Author Topic: OS/2 - ArcaOS - Native Games  (Read 48335 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 - ArcaOS - Native Games
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 06:26:59 pm »
It is, sorry. I'll rebuild it later with a relative path.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 03:03:34 am »
Hi

I'm trying to run Drilling Billy on OS/2, the native version (os2billy.exe), under an OS/2 full screen session, and I'm getting this error.
Vesa ikke initialiseret.fatalfejl
engine.exit without initCEngine::exit() completed succesfully.

Here is the source:
http://drillingbilly.com/1997/uk/os2info.htm

Any tip or idea is welcome.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:15 am »
Try doing SET VESADLL=VESA_IBM or SET VESADLL=VESA_ALL in your full screen session before running os2billy. Can also try vesatest.exe
Still doesn't quite work here. Vesa.txt includes instructions to patch your video bios if you're really adventurous.
PS Running "markexe NOTWINDOWCOMPAT os2billy.exe" will force it to open a full screen session.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 04:17:09 pm »
Hi

Just in case I created the "ONE HUGE FILE OF WARP GAMES", where I put all the OS/2 native games (open source, shareware, freeware) I was able to get and organize them alphabetically. It is a 1.33GB size file, it may not make sense, but nothing makes sense these days :) 

Not everything is working, and it may not be complete, some icons are missing, maybe there are thing that you will not like, but feedback is welcome to improving it.

Check:
https://archive.org/details/OHFOWG

Regards
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:23:50 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 05:39:52 pm »
Hi

I think it is finally time to upload the OS/2 games source code to github. I don't known why I saved that for last.
- OS/2 native games and source code ported to OS/2 are being to be uploaded to: OS2World Github
- OSS Games that I was able to find the source code, but not the OS/2 changes to: OSSGames Github

The idea of OSSGames Github is just to try not to lost the source code of some games that had been ported to OS/2. The porter never share the OS/2 part of it, and I also want to see if I can organize myself to try to port a game myself.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 11:43:44 am »
Hi Martin,

You need to check that zip because here all I get is an error message, see attachment.  Also last night the torrent didn't work.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 01:30:41 pm »
Hi Ivan.

Thanks for giving it a try. I did a test on a different machine (windows) and tried the torrent  from Internet archive (with Bittorrent tool),  downloaded the file, open it with PeaZip (it took some time) and I was able to see the files and even open the readme to test. This quick test worked for me. But I will need to keep polishing the file, I found some games I was missing.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:52:30 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 06:14:15 pm »
Hi

I found this pascal source code, I'm not sure if it is complete, or if it belong or not to a game called MasterMind for OS/2.
Can someome please take a look at it?

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

xynixme

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 06:53:51 pm »
Alright, but only because I'm some ome.

The Sibyl-files are somehow related to a Mastermind for OS/2, but the *.SPR files seems to be nothing but a project/"container" file or makefile. A project file of an IDE.

Dependency36's file seems to be missing. So does any meaningful PASCAL code in the *.PAS files.

I don't have Sibyl, so I don't know if it will understand U_about.pas' "{Private Deklarationen hier einfügen}" (German, "Private declarations here insert", i.e. insert private declarations here). Regardless of that, at least of of the missing and possibly most important source code file may be MAIN1.PAS.

You may have received a copy of a project directory, but not of a directory of e.g. MAIN1.PAS.
Like receiving a back-up of Sibyl's C:\Projects (C:\Projects\SibylProjects\HelloWorld.SPR), but not of the file C:\HelloWorld.PAS of that Sibyl project.

If you are lucky, then your source has got a back-up of all missing non-Sibyl source files, like MAIN1.PAS.

There is a German Mastermind/2. If this is supposed to be that Mastermind/2, then you may also be missing e.g. the IPF source file of the *.HLP files (possibly 2, German and English).

Either way you can open and "study" the *.SPR text file, to see what's mnissing for sure. I assume it's a Win-OS/2 INI-style Sibyl IDE project file.

xynixme

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 07:00:34 pm »
It is not perfect, but I can say not it is decent.
O, it's better than you suggest it is. All of mine are missing...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 07:45:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply André.

So, it is incomplete and useless, right?

Just in case, I'm almost sure that is it not from the MasterMind/2 (Rene Auberger), on his archived website, he used to share the source code but it was C. I'm still trying to get those files.  (mmind14-source.zip, ../r.auberger/v14/main-c.zip)

I also found "Master Mind for the OS/2 2.x Presentation Manager" by Peter Wansch, but I'm not sure is also from that.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

xynixme

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 08:22:42 pm »
So, it is incomplete and useless, right?

I also found "Master Mind for the OS/2 2.x Presentation Manager" by Peter Wansch, but I'm not sure is also from that.
Strictly it's useless because it's incomplete. Nevertheless the SPR file shows which files are missing, so it's only useless if we cannot obtain those specific missing files anymore.

Later stand-alone games of Wansch became a component of the Entertainment Pack for OS/2.

"ProjectName=E:\PROGRAMIEREN\PROJEKTE\MasterMind\Mastermind.spr" indicates that the author speaks German. The previous quite could have been inserted by any German programmer (e.g. some template of Sibyl itself), but the user has created the subdirectories "PROGRAMMING" and "PROJECTS".

As such Wansch qulaifies as a canddate. There's a Vienna and Austria in his MASTER.EXE (indeed Master Mind, with a space).

If you have an EXE produced with Sibyl, then you could try to open that Sibyl EXE and Wansch's MASTER.EXE with E.EXE or a hex editor to check if the "fingerprint" is about the same. Typically readable text, and where it can be found. MASTER.EXE doesn't contain "sibyl", but e.g. a lxlited pathetic game written by me contains the text "SETUPARG.ASM". That text me be specific for IBM VAC. An extreme positive sample is opening the EXE of Tablica/2 version 1.20 with E.EXE, and next guess the programming language and what the source code was. If I open a FIREFOX.EXE with a hex editor, then page 1 shows a clue ("OS/2 executable
module built for kLIBC v0.6.4+") which indicates that FIREFOX.EXE wasn't produced by a Sibyl compiler.

Please note that a non-negative possible Sibyl footprint of MASTER.EXE doesn't imply that Wansch is the German speaking author of your project files. It just is more likely if Wansch used Sibyl (too). But his final product (now) has that possibly different name, "Master Mind".

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 11:54:49 pm »
Hi

I'm still working to upload all the native games source code at Github. I'm on the letter "s", so I hope to finish soon. 

Hopefully after that I will work on some "compiling my first SDL game" article.... if I can pull that off.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 02:35:28 am »
Hi

Please, can it be possible for someone to recompile XRick without the SDDHELP$ dependecy? (it requires SDL).
Here it is the source code: http://www.bigorno.net/xrick/download.html

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2021, 07:23:55 am »
It builds easy but crashes I believe while initializing the video.
To build, make sure MAKESHELL=sh.exe is in your environment.
Edit the parent makefile in the root directory by adding
Code: [Select]
-Zomf -lcx -Zmap -Zbin-files
to the echo LDFLAGS line at 76, then do make
Should build and leave a xrick.exe in the root directory. Look at the trp report. Make sure the sdl dbg packages are installed as well as the devel ones.
xrick --help does work.
You can edit include/config.h to turn on debugging, change the line #undef DEBUG to #define DEBUG and it will print some stuff.
Do a make clean before rebuilding.
Here's my binary with debugging on and sound disabled.