Author Topic: best process killer application  (Read 21072 times)

mauro

• View Profile
best process killer application
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:59 pm »
I'm looking for a process killer program for OS2 Warp 4.52 (guest in Virtualbox), simple to run, intuitive (GUI welcome), free.
Know a good one is CAD, but it's payware.
Could you recommend another?
Thank you

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: best process killer application
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:03:28 pm »
I think you are best off grabbing CAD handler from Veit Kannegieser. In my experience most process killers on OS/2 under the bonnet do not work all the different. They all use the same technology.

If you do use a process grab something that runs in full screen text mode. Any process killers running in PM graphics mode are more or less useless in my opinion. Because if you need a process killer in a lot of cases the PM shell gets "blocked".

CAD handler from Veit Kannegieser comes with an advanced kill, you need to install XF96sup.sys for this.

Roderick Klein

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:50:30 pm »
Hi

Just in case here are Veit Kannegieser's files:
http://kannegieser.net/veit/programm/

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:12:48 am »
Paul Ratcliffe'a Top ver 2.14 is very good also.

OS/2 VIO application to monitor CPU usage by process. It does NOT impose an artificial load on the system to generate usage statistics. The process list can be sorted according to various criteria (including CPU percentage, name, threads), and any process from the list can be selected to be killed.

http://home.clara.net/orac/files/os2/top214.zip

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:58:59 am »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:17:29 am »
Paul Ratcliffe'a Top ver 2.14 is very good also.

OS/2 VIO application to monitor CPU usage by process. It does NOT impose an artificial load on the system to generate usage statistics. The process list can be sorted according to various criteria (including CPU percentage, name, threads), and any process from the list can be selected to be killed.

http://home.clara.net/orac/files/os2/top214.zip

much interesting this one as well,   I saw the zip consisting in some executable files, how should they be installed-used ? Sometimes it is a matter of copying the files in the respective folders, I do not think this could be applied tn this case. It is not described in the readme.
Thanks

xynixme

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:04:51 pm »
I saw the zip consisting in some executable files, how should they be installed-used ? Sometimes it is a matter of copying the files in the respective folders
TOP is one of the secret, silent OS upgrades, and there is an informal upgrade package for eCS 1.x at Hobbes. Installing TOP is simple, FWIW. Thh upgrade package just uses the same directory structures, so we are all talking about the same TOP.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-viewer.php?dir=/pub/os2/util/process&file=top214-ecs12.zip&backto=%2Fh-search.php%3Fsh%3D1%26button%3DSearch%26key%3Dtop21%26stype%3Dall%26sort%3Dtype_name%26dir%3D%252F
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:13:18 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:15:23 pm »

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:03:47 pm »
I know it is quite old by the standards of others that have come out since, but I still like WatchCat

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 03:47:39 am »
PKill.exe is included with ArcaOS. It is a command line tool, that seems to do the job well.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 04:09:18 am »
PKill.exe is included with ArcaOS. It is a command line tool, that seems to do the job well.

Thank you, I have also been looking for something to kill processes.  For fun, I just tried a "ps -ax" at an OS/2 command prompt, but no surprise, unknown command.  I see ArcaOS provides top, so I can find PIDs there.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 04:29:52 am »
I know it is quite old by the standards of others that have come out since, but I still like WatchCat

Watchcat doesn't work so well with USB keyboards.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 06:58:53 am »
Installing TOP is simple, FWIW. Thh upgrade package just uses the same directory structures, so we are all talking about the same TOP.

yes I trust you, but I cannot decode this answer, still need to understand how to install and make it work. There are some different excecutable in the zip files: then what next?
Thank you

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 07:15:48 am »
I see ArcaOS provides top, so I can find PIDs there.

If you use TOP, you might as well kill processes with that. PKILL does not need a PID, it will kill by name. For instance, if you need to kill the CUPS darmon (CUPSD), just do PKILL CUPSD, and it will do it. Be aware, that CUPSD has backup capability, so you need to kill it multiple times (4, I think) to convince it to go away Most programs don't do things like that.

yes I trust you, but I cannot decode this answer, still need to understand how to install and make it work.

If you are using eCS, or ArcaOS, CADH (Ctrl-Alt-Del Handler) is installed by default. TOP is also included in the CADH menu. Just do Ctrl-Alt-Del, and it should open the menu (as long as the system is responding). The rest is pretty obvious, and TOP is one of the options.

If you have an earlier version of OS/2, you would need to install the programs. I haven't seen that part for many years, I would assume that there are instructions included.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 07:30:35 am »
I should also mention the LSwitcher widget, for XCenter/eCenter. It is a replacement for the Window List widget, and it has some useful features, like Ctrl LMB on the LSwitcher desktop icon, and it will list processes. Click on a process, and it will offer to kill it. Click outside of the window, and it just closes the window. Shift LMB will list running programs. LSwitcher also has a program that does the same things. You can choose one, or the other, in the LSwitcher installer (Don't try both at the same time).

LSwitcher is at: https://trac.netlabs.org/lswitcher
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:32:07 am by Doug Bissett »