Author Topic: T540P Touch-Pad Button Issue  (Read 6066 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
T540P Touch-Pad Button Issue
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:46:18 pm »
I'm built a multi-boot system (Win 10, ArcaOS 5.03) on a T540P. Everything works as expected so far. The one issue I have is with the mouse buttons on the touch-pad. I have disabled the touch-pad portion of the interface via the bios and just use the trackpoint for mouse movement. At times when I try and do mouse clicks with the touch-pad, it causes the mouse jump all over the screen. The jumps generally seem to go up to the top left of the screen.

This unit has the type of touch pad where the mouse buttons are not a separate part of the unit. The left/right mouse buttons are simply activated by pressing the top of the pad where some raised bumps are.

Now this unit functions exactly as expected under Win 10, with no mouse jumping.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: T540P Touch-Pad Button Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:54:30 pm »
Which mouse driver are you using? Here on my T42, the IBM mouse driver works better then Amouse. The T42 does have separate mouse buttons, both for the trackpoint and touch-pad with the touch-pad disabled in BIOS.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 07:29:03 pm »
Which mouse driver are you using? Here on my T42, the IBM mouse driver works better then Amouse. The T42 does have separate mouse buttons, both for the trackpoint and touch-pad with the touch-pad disabled in BIOS.

Looks like the default ArcaOs install is the AMouse driver. I'll switch it out and see what kind of difference that makes.

Yeah, I really like the separate buttons on the T4x/T6x series. Don't really like the feel and tactile feedback for the mouse or keyboard on the T540P. I understand its probably cheaper, but I like the old thinkpad keyboards over the ones in the T430/T540 series.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:55 pm »
Yeah, I really like the separate buttons on the T4x/T6x series. Don't really like the feel and tactile feedback for the mouse or keyboard on the T540P. I understand its probably cheaper, but I like the old thinkpad keyboards over the ones in the T430/T540 series.

I have a T43, aT510, and a L530. They are quite different, even though they look like twins (except for the width). The T510 has the old style touchpad setup, like the T43 has, and both have a setting in the BIOS to turn off that #$%^ touchpad (whoever invented that, should be shot). Each has a separate set of buttons for the touchpad, that are disabled when the touchpad is disabled in BIOS. The other set of buttons still work (don't know why they have two sets, within a short distance of each other). The L530 has a new style keyboard (which I like), and a new touchpad. It looks the same as the T510, but there is no BIOS setting to turn it off (again, somebody should be shot). A stiff piece of cardboard, taped over the touchpad (including the buttons), makes the machine usable. In all cases, I use a wireless USB mouse, and they work properly, with AMouse.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 11:09:52 pm »
I didn't disable the touchpad on my T540p, and I don't see the mouse jumping around. I'm also using AMouse.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 03:33:11 am »
I didn't disable the touchpad on my T540p, and I don't see the mouse jumping around.

The touchpad probably works okay, after you learn to keep you hands off of it, while doing other things. Personally, I hate those things, because I am always getting some part of one hand, or the other, onto the touchpad, which makes it do unpredictable things (like jump around), while I am trying to do something like type. My preference is to disable them, when possible, so I can get on with life.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 05:21:04 am »
My ThinkPad E440 often moves to the top of the screen again even if the mouse pointer moves to the top of the screen without permission and moves it to another place :'(
This applies to both AMouse and IBM Mouse.sys.