Author Topic: Turning Off Monitor (DPMS) with Panorama  (Read 8100 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Turning Off Monitor (DPMS) with Panorama
« on: January 26, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »
Hi

Do you guys know if there is a way for the screensaver to turn off the screen automatically on a laptop with a Panorama video driver on it?
I'm using ArcaOS 5.0.3 / Panorama  1.11 / Thinkpad L420 with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:59:59 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Turning Off Monitor (DPMS) with Panorama
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:21:29 pm »
Just discussing similar elsewhere. No, there doesn't seem to be.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:31:33 pm »
Panorama does no power control. In this case, you probably need to figure out how to control the screen power with ACPI.

FWIW, SNAP does not support screen power control on my T510, or my L530 either.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:15 pm »
FWIW, SNAP does not support screen power control on my T510, or my L530 either.

Wonder if laptop monitors just don't have DPMS?
Testing on my T42, seems to be yes and no.
Using the stock ATI licensed SNAP with eCS 2.2B2, there is no DPMS service available on the advanced full screen thingy and the screensaver has them all blanked out. Only supports a few 4:3 resolutions too, even when plugged into a wide screen monitor, up to 1280x1024 IIRC.
Testing with a recent ArcaOS beta and ArcaNoae SNAP, the answer is sorta yes, screensaver shows all choices available, advanced full screen thingy also shows them all available but standby and Off both just seem to blank the screen and suspend does nothing. Way more resolutions available too. Wide screen resolutions seem to revert to the closest 4:3 resolution using the built in monitor, plugging into a wide screen monitor, wide screen resolutions revert to VGA (640x480). 4:3 seem to work with the monitor bitching if trying to display beyond its capabilities. The builtin monitor works right up to 2048x1536 but only displays part of the desktop with that part moving with the mouse.
One nice thing is that on the wide screen monitor, the image shows at 4:3 with black bars on either side, much better then stretched.

Edit, forgot to mention that using APM, FN+F3 turns the monitor off and Fn turns it back on
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:12:49 pm by Dave Yeo »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:46 pm »
Wonder if laptop monitors just don't have DPMS?

I would bet that most of them don't. They are pretty basic devices, from what I have seen. There is, obviously, a way to power them, because windows does it (probably just turns the backlight off/on). I expect that modern machines use ACPI control. Older ones may still have hardware that might work with SNAP, but I have never seen it work on any of my laptops. The only one, that I have, that actually turns off the lamp, is my antique IBM ThinkPad A22e, and it is done by BIOS, not the loaded software. That is a bit of a problem, because I must use the built in keyboard, or the stickmouse, to get it back on. External devices are just ignored.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:42 pm »
Alfredo just added a report to the Arca Noae bug tracker: Laptop screens are not turned off automatically.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 11:27:17 pm »
Thanks for the enlightening replies.

I understand now that Panorama is not the one to blame for not turning off the monitor, since as David Azawerics says (on the Arca Noae test mailing list), it should not be part of the video driver since it is a power management feature for the display.

From what Doug replies, it seems that DPMS is not available on modern laptops and seems that ACPI manages the "shutting down of the display".  Was DPMS deprecated or it just not used anymore ?

Do you think that by using the ACPI driver and creating an application using the ACPI toolkit can it be possible to create a software that can turn off the display?
Did anybody knows any documentation or "the standard" name of that display feature (to turn it off) ?

Regards
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:29:51 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 04:43:21 am »
Do you think that by using the ACPI driver and creating an application using the ACPI toolkit can it be possible to create a software that can turn off the display?

It should be possible, if somebody can figure it out. You may be able to find some examples in the Linux world.

In fact, it is not as important to turn off modern screens, since they all use LED back lights which don't use a lot of power. A screen saver is only slightly more important, but is mostly to keep prying eyes from reading the screen. It was a very different world, 25 years ago, when screens would "burn in", and used a lot of power.

Was DPMS deprecated or it just not used anymore ?

I am not sure if DPMS was ever used in laptops. I never saw any evidence that it was, in any of the laptops that I ever had. There may be some that do have it.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
There may be more than one way to switch off displays. At least for desktop systems (external monitor) there's an easy one. For my package of the black utility I write to the PCI registers of the ATI graphic card to disable primary and secondary output. After that the connected monitor decides to go into power down as there is no graphic signal available on any input any more. With other graphic adapters it is enough to write to the proper VGA registers. Older graphic card bioses seem emulate the VGA registers well enough to do the job. But not the ATI X300 and up.

With notebooks usually there is no such electronic which looks at input video signal. Guess you have to find the register(s) which switches the backlight converter on/off. No clue if this is standardized in ACPI or any other standard.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »
Hi there,
just for the records: My x61 supports switching off the screen by dpms. I have ARCAOS installed using SNAP. Screensaver enabled, using DPMS Off State after 1 min of saving.

Holger

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 06:41:10 pm »
Hi Holger, does it also turn off the backlight? What graphics adapter does it have and does Snap support it?

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 12:08:17 am »
Hi Dave

Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller.

Concerning Snap: As mentioned I installed ArcaOS using Snap and it worked out of the box, atleast sufficient for me, but I suppose in Vesa Mode. I tried Panorama once, but for me there was no difference in performance and dpms does not work with panorama.

Systemsetup->Screen-> shows Snap->Chip Type Vesa VBE 3.0
Monitor: Unknown

On page 2 of Systemsetup-Screen->Monitor I have DPMS enabled and on Screensaver page 2, as mentioned, Use DPMS Off State.
It seems to turn off the backlight: As Screensaver Module I chose Blank Screen, so when saving starts the screen is blackened but still shows a glare. After a minute, as scheduled, the screen is turned of and is truely 'black'.

Holger

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:21 am »
OK, good to know that at least some laptops support turning off the backlight even using the VBE driver using DPMS.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 03:35:44 pm »
Hi

I was just reading some sourced to understand better DPMS.
Source 1: https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Battery-Powered/displaytypes.html
DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling) is a standard to reduce power consumption in monitors.
- Normal: Normal means just that...
- Standby: Standby is used to describe a very minor power savings level. This setting usually involves blanking the screen by turning off the electron (RGB) gun...
- Suspend: Suspend is used to describe a very strong low power state. This setting usually involves the same power conservation as Standby however in addition the power supply to the monitor is turned off...
- Off: Off usually means just that -- the computer monitor is turned off. ...

I'm also checking the "ENERGY STARĀ® Power Management Features", but it looks more like a time standard (or settings standard) for a monitor to sleep, poweroff, hdd to stop, etc. We can say for sure that OS/2 and ArcaOS does not comply to the ENERGY STARĀ® Power Management Features standard  :D

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster