Author Topic: Recovering XDF Disks from Flux Images?  (Read 14194 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Recovering XDF Disks from Flux Images?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 05:44:29 pm »
Hi

Thanks for your efforts on preserving this edition.
It boots from disk 0 and disk 1 and it is Warp 3 release 8.162.

I'm trying it on VirtualBox 6.0.4. I'm getting this error when I try the advanced installation just after I mount "disk 2".
(Check attachment). I don't know if someone else experience the same error.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

tech

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:20 pm »
Each VM I've tested (Parallels, VMWare and VirtualBox) results in a different error. This means that these VMs are not compatible with this version of OS/2!

I tried installing the system on an old computer. The installation went normally until the end of diskette 4. It seems there is a bad sector at the position of "IBMNULL.DRV" file.

The installation program gives these options to deal with the error, but choosing "ignore" causes a freeze!

I'll try to write diskette 4 of the images I made earlier and see.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:08:17 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 04:05:37 pm »
Hi Tech.

You can also try with a "Disk 4" from other language (english) and see if it lets you pass, later you can see if all "crash and burns" or if the trick works.

For the moment I'm checking why today I can not install Warp 3 on VirtualBox. On the past I used to install Warp 3 with the diskettes images and now I'm getting that error, even with the english language diskettes. Maybe something changed on the latest version of VirtualBox, or it is a settings thing.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

tech

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 10:45:48 pm »
As I mentioned earlier, disk #4 has bad sectors. The program “xdfcopy” couldn’t make an image for it. What I did was to copy the files of the disk then use WinImage to make a custome image with the extracted files. It turns out the image I made was not XDF complaint and the “xdfcopy” couldn’t write it to a blank diskette.

I hope someone can download “4.img” from the archive.org link, extract the files from it (using winimage), make an xdf image of those files and upload the image. I’ll then download the image, write it to a disk (using xdfcopy) and complete the system installation.

Thank you