Author Topic: Firefox and youtube  (Read 48519 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox and youtube
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 04:20:36 am »
Thanks David, could you do the same with the unofficial icon as I'm thinking of switching to that branding?
Edit, looking again, they seem to be the same icon.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:26:08 am by Dave Yeo »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 04:47:08 am »
The 40x40 is the only one that was resized and touched up.  the other sizes are are the same icon, just touched up to remove the outer white dots that occur up when a color is lighter than the interior color on the icon. You originally used a 32x32 icon for the 40x40.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:14:14 am by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 08:11:56 am »
Just curious: is the icon of FF 45.9 (i686, one (ZIP file) size fits all, including sometimes limited disk sizes) a new FF icon?

Rereading, I guess you're referring to the nightly icon, it's been in the tree for a long time. The difference is that Bitwise was using the official branding and I've been using the default (nightly) branding to differentiate. Strictly speaking, the official branding is covered by trademark and we shouldn't be using due to patching the code.

xynixme

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 02:38:24 pm »
Just to be clear, the attched icon of the i686 FIREFOX.EXE executable is no longer on fire, and is free of foxes. I've saved the old one for my desktop objects, but the icon in the top left corner of a running FIREFOX.EXE is the embedded new icon.

It may indeed be an intentionally used new icon. If it's new, then I may update a matching folder icon too (old fox, in front of a 40x40 eCS folder icon).

Now the folder icon is old (fox), the program objects are old too (fox), but the icon of the program itself is a blue planet. A change is easy, so switching to blue is fine with me too.

Is this blue planet the new FF icon (at least for your unique FF builds) indeed?

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:15 pm »
Hi Andre

Dave can correct me if I am wrong.  After reading everything stated, it is my understanding the blue planet icon is used to distinguish the nightly test builds from the approved FF builds. It looks to me like a good ideal to keep confusion down. That is not to say that you cannot switch to a different icon for the test builds if you so choose once the test build is installed.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:01:19 pm »
Hi Andre

Dave can correct me if I am wrong.  After reading everything stated, it is my understanding the blue planet icon is used to distinguish the nightly test builds from the approved FF builds. It looks to me like a good ideal to keep confusion down. That is not to say that you cannot switch to a different icon for the test builds if you so choose once the test build is installed.

Yes, that is basically it except the official Firefox icons etc are also trademarked and we're not supposed to use it without permission. especially if we've patched the code, which we have.
The code is here, (linking to github as it seems easier to download individual files there) https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/tree/master/browser/branding.
previously I was just using the default, nightly I believe, now I'm using the unofficial branding.
It is also possible to add our own branding directory here and have our own browser, something to consider as we change the code.

xynixme

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 07:06:49 pm »
That is not to say that you cannot switch to a different icon for the test builds if you so choose once the test build is installed.
Understood. I have no GCC (and all other goodies) installed, so I didn't really look at code of nightly builds.

You cannot fully switch to a different icon. You can only override the icon of the WPS WPProgram object, but the icon in the top left corner (of the title bar) of FIREFOX.EXE is the embedded icon.

An example is attached. (Assigned) orange WPFolder object's icon, (assigned) orange WPProgram object icon, (embedded) blue title bar icon.

Dave Yeo doesn't have to install a complex mobile mountain data reflecting system to upload a new version with just a new icon at 1.2kbits/sec, but then I may want (to create) a matching blue WPFolder object too. Hence the question if this embedded icon was a new icon. I do prefer any of the usual orange icons, but I don't mind switching to a blue (folder) icon of possibly a last FF45.9 nightly build for i686 for OS/2.

Based on Dave's confirmation I may now create a blue planet folder icon, and use "our" blue planet icon as the new (default) icon. I.e. no assigned own, different, orange icons anymore. To replace the orange ones (mainly of the WPFolder object, the WPProgram object will use the embedded blue icon by default).

xynixme

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
the official Firefox icons etc are also trademarked and we're not supposed to use it without permission. especially if we've patched the code, which we have.
Off-topic, for one due to the patched code, but in general icons aren't always the subject of copyrights. A simple example is the color brown of http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/bf_brown1-0-0.zip, which is a trademark of UPS. Using the color brown will be "fair use" in that case. There's no competing nor confusing non-nightly product for OS/2 by Mozilla anyway. Actually you'd be promoting their browser for Windows by using a more iconic icon.

I haven't checked if no embedded (blue) icon would be an option for nightly builds, if the system will then use an (orange) icon assigned to FIREFOX.EXE by an user in the top left corner of the title bar.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 01:01:31 am »
Hi Andre, everyone...

...You cannot fully switch to a different icon. You can only override the icon of the WPS WPProgram object, but the icon in the top left corner (of the title bar) of FIREFOX.EXE is the embedded icon...

Actually, I do like the original FF icon set, and it is the nightly that kind of bothers me (no offence Dave..lol) only because our platform's reality is that it is the nightlies that actually give us the improved browser versions thanks to efforts like Dave's (I'm benefiting by running the AMD release here).

So if anything I'd love to pull that pesky .exe small icon out and just replace it with the old traditional one. I suspect that it's some type of a resource that's compiled into the EXE itself, not sure if it's even possible to yank it out??? I haven't tried it yet...short on time...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:14 am »
Hi André, it is actually the symbol in the icon that is trademarked. The rules are here, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/ which clearly states that we can't distribute the Firefox branded web browser.

Hi Dariusz, yes the icon is compiled into firefox.exe as a resource and can't be easily changed.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 03:59:34 am »
It is also possible to add our own branding directory here and have our own browser, something to consider as we change the code.

Can we call it Web Explorer?  :)
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:33:28 am »

..ahh...those were the days, eh?

I remember firing up the 1st native OS/2 browser (AFAIK anyways)...good stuff, for that time....

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 07:45:05 am »

Doubt that IBM would care, Ice Explorer has been suggested.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 09:25:11 am »
Hi André, it is actually the symbol in the icon that is trademarked. The rules are here, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/ which clearly states that we can't distribute the Firefox branded web browser.

Hi Dariusz, yes the icon is compiled into firefox.exe as a resource and can't be easily changed.

Normally you should be able to use resmgr (comes with eCS and also AN) and pull the resources from the exe.
Then, you can replace the icon and use "rc.exe" to readd the resources to the exe (the whole resources segment will be overwritten/replaced by rc.exe). But you might need to use LXLITE /X to uncompress the exe before pulling out the resources and after readding you need to use LXLITE to recompress the exe.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 06:35:49 am »

Doubt that IBM would care, Ice Explorer has been suggested.

I think someone mentioned Songbird explorer .  Just playing around,
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:40:40 am by David Graser »