Author Topic: OS/2 4.52 to VirtualBox networking  (Read 8488 times)

RickCHodgin

OS/2 4.52 to VirtualBox networking
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:59:14 pm »
I'm currently using a very clunky methodology to get files into my OS/2 guest running in VirtualBox.  What do I need to do to get my OS/2 new install setup to access Windows networks, or see my host machine's IP address so I can at least setup an FTP server to send/receive files?  I see that VirtualBox offers its own add-ons to allow tighter integration.  Has anyone set these up?  Does this expose local host hard drives as guest network drives as in other OSes?  I've never set it up before.

Has anyone done much sockets-based client/server/peer programming in OS/2?  Is there sample code for that?  Maybe a messenger type program for peer-to-peer chat with a central server login?

UPDATE:  I found this tutorial on EDM/2.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:42:06 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 4.52 to VirtualBox networking
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 11:47:56 pm »
To get files into VBox OS/2 guest, you can use the VBox additions shared folders IFS
I'm currently developing. see https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1905.0.html
for more details. It is not finished, yet, but it works just fine for copying files from/to VBox and
accessing your host disks.

Currently, VBox has only NAT networking option, so you can access the internet and local
network from within the OS/2 guest. Though, I'm not sure if windows shares will work. They
require your OS/2 guest to have the same network mask as your host LAN has. Though, with
NAT networking, guest IP addresses are assigned from 10.2.0.0/24 subnet, which could not
match your LAN's netmask.

Except for NAT networking, there is also TUN/TAP networking. There is a TAP driver for OS/2
writen by Willibald Meyer, who is also GenMac author. This driver was included with the old
VBox 1.6.x port. It seems to have issues with permission to include to newer VBox versions,
so we didn't included it. Also, TAPOs2 support on VBox side is currently broken in OS/2 port
of VBox. So, this feature is not working, currently.

The above applies to OS/2 port of VBox. If you have the OS/2 guest on other host, like
Windows/Linux, then host networking should work, You just need to disable NAT (which is
enabled by default), and enable "Internal network" feature.

If you just want to set up the ftp server on host, then it should work with NAT networking.
Also, copying files with scp/ssh should work too. (If you enter this command from the OS/2
guest. With NAT, you cannot access the guest from the host. For that, you need the "Internal
network" option. It is like "virtual switch" option in VirtualPC.).

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:43:02 pm »
With NAT, you cannot access the guest from the host.

Is this a limitation currently in the OS/2 version that the port forwarding is not working?

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:23:55 pm »
2Andy Willis: I don't know about any port forwarding in VBox NAT. It seems to be missing. At least, it's the 1st time I hear about such a thing.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:39:08 pm »
2Andy Willis: I don't know about any port forwarding in VBox NAT. It seems to be missing. At least, it's the 1st time I hear about such a thing.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#natforward

I've used it in Linux and Windows hosts.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 10:43:31 pm »
2Andy Willis: Hm, interesting. So, it's only accessible with VBoxManage. I did not
noticed any port forwarding settings in Qt GUI. OK, need to look at it, why it's not
working.

PS: Hm, just looked at NAT settings in GUI: indeed, there is a "Port forwarding"
button there. So, I was not right.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:47:24 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 12:08:24 am »
Just tried the port forwarding in OS/2 host. On a WinXP guest, I enabled
the telnet service. It has the address:port 10.0.2.15:23. My OS/2 host
has IP 172.30.0.218. So, I enabled the TCP port forwarding from
172.30.0.218:223 on host to 10.0.2.15:23 on guest. So

telnet -p 223 172.30.0.218

works. I was able to login into the WinXP telnet service, everything
is working fine!

madbrain

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:07:20 am »
Currently, VBox has only NAT networking option, so you can access the internet and local
network from within the OS/2 guest.

Virtualbox also has a bridging option. With the NAT option, you won't be able to see other machines on the LAN, in my experience.
I can mount shares from my Linux box via Samba using Arcamapper. But I get NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED when trying to mount from a Windows 10 host. Probably because the version of SMB ArcaOS supports is not current.