Author Topic: [SOLVED] OS2 Warp 4.52 custom screen res on Virtualbox 6 Ubuntu hosted  (Read 8273 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Hi all, after having intalled/configured OS2 Warp 4.52 in Virtualbox Windows hosted with a satisfactory result,  I'm now doing same in Ubuntu.
Of course I have imported same virtual machine latest version developed in Virtualbox Windows hosted including the OS2 guest addition installed.
I'm having problem with the custom screen resolution, cannot obtain the one I'd like to set.
While in Windows hosting I had successfully applied the given commands 

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata "OS2 Warp 4.52" "CustomVideoMode1" "1280x720x32"

now I cannot find an equivalent working in the Ubuntu terminal.

Can someone help me?
Thank you
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:50:09 pm by mauro »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: OS2 Warp 4.52 custom screen res on Virtualbox 6 Ubuntu hosted
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:29 am »
Have you tried asking that question in the Ask Ubuntu pages?

Have you actually installed the OS/2 guest additions on the Ubuntu virtual box warp guest?  You cant use the windows versions on Linux.  Once you have the Linux version of the additions running you should be able to set the screen resolution in the virtual machine (at least that is what I can do with my vBox on Linux Mint).

mauro

• View Profile
Re: OS2 Warp 4.52 custom screen res on Virtualbox 6 Ubuntu hosted
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 07:51:35 am »
Have you tried asking that question in the Ask Ubuntu pages?

no, good idea, did not consider this

Have you actually installed the OS/2 guest additions on the Ubuntu virtual box warp guest?  You cant use the windows versions on Linux.  Once you have the Linux version of the additions running you should be able to set the screen resolution in the virtual machine (at least that is what I can do with my vBox on Linux Mint).

well I'm missing the need of this since I know only one exsisting version of OS2 Guest Addition.  I've installed them under Windows but it was an OS2 mode installation, meaning that I did it merely by replacing-adding some drivers version in some directory and editing the config.sys, I could have done same in linux.
The confirmation is that mouse integration and clipboard sharing and shared folder are actually working in Ubuntu host once imported the virtual machine from Windows like it was.

mauro

• View Profile
good, I found the way.
Meantime I can confirm that once installed OS2 Guest Additions onto OS2 virtual machine, then they will work in any host system.
The strings to input the custom screen resolution of the VDI machine were almost same of the ones given in the Windows cmd console, and.....

-it is essential that Virtualbox application is not running.
-no sudo mode should be activated in the Linux command terminal (and of course no Root as well)
-unlike in the Windows cmd case, no quotation marks must be used in the Linux command line.

this is how it worked for me:

mauro@mauro-HP:~$ VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any

mauro@mauro-HP:~$ VBoxManage setextradata OS2W452 CustomVideoMode1 1150x660x32

then I runned OS2 virtual machine and after system booted I went in the System Setup and found the screen resolution 1150x660x32 among the others, selected, closed the Setup window and rebooted; I found the new 1150x660 resolution working

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:21:59 pm by mauro »

ivan

• View Profile
Hi mauro,

Happy you got it working, I missed the fact you transplanted a vdi in which you had already installed the OS/2 additions.

I do have one question though, why the oddball resolution?  Something like that would drive me nuts, not enough vertical pixels to stop a lot of scrolling.

mauro

• View Profile
well,  I prefer not to have a full screen resolution (1368x 768) so that I can get meantime an OS2 session window and the host system gadgets to handle in background if needed. Found that 660 px was about the maximum vertical size I could get in this situation, if I also wanted both the top side Virtualbox menu and the bottom side machine status icons (see picture).

My final purpose (and it's done) is obtaining a portable OS2 Warp 4.52 full system on an USB3 selfbootable pendrive, usable on any pc just by plug it in, turn the pc on and recalling the initial selective boot volume menu.

This is how I managed:

- created self bootable USB3 pendrive (32Gb) with a full Ubuntu 18.04 installation
- Virtualbox installed on it and running the OS2 vdi machine imported from Win 10, virtual machine which has been best configured as I could do with the precious help of this community including the Guest Additions
- setted the automatic start of the OS2 vdi just after Ubuntu desktop has loaded (quite simple)

it has been a tricky workaround, but I don't think it would be possible installing directly OS2 Warp on an USB stick to be selfbootable like I can do with Ubuntu.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:16:59 pm by mauro »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
it has been a tricky workaround, but I don't think it would be possible installing directly OS2 Warp on an USB stick to be selfbootable like I can do with Ubuntu.

The problem is that OS/2 can't read the USB stick until the USB drivers are installed. One workaround is to create a ram disk like the ArcaOS installer does and run OS/2 from that after copying the system to the ram drive.

BTW, be careful with the additions that you don't end up with an old version of libc.