Author Topic: Which NIC to buy?  (Read 5437 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
Which NIC to buy?
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:06:02 am »
I have a computer with a Realtek onboard NIC. The Multimac driver traps. The trap can't be analized because the computer won't produce trap dumps.
So, I'm looking for an add-on PCIe NIC card with a non-Realtek chip that is supported by an OS/2 driver. Checked quite a few online shops but the choice in PCIe is very limited. Most cheap brands do not list the chip used. A high end >200 euro one seems a bit of a waste... Tried a PCI to PCIe adapter with an intel NIC fitted, but the BIOS doesn't even see the NIC, just the adapter. Does anyone know of something that works and is readily available and affordable?

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Which NIC to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 01:33:38 am »
Which Realtek chipset is it?  I ask because there are several realtek drivers as well as the multimac one that you could try.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 04:11:42 pm »
Hi guzzi,

I posted my NIC hardware info in a response to another thread, but for what it's worth I have an older MSI motherboard here with a built-in Realtek chipset, works fine with the original MultiMac drivers as well as the later MMRE, although the MMRE do cause a trap under very high loads.

Code: [Select]
Vendor 10ECh Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
 Device 8168h RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
 Command 0107h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster, System Errors)
 Status 0010h (Has Capabilities List, Fast Timing)
 Revision 03h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 00h
 Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
 Cache line size 64 Bytes (16 DWords)
 PCI Class Network, type Ethernet
 Subsystem ID 75761462h Onboard RTL8111b on MSI P965 Platinum Mainboard (Guess Only!)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:17:17 pm »
The Intel I210 should work. The chip wasn't initially support by MMIGB, so I had no luck when testing it first.

The bug tracker thread is here. According to that, it should work now. I'll test the PCIe card with this chip the next weeks again.