Author Topic: Anyone know of an IDE CD driver for OS2 2.1?  (Read 5545 times)

David Hart

• View Profile
Anyone know of an IDE CD driver for OS2 2.1?
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:55:49 am »
I have a collection of many operating systems running on Virtual Box and I recently created a VM with OS2 2.1 but there appears to be no IDE CD driver.  I checked Hobbes and found something that said OS2 V2 located at (/pub/os2/system/drivers/storage/ibmide12062003.zip) so I will check this out but wondered if anyone knows of an IDE CD driver?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know of an IDE CD driver for OS2 2.1?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:07:50 am »
Seems you found the official package which should work to update v2.1's IDE stack (for large drive support and such) as well as support IDE CD's and even DVD's formatted as a CD. I can't remember if you also need the CDFS.IFS to read CD's but probably not as v2.1 did support some CD players. Probably good to update as well
I'm not sure if you have to manually add the drivers to config.sys, but if you do, ask.
Generally most device drivers are compatible with OS/2 2.0+ though they might need unpacking with lxlite as Warp V3 introduced more efficient program compression.

You can also replace various parts of the IBM stack with Dani's, available in the same directory at Hobbes. I'd advise starting out with the official IBM stuff to keep it simple.

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 05:19:59 pm »
I have a collection of many operating systems running on Virtual Box and I recently created a VM with OS2 2.1 but there appears to be no IDE CD driver.  I checked Hobbes and found something that said OS2 V2 located at (/pub/os2/system/drivers/storage/ibmide12062003.zip) so I will check this out but wondered if anyone knows of an IDE CD driver?
The drivers from this archive will not work with OS/2 2.1 unless you want to see a TRAP screen. There's no reason to mess with IDE if you change your VM's storage devices to SCSI (Buslogic adapter type) everything should work out of the box.

If you really want to play with IDE or ATAPI get the latest fixpack for OS/2 2.11 or an earlier Warp 3 fixpak (XR_W017) and extract the needed files (IBM1S506.ADD, IBMIDECD.FLT).

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:16:23 am »
Matching drivers attached