Author Topic: Installing ArcaOS on a GPT formatted disk  (Read 10879 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: Installing ArcaOS on a GPT formatted disk
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 01:32:31 am »
Update:

Gave up trying to rescue the old windoze 7. Took way too long to save the image to another disk. The disk in the 'new' machine also had a partition that extended beyond cylinder boundaries and the disk tool in arca couldn't correct it. So I just wiped everything with dfsee and proceeded with installing arcaos. This went well. I expected problems because the thing has UEFI and no options to set a bios compatibility mode. Seems to do that automagically though. Everything seems to work, USB (mainboard has both 2 and 3 hardware), network, sound not tested yet. Video is intel and panorama only gave me 640x480. Easily cured by inserting an ATI Radeon X850. Reinstalled windoze, and it's doing the endless updates. One strange thing, the second disk in the machine, gpt and not touched, is no longer visible in win gui. Win fdisk shows it, ntfs formatted, no driveletter and tells me it emty, which it isn't....

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: Installing ArcaOS on a GPT formatted disk
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 03:29:02 am »
And another update. Had everything installed and working, apart from the second GPT disk. Dfsee showed me it was no longer GPT but MBR... Win must have touched it without informing me.. Used dfsee in win to wipe it, rebooted, and nothing( System didn't boot anymore, Aos would boot from stick and show no disks. Tried puppy linux dfsee again, this did boot now and shows te disks all zerod. No partitions, no mbr. Something happened that should not have and i'm quite sure I didn't do it. I did select the right partition/disk. Ah well, start all over in a few days, Ordered a 1 Tb ssd. They are becoming affordable, Currently have about 3 tb of data. Have a small 2 tb nas that only accomodates one disk. Currently I can't back up all that data, lack of storage. The nas is also a mediaserver and I have not found a good os/2 solution for that yet. Thinking about a nas with at least 2 bays, 4 tb storage, a pc with 6, so it can keep backups. I know that is not the best backup stratagy, but critical data is much less and gets backed up on usb disks. It's just still a tad too expensive to go all ssd, But it's quiet)