Author Topic: WiFiBlast  (Read 10517 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
WiFiBlast
« on: March 06, 2019, 01:57:10 pm »
I found this piece of hardware.

https://buywifiblast.com/

It is cheap (approx $35) and has enabled me to use my wireless on my notebook. under ArcaOS.  Can be used as a network adaptor.   Wherever I plug my notebook in, i also plug in the WiFiBlast and then plug a short ethernet cord from it to my notebook,  instead of running 30 feet of ethernet cord.   I set it up under Windows.  It has been working great. 

Note:  the ethernet cable is only around a 1-1/2 foot long.  You may have to replace with a longer cable.  The wireless  initially has to be set up under windows.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:00:34 pm by David Graser »

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: WiFiBlast
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:21:35 pm »
I found this piece of hardware.

https://buywifiblast.com/

It is cheap (approx $35) and has enabled me to use my wireless on my notebook. under ArcaOS.  Can be used as a network adaptor.   Wherever I plug my notebook in, i also plug in the WiFiBlast and then plug a short ethernet cord from it to my notebook,  instead of running 30 feet of ethernet cord.   I set it up under Windows.  It has been working great. 

Note:  the ethernet cable is only around a 1-1/2 foot long.  You may have to replace with a longer cable.  The wireless  initially has to be set up under windows.

The cheap Chinese ones you find on Ebay also work fine for the most part and a number of them allow you to configure them via a browser

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:17:45 pm »
I get the impression that that range extender needs to be powered from the mains which makes it useless if you are out and about.

I use a Tp-Link AC750 WiFi Travel Router that can be powered either from a mains phone chatger or directly from a USB socket. It is small and can be attached to the back of the laptop screen using velcro The setup is via a web browser.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:41:47 am »
I've documented a few WiFi travel routers here

http://www.blondeguy.com/TravelRouters.html

My favorite so far is the same as Ivan, the TP LInk AC 750.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:44:16 pm »
I get the impression that that range extender needs to be powered from the mains which makes it useless if you are out and about.

I use a Tp-Link AC750 WiFi Travel Router that can be powered either from a mains phone chatger or directly from a USB socket. It is small and can be attached to the back of the laptop screen using velcro The setup is via a web browser.

I am using the range extender at home since it uses strickly a house plug in.

I have ordered the Tp-Link AC750 and am going to try to set it up at work since it is more portable.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 10:28:56 pm »
Hi David,

It is very simple to setup- essentially all you have to do is logon to the the wireless network and away you go.

I have attached a scan of the section of the QIG that I used for initial setup, after that if the wireless network changes it is just a matter of a few clicks in the browser and maybe typing in the network password.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 11:48:47 pm »
The Tp-Link AC750 works great.  I can now tie into the wireless network at work.  With both you and Neil's instructions, it was easy to set up and like you both said, it can be done with the OS/2 version web browsers.  Having both setups, the Tp-Link ac750 is the way to go if one is wanting to use wireless with ArcaOS and the other OS/2 versions.  Thanks to all for the recommendation and help.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:25 pm »
I got a TP-Link AC750 and it works great. Only $39 on Amazon.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:52 pm »
I have found one small issue that is easily worked around with the TP-Link AC750.

I have it in my locker at work and take it out to use with my laptop which I bring.

When I boot up to ArcaOS and then try to access the internet, it can't find it. 

The work around is to log on to the setup page.  Once I do that and then try to access the internet, everything works as it should.  Work requires a username and password and this login page comes up after I have logged on to the TP-Link setup page.  Other than this it works great.  Easy work around.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 02:39:28 pm »
I find the AC750 and the others on my Travel Routers web page all fail on captive portals. Captive portals are mostly obsolete, but there are still quite a few of them operating.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:02 pm »
David,

What you are seeing is to be expected when you log on to a secure network - you have to have somewhere to fill in that information and as far as your laptop is concerned you are on an Ethernet connection where you log in via a web page.