can be ported to OS/2 with little effort ... but I am hoping people will see value in ES/2 since it's open source, and move over porting their OS/2 apps to ES/2 with minimal changes.

We'll see.