OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Games

OS/2 - ArcaOS - Native Games

<< < (9/10) > >>

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Lars on July 28, 2021, 06:11:09 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on July 28, 2021, 05:39:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jochen Schäfer on July 28, 2021, 11:50:09 am ---But in BWWs version, I fixed an init error in the display structures, which should be applied to Digis version, if not already done.

--- End quote ---

I didn't find your fix.

--- End quote ---

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/SDL2-os2/commit/f5057a506716d15c405a545403b316e807d7069e

--- End quote ---

Thanks, guess I'll try to build it.

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on July 28, 2021, 10:55:08 pm ---Hi

I have a noob question about SDL development. For games that had been developed with SDL 1x, is it possible to recompile those with SDL 2.x? or all the game code (like functions calls, etc) will need to be changed to use the SDL 2.x instead?

--- End quote ---

Quickly looking, it seems the video handling has changed, things like no more full screen, rather a large window, perhaps with no menu etc. And the keyboard input also has changed, might mostly affect Unicode, along with changes in the event queue. Seems a lot of games are focused on the hardware rendering.
This is the page I read, https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/86368-sdl-1x-vs-sdl-2/

Dave Yeo:
Has anyone looked at how hard it would be to add USB Joystick support to SDL? I know next to nothing about it except a little experience with old style joysticks.
Seems basic support would be 2 axis and 2 button support, for many games even joypad support where a couple of buttons and the axis is basically binary or trinary, would be nice.
I ask because I recently revisited Rocks'N'Diamonds (our SDL mixer needs mod support), which reminded me how much more fun it was to play with a joypad rather then the keyboard.

Paul Smedley:
Hi Dave,
--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on July 29, 2021, 02:01:25 am ---Has anyone looked at how hard it would be to add USB Joystick support to SDL? I know next to nothing about it except a little experience with old style joysticks.
Seems basic support would be 2 axis and 2 button support, for many games even joypad support where a couple of buttons and the axis is basically binary or trinary, would be nice.
I ask because I recently revisited Rocks'N'Diamonds (our SDL mixer needs mod support), which reminded me how much more fun it was to play with a joypad rather then the keyboard.

--- End quote ---

I haven't looked into it at all, but I'd assume any support would use libusb (which we have) so surely it wouldn't be that difficult.

Cheers,

Paul.

Jochen Schäfer:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on July 29, 2021, 02:01:25 am ---Has anyone looked at how hard it would be to add USB Joystick support to SDL? I know next to nothing about it except a little experience with old style joysticks.

--- End quote ---
I have thought about it, and it is on my bucket list. The linux drivers use the hidapi library (it is even part of SDL2). I was thinking about using that code for OS/2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version