WebSite Information > Article Discussions

Arca Noae progress report: ArcaOS on UEFI-only hardware

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
I second Martin's comments and concur that it is exciting to see the level of concerted effort to keep things not just alive, but improving on our platform.

At the same time I do not want to overlook the contributions that have been made over the years by other projects & contributors, without them I am not sure that AN could have ever been "born".

Keeping my fingers crossed, and contributing here and there with some testing, feedback and monetary contributions. I do genuinely wish there was an easier way for inviduals like myself to contribute more meaningfully though.

Doug Bissett:
I am confident that USB 3 will appear, (to quote Lewis) "soonish". ("Soonish" being a technical term for "someday"  ;D)

The biggest problem is that the guy who is doing it, also has a dozen (perhaps more) other "important" projects under development, and they still haven't found a way to work 24 hours a day, while remaining productive (or even sane) over the long term.

It is coming, but it all takes time to get it right.

Lars:
The nail in the coffin for OS/2 will neither be UEFI nor USB 3.
It will be the lack of an internet browser.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Lars on March 27, 2019, 09:03:43 am ---The nail in the coffin for OS/2 will neither be UEFI nor USB 3.
It will be the lack of an internet browser.

--- End quote ---

That is what the OS/2 community is trying to resolve by porting the latest QT to OS/2. That way we can port Chromium to OS/2. The fact the QT port is done for 70% brings that within a realistic reach!

Roderick

Sigurd Fastenrath:
The reason why I almost left the plattform behind me in personal is that I realize during the last months this:

There are three parties left:

1.) ArcaNoae: making the OS and drivers, pushing things forward, has to make/earn money. Delivering excellent software. On the other hand (as a result of "the money"): focussed on industrial clients and their needs. Keeping things "closed". Lower priority for software vendors, lowest priority is the community. Taking not part in Forums where the community is (for various reasons, but I never understood the "No Time" Reason, as it may take only a few minutes a day or even once a week to monitor what is happening there).

2.) Bitwise Works, other free developers: trying to keep the software alive (internet browser, office, ...), user oriented, benefits to both, Arca Noae and the community

3.) The community, or what is left of it. Has lowest priority for ArcaNoae as the money is to be earned in the industrial sector.

That is just my personal statement and point of view. And it is not complaining, even if it might sound like this. Sometimes I wish I could express myself here in my mothertongue, Deutsch, but for obvious reasons that would make not much sense, even though I could "besser schreiben und ausdrücken, was ich wirklich meine" and therefore avoid misunderstanding.

Yes, I know, that is nothing new for the almost all of you, and it does not matter at all. Even if there will be UEFI, NVMe support, this all will benefit industrial clients and the community users or privat users as well, but everything else wich would benefit the privat users more than industrial clients is not in sight. WLAN i.e. Better Sound.

So ArcaNoae will for sure move on, and will bring fantastic new functions to OS/2, but it will stay focused on industrial clients, and those usually do not need WLAN or Sound or...

So, there is no reason for me other than monitoring the development. Expecting this or that feature or driver in the near future is just - dreaming. And I invested already to much money in that dreaming. It was time to wake up.

I made excellent expierences with OS/2 (from Warp 3 on) inside VMWARE PRO, only the missing - or better not working - sound support is a showstopper right now. But I may get a solution for this.

I am looking forward to the OS/2 User meeting in Cologne in November together with Thomas Müller. Would be nice to see a German Version of ArcaNoae 5.1 then though. All the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version