Author Topic: Intel 6205 Wireless, GenMAC, GenMU Test, and ArcaOS  (Read 14233 times)

Eric

• View Profile
Intel 6205 Wireless, GenMAC, GenMU Test, and ArcaOS
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:29 am »
Hi,

This is my first time attempting to configure wireless, so I am not sure what output I should be expecting on some screens.  Whatever the case, I can't connect to my test open network using my Intel 6205 Wireless card on my laptop (Thinkpad X230) running ArcaOS5.  I have installed Genmac 2.20 (from the website) and the Intel TEST drivers (0.4.6) from http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/GenMU.  I can add a network device of my card type and code (8086:0085).  I then use xwlan (3.12) to try and connect to my open network (using a profile).

I think the driver is installed based off the Genmac wireless scan output (attached genmac scan output) and the ifconfig lan1 having different flags than lan2 (attached ifconfig output).

The one weird thing I've noticed is that on the Device tab of xwlan properties, there's no Wireless LAN device driver listed in the dropdown, however driver version and capabilities are listed as the doco says (attached wxlan devices tab screenshot).  I think this is because GenMac isn't listing a name for the device in its output though, so it probably is carrying over.

Are there any logs I can look at?  Can anyone point me in the proper direction?  I looked at the Genmac log in C:\genmac\driver\wrnd32.log, but I think that's all OK (no obvious errors that I can spot at least).  I'm running out of ways to debug, besides looking at random files I come across on the filesystem ;)  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Intel 6205 Wireless, GenMAC, GenMU Test, and ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
Hi Eric

You can have a look through \ibmcom\lantran.log and also check \ibmcom\protocol.ini looks right.

Due to the problems I bumped into trying to get an Intel 5100 working I can only offer some advice - you may not like it as it means reinstalling ArcaOS. These are the steps I needed to take to get an Intel (Dell) 5100 wireless nic working - hopefully I have not missed anything out.

1] During ArcaOS Reinstall select a genmac wireless nic to install. Reason: All required supporting software gets installed at this point - it is far more difficult to get xwlan, dhclient etc working by installing later.

2] When the ArcaOS install has finished you need to use Warpin (Install/Uninstall folder) to remove genmac - do not worry about the driver, leave that alone.

3] Install genmac from the GENMAC2.WPI package - not sure if this is available online so do not have a download link. I lifted this version from the eComStation2.2beta2 DVD (\CID\SERVER\ECSPKG\GENMAC2.WPI). If you do not have that eCS dvd and cannot find a copy online I guess I could email you a copy.

4] Install the required genmac driver pack then check that the w8086x0085.nif file is correct - I have noticed the odd mistake in these nif files, sometimes the vendor:device ids get a little scrambled ie the w8086:4232.nif file I use had some mistakes showing as 4332 instead of 4232 in several places in the nif file which would prevent the driver loading. I seem to recall editing the genmac\nif\w8086x4232.nif then copying the file to \ibmcom\macs overwriting the existing 8086x4232.nif file.

5] Use Adapters and Protocols (System Setup -> Network folder) to *Change* the nic to the correct nic - also check you have required Protocol(s) in place.

6] Reboot - check for driver loading OK, should be a message like "... loaded for [8086:0085]"

With luck all should now work and you should now be able to use the wireless client software installed by ArcaOS - as long as you selected a wireless nic to start with.

Regards

Pete

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:06:00 pm »
Pete,

Thanks for your advice! I will check the logs, and if I don't see anything obvious, reinstall. I have no issue reinstalling. I just want to get this working! I'll report back.

Thanks!
-Eric

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:02:07 am »
Hi,

Just an update.  I reinstalled using Pete's instructions and see much the same stuff that I saw before the reinstall.  The log file in LANTRAN.ORG (thanks again Pete!) is the same too.  I googled the code and came up with a discussion about the Intel 5100 driver reporting similar stuff.  That thread is http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.netlabs.genmac.user/3487.  As far as I can see, they resorted to using a wired connection, which I believe I will have to do as well.   I'm not sure how far along the Multimac stuff is at Arca Noae, but hopefully that's in the next release!

As this is a test driver that isn't confirmed to work (as far as I can see), and other people smarter than me have given up trying to get this to work for a similar card with the same error message, I'm just going to look into doing a wired connection.

Thanks!

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:55:15 pm »
Hi Eric

I had a look at the contents of GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi to see

1] If there was any update for my 8086:4232 - I am using a driver from GENMU_TEST-0-2-7.WPI

2] What driver the N6205 uses

I believe the GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi package is newer than the GENMU_TEST-0-2-7.WPI package but the GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi driver listed for the 8086:4232 is older

GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6 has these files
13-10-07  6:04a        21,488      0 a---  netw4x32.reg
13-10-07  6:05a     2,206,976      0 a---  netw4x32.sys

GENMU_TEST-0-2-7 has these files
NETW5X32 REG         4,182  8-02-13  8:51p
NETW5X32 SYS     3,630,080 26-06-08  6:15a

As you can see the GENMU_TEST-0-2-7.WPI contains the newer - and larger - driver file.

Why this may be of interest to you is that the driver for the 8086:0085 nic is

Directory of G:\OS2\DRIVERS\INTEL\DRIVER\WRAPPER_8086_0085

15-07-16  6:53a         <DIR>    530 ----  .
15-07-16  6:53a         <DIR>    699 ----  ..
13-10-07  6:04a        21,488      0 a---  netw4x32.reg
13-10-07  6:05a     2,206,976      0 a---  netw4x32.sys

So, from the above I surmise that both the 5100 and N6205 use the same driver and that the N6205 may have a better chance of working with the later driver file, NETW5X32.SYS

I think it may be a case of copying the NETW5X32.SYS file into the \genmac\driver\WRAPPER_8086_0085 directory.

Modified from original post:-

As the netw4x32.reg contains data specific to the 8086:0085 device you want to use this file but I think you need to copy it to netw5x32.reg - not sure if genmac demands a pair of matching filenames but this seems to be common to all the driver packs.

Then edit the \genmac\nif\W8086x0085.nif file to use the NETW5X32.* files - you only need to change the 4 to 5 in the filename to use. Then copy the modified \genmac\nif\W8086x0085.nif file to \ibmcom\macs overwriting the existing file.

Hope it works for you  :-)

Pete

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:42:52 pm by Pete »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 03:55:15 pm »
I had a look at the contents of GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi to see

1] If there was any update for my 8086:4232 - I am using a driver from GENMU_TEST-0-2-7.WPI

2] What driver the N6205 uses

I believe the GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi package is newer than the GENMU_TEST-0-2-7.WPI package but the GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi driver listed for the 8086:4232 is older

The TEST packages have been built to properly install the drivers, but nobody has reported that they actually work. The drivers in the other packages have been reported to work, but that doesn't mean that they will work for everybody, under all conditions.

Intel drivers seem to be pretty consistent, but newer drivers are larger, and require more resources, which aren't available in GENMAC. Sometimes, the older drivers will work, while the newer ones won't, even with newer hardware. The ultimate limit seems to have been reached about 4 years ago, and nothing new has been (un)supported since then.

FWIW, I have an Intel WiFi in my Lenovo L530 (8086:0891). I can load the GENMAC driver, and it works exactly like a wired NIC, with no cable attached. The problem that I have with it, is that I can find no way to turn the radio on (which effectively plugs in the wire). I am pretty sure that it would work, if I could get the radio turned on.

Fortunately, I hear that the Arca Noae WiFi driver is in the last stages of development, so support should come alive, in the near future (probably a few months).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 07:44:19 pm »
Hi Doug

I see from using wpiview on GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi that the 8086:0891 also uses the netw4x32.reg and netw4x32.sys files.

As these Intel files "grow" as a result of updated and new drivers being added to what seems to be a "multipack of drivers" - the same driver file has code for a range of wireless nics - there is a chance that the advice given to Eric could work for your 8086:0891; I have just modified that post.

GENMAC2.WPI from the eCS2.2beta2 dvd/iso will also need to be installed as v2.20 releases seem to fail to load drivers they do not "know" about.

On my Intel (Dell) 5100 laptop the wireless led comes on just after genmac reports the driver as loaded.

Hopefully the eagerly awaited wireless nic drivers from Arca Noae will enable us to move on from fiddling hopefully with genmac drivers in the near future.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:51:14 pm »
I see from using wpiview on GenMU_INTEL_WIFI-0-4-6.wpi that the 8086:0891 also uses the netw4x32.reg and netw4x32.sys files.

It actually uses completely different file names in windows. Those files also seem to work, as well as the netw4x32.* files do. the number "4" indicates the version of the windows driver netw5x32.* is newer, but also requires more resources. I have also tried older ones, with the same results, and they are actually more likely to work, until the device needs something that they don't support. Choosing netw4x32.* was a compromise, and some of the packaged (TEST) drivers have multiple copies in them, but only one is configured. They can e selected by editing PROTOCOL.INI.

GENMAC2.WPI from the eCS2.2beta2 dvd/iso will also need to be installed as v2.20 releases seem to fail to load drivers they do not "know" about.

Not true. The only difference between GENMAC 2.20 and 2.21, is that in 2.21, they left out some of the windows drivers that they couldn't get permission to include. ArcaOS did the same thing, but they also pulled the GENMAC drivers for devices that are now supported by the MultiMac project. Unsupported devices are supported in exactly the same way in both cases. Sometimes they work, and often they don't. System loading seems to have a large effect on whether it works, or not, but that seems to be something in GENMAC, and we don't have the source to be able to fix it. It is known that one of the problems is that the windows driver sometimes overwrites the GENMAC configuration. A couple of people tried to fix that, but it didn't work.

On my Intel (Dell) 5100 laptop the wireless led comes on just after genmac reports the driver as loaded.

As i said, mine works perfectly, as if there was no cable attached to a wired NIC (I can assign an IP address, and ping it). There is no way to turn on the radio, which effectively attaches the wire. From what I found out, Linux had a program to do that (using ACPI), but it got replaced by something in the Linux kernel, and I can't find the source any more. It is also obvious that windows uses an add on driver to control the radio. About the only thing I didn't try, was to hard wire a switch to the adapter. Since I already had an external WiFi device, that connects to the wired NIC, and AN was working on a proper driver, I didn't bother trying any more.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 03:28:25 am »
Thanks for the suggestion/info Pete and Doug.  I implemented Pete's suggestion, but got the same results.  Worth a shot though, so thanks!

For the record, drivers load fine, just no connection.  It may be what Doug is experiencing with the radio not being "connected".  Here's what \IBMCOM\LANTRAN.LOG says.  The blank MAC makes me think it won't work anyway:

Code: [Select]
RND32$  WRAPPER for bus: 3 slot: 0 Vendor: 0x8086 Device: 0x0085.
WRND32$  load SYS: "netw5x32.sys" length: 3630080 CRC: 0x5ba4 / 0x1005.
WRND32$  load INF: "netw5x32.reg" length: 2647.
WRND32$  WRAPPER ErrorLog 0x40001b7c.
WRND32$  WRAPPER hardware init successfull MAC : 000000:000000.

Good to hear the Arca Noae driver is progressing!

Thanks,
-Eric

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 04:51:06 am »
Hi Eric

Sorry to read it did not work for you.The lantran.log does indicate a probable reason: the MAC address is all 0's.

I suppose the big question is: Does loading the driver turn on whatever visible indicator is used to show WiFi is on?

If it does not then I would guess that is the reason for the MAC address being 0 and that you need a later driver - the problem there is, as Doug mentioned, genmac cannot cope with the later, bigger drivers.

Yes, installing ArcaOS to a laptop/notebook will, hopefully, become a little easier when the Arca Noae wireless drivers happen.

Regards

Pete

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »
Yes, with netw4x32.sys (dated Oct 13, 2007, size 2206976 bytes) from GenMU distribution, I got the same Eric reported:
a zero MAC address, and device is not detected by XWLAN/WPA supplicant (though, IP address is
assigned and it answer to pings). I also tried a newer version of netw4x32.sys windoze driver (size
10287984 bytes), which should support Intel 6205, but it hangs when netbind.exe is loading.
So, I ended up buying a Intel 5100 from Aliexpress (just ordered it). It should work with my T420
laptop. Also, I bought Ericsson F3507g 3G card + GPS (which worked fine in OS/2 with my older
X61T laptop).