Author Topic: Secure ftp server?  (Read 8749 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Secure ftp server?
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:16:55 pm »
Is there a secure ftp server for eCS? I'm currently using Peter Moylan's ftp server but this does not support login with SSL / TSL. AFAIK with usual ftp the password is transmitted as plain text. What do you use when you want to access files on your server from outside?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Secure ftp server?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:44:56 am »
Is there a secure ftp server for eCS? I'm currently using Peter Moylan's ftp server but this does not support login with SSL / TSL. AFAIK with usual ftp the password is transmitted as plain text. What do you use when you want to access files on your server from outside?

You can use STunnel to add secure connections. The docs are reasonably good, and it works well.

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/stunnel-4.52-shl-20120515.zip

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »
On stunnel.org I found -

Stunnel cannot be used for the FTP daemon because of the nature of the FTP protocol which utilizes multiple ports for data transfers. There are SSL aware FTP servers available.

Alternatively you could use a different protocol. All versions of SSH include a program called scp which works like rcp. Recent versions of OpenSSH include a program called sftp which has an ftp-like feel.

So I still do not see how I to access files on my server secure from remote.

I looked at the OpenSSH package which includes a sftp server. Maybe that's the way to go. It it's so simple to check 'SSL/TLS' box in TotalCommander but no clue if this is doable with stunnel or openssh.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »
I will admit, that I never tried STunnel with Peter's FTP server.

RSync should work with STunnel, but I haven't tried that either.

There is Open Private Network: ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/unixos2/openvpn.zip, which I have been meaning to check out, but I haven't done it yet. The package doesn't seem to have any documentation in it, other than what is displayed when you try to run it.

Another option, which is probably easier, is to simply copy your files to a USB thumb drive, and carry that with you.

but no clue if this is doable with stunnel or openssh.

Probably the easy way to find out, is to try it.