Author Topic: PRINTER SETUP - looking for a colour device with 1200 dpi support  (Read 4053 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my ePDF printing to support a higher dpi colour output. I have been using my Brother HL-5470DW printer as the device driver for my ePDF printer object. This, for those of you who might not know, allows you to do an easy PDF print. Basically, from any application which does not support native PDF creation you simply send the print job to your ePDF printer, which in turn passes it through the PSMON service and onto the ePDFutility.

This has been working here very well, but recently I needed to preserve the colour on a couple of image to PDF conversions and since my Brother printer is a black&white laser this driver simply won't do. I installed the recommended "Apple Color Laserwriter 12/600PS" (from the PostScript package) driver, as per the ePDF readme, however that maxes out at 600 dpi. Subsequently the PDF output quality suffers a bit.

Therefore, I'm curious what other printer devices, that exist in the standard IBM PostScript driver pack, are capable of 1200 dpi in colour?

I know the ePDF folks released a test ePDF driver, available as an updated IBM driver pack. My only problem with installing it is that it would overwrite my Brother HL-5470 DW driver which I had manually adjusted to take advantage of printer features that were not supported in the out-of-the-box IBM drivers. Since that is my primary printer I am hesitant to make any changes here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Dariusz

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: PRINTER SETUP - looking for a colour device with 1200 dpi support
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:23:00 pm »
You can use the "Generic Postscript (Enhanced)" driver in PSPRINT.DRV (if you have it).  That supports up to 2400 dpi resolutions.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: PRINTER SETUP - looking for a colour device with 1200 dpi support
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:21:47 am »
Hi Alex,

You can use the "Generic Postscript (Enhanced)" driver in PSPRINT.DRV (if you have it).  That supports up to 2400 dpi resolutions.

Awesome...will give it a go next. Thanks...and sorry for the late response, was away on business this week.

-Dariusz