Author Topic: best process killer application  (Read 21066 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: best process killer application
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:10 am »

If you are using eCS, or ArcaOS, CADH (Ctrl-Alt-Del Handler) is installed by default. TOP is also included in the CADH menu. Just do Ctrl-Alt-Del, and it should open the menu (as long as the system is responding). The rest is pretty obvious, and TOP is one of the options.

If you have an earlier version of OS/2, you would need to install the programs. I haven't seen that part for many years, I would assume that there are instructions included.

ok fine, having OS2 Warp 4.52, by installing CADH (it's a wpi package) it will take what needed, TOP included.
Thank you

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
that's it, now I have CADH + TOP (and XF86sup.sys) installed and working thanks to your help.
When I call the OS2 system shut down, a message warns that cadh popup is still active,  if I really want to terminate it must select OK.
As selected OK the system goes on shutting down .
Is this working as it is supposed to do?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06:23 pm »
When I call the OS2 system shut down, a message warns that cadh popup is still active,  if I really want to terminate it must select OK.

If you are using XWorkPlace, there are shutdown options for things like that. I don't remember how you do it when you don't use XWorkPlace.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 07:48:11 pm »

If you are using XWorkPlace, there are shutdown options for things like that. I don't remember how you do it when you don't use XWorkPlace.

other musthave stuff for me, thanks   :D

xynixme

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 02:34:08 am »
If you are using eCS, or ArcaOS, CADH (Ctrl-Alt-Del Handler) is installed by default. TOP is also included in the CADH menu.
FWIW: the silently added component TOP is only included with some versions of eCS. Probably the v2.x DE/EN ones.

Its author has released at least one CADH-related update in 2018, i.e. since the last version of eCS: "Added ability to use CADH.SYS for force kill option.". Dunno if some CADH WPI package was updated too.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 03:19:46 am »
update in 2018 [...] "Added ability to use CADH.SYS for force kill option."
No, that feature is included since many years. I guess more than 10 years. (Note that e.g version 2.0 is from 2010.)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 04:41:34 am »
What was added last year, was the ability to use cadh.sys instead of xf86sup.sys for the forced kill feature.
From top.txt (ver 2.14)
Version 2.14  06-01-18
  Added ability to use CADH.SYS for force kill option.

Version 2.13  25-10-14
  Added usage information for force kill option to PKILL.

Version 2.12  20-10-14
  Added force kill options.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 02:17:21 pm »
If you are using eCS, or ArcaOS, CADH (Ctrl-Alt-Del Handler) is installed by default. TOP is also included in the CADH menu.
FWIW: the silently added component TOP is only included with some versions of eCS. Probably the v2.x DE/EN ones.

Its author has released at least one CADH-related update in 2018, i.e. since the last version of eCS: "Added ability to use CADH.SYS for force kill option.". Dunno if some CADH WPI package was updated too.

the suggested downloaded version of CADH has TOP handling item in the main menu but TOP is not included in CADH installation, must be installed apart, which only consists in copyig his files in the OS2 directory

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 12:48:39 pm »
2Dave Yeo: WatchCat works fine with both PS/2 and USB keyboards with a wccall.exe utility from ErOS2. If someone interested, I can share it.

xynixme

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 01:44:22 pm »
which only consists in copyig his files in the OS2 directory
Well... If you upgrade the OS later, then there may be one copy in your OS2 directory, a different copy in my eCS directory structure, yet another different copy installed by an user in a PATH directory, and yet another installed copy in an ArcAOS directory structure.

That's why an author of an "OS component" could consider releasing that OS component as an upgrade for all brands, unless the component is too new. Then it doesn't really matter if you are using a German eCS 2.x, an Italian eCS 1.x or an informal Korean OS/2 Warp FP, and you don't have to browse through your Spanish Warp 3 system directories to avoid the loss of a great tool after an upgrade to ArcaOS 5.1.4 ES.

AFAICT eCS (2.x only) saves TOP files in 2 directories, so when nothing but OS2 would be used then you've also moved the docs to that different directory. "OS components" could have a special status, and it makes using such an utility more common.  OO.EXE is more stable than a matching Rexx script, but you may have to explain where to find it and how to install it.

Anyway, you can save TOP in the OS2 directory, but you may end up with sevelar installed versions of TOP, and you may not be able to find a manual someone refers to in a eCS subdirectory, which you may not have. Save it where an OS upgrade would save it. That may be OS2 directories, plural. Or ECS directories. Or ...