These are the SDL games I checked to have some issues:
- 2 Pong       0.6      SDL / SDD   GNU GPL      *** Require SDD
- Amoebax   0.2.1   SDL              GNU GPL      *** Old SDL12.DLL
- Barrage            SDL / SDD   GNU GPL      *** SDD dependency
- Dave Gnukem   0.56      SDL / SDD   GNU GPL             *** Requires SDD
- Fish Fillet   1.0.1      SDL              GNU GPL      *** No run
- Lopan      0.9      SDL / SSD           GNU GPL      *** Require SDD
- Marryampic2   0.6      SDL / SDD   GNU GPL      *** Requires SDD
- Primate Plunge      SDL              Freeware           *** OLD SDL12.DLL / Hangs
- QNetWalk   1.4      SDL /KSDL12.DLL GNU GPL   *** OLD SDL12.DLL
- Rocks n Diamonds   3.2.4 SDL              GNU GPL      *** Can not load Joystick

If someone wants to test these with the latest SDL and make those works without the SNAP driver, please let me know.
For the moment these ones looks like good candidates to be recompiled with the latest SDL.

Regards

Dave Yeo:
Hi Martin,
I probably have the environment to rebuild these and am willing given the spare time.
Questions,
What do you mean by the latest SDL? The RPM version is missing some of its supporting DLLs. Need at least sdlgfx.dll, sdlimg.dll sdlmix.dll, sdlnet.dll and sdlttf.dll (names might vary, eg sdl_gfx.dll). I'm also unsure if the RPM version was built with OpenWatcom or GCC, or if it matters. I guess the source is available to look at :)
There is also SDL2 along with corresponding versions of the above DLLs. As SDL is depreciated, perhaps if simple, we should be using SDL2?
There's also the problem of missing source code. I looked at the source of Lopan IIRC, it needed more then simply recompiling, including decisions which way to port, the Windows way or the Linux way. Where to keep configuration files, high scores and such.
Others such as Rocks'n'Diamonds should just need a small makefile patch (it was the first thing I ever ported, X11 version), but might as well as update to the latest source. Rocks'n'Diamonds is a good example of a game that really needs the joystick to play.
Now there's the question of whether to link against libc+libcx or lbcn.

Dave Yeo:
More complications. I looked at https://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/ and wonder how much of the new stuff can be simply supported? eg Drag'n'Drop. Might be stuck on older versions.

Martin Iturbide:
First of all, thanks for the help Dave.

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on February 24, 2019, 06:14:27 am ---What do you mean by the latest SDL?

--- End quote ---
I mean using SDL-1.2.15-20160303.zip  and/or SDL2-2.0.4-20160225.zip, without mixing older/other version of the SDL runtimes to run an specific game. I want to aim to have one version (latest ones not older) of SDL libraries installed on the system.

At the moment I'm ignoring the SDL runtimes files on the rpm repository.

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on February 24, 2019, 06:14:27 am ---There is also SDL2 along with corresponding versions of the above DLLs. As SDL is depreciated, perhaps if simple, we should be using SDL2?

--- End quote ---
If that can be possible without big efforts on changing the game source, it would be great !!

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on February 24, 2019, 06:14:27 am ---Now there's the question of whether to link against libc+libcx or lbcn.

--- End quote ---
I would go with the rule, which is the latest one first (as version release), and later which one works.
It looks to me that Bitwise is going to put more efforts on "LIBCn" from now on, I would vote for LIBCn. Am I understanding this announcement right? . Are the libcn runtimes available on the rpm server? In case that LIBCn is not working to run the game, then we use the older one :)

Dave, if you succeed compiling some of those games, please let me know if you can put the source code somewhere (like github). I'm even having a hard time finding the original source code of some of these open source games. I'm trying to put that source code here (it is not OS/2 source code it is the original one)

Regards

Dave Yeo:
Here's 2Pong. I pushed the changes to Github. Mostly I fixed warnings and added some OS/2 specific LDFLAGS (-Zomf and -Zbin-files). The LDFLAGS would need commenting out on other platforms
Lightly tested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version