Author Topic: Mozturbo help  (Read 55030 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Mozturbo help
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2019, 06:31:57 am »
@André, sorry for not being responsive, busy with other stuff, I'll revisit this soon I hope.

@Neil, Was it the SUa1 release you had problems with? It had a bad bug that is fixed in SUa2. The original Pentium M also seems quite stable.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2019, 03:32:04 pm »
@Neil, Was it the SUa1 release you had problems with? It had a bad bug that is fixed in SUa2. The original Pentium M also seems quite stable.

Checking back, yes it was. I'll try SUa2. I don't judge stability quickly, and I doubt any report that does.

(Edit: I've tried it for a few days now, and SUa2 works better for me than GA2 from Bitwise.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:50:06 am by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

xynixme

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2019, 12:30:39 am »
being responsive
Don't hurry. I've sent a support file, and I'll send a "final" test version later today. You may have to check your spam filter.

The test version doesn't execute ABOVE512.EXE or HIGHMEM.EXE with the -c parameter, so ABOVE512.EXE just displays the current settings of the DLLs without changing anything. Objects and WPUrl settings can and will be changed.

I still have to "fully" test it, You don't have to, but it's possible. I'll suggest several distributions; InsTurbo.EXE is always the same.

xynixme

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2019, 01:36:18 am »
@Dave: your e-mail "service" provider deleted my final *.PIZ test release, and so did I. I'll perform the tests, and just upload the distributions I prefer later.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 01:55:00 am »
@Dave: your e-mail "service" provider deleted my final *.PIZ test release, and so did I. I'll perform the tests, and just upload the distributions I prefer later.

You also have to be careful.  A lot of email is now routed to the SPAM folder whether you wanted it to do so or not.  I have gotten into the habit of checking my SPAM folder before I delete its contents.  I don't know how may times now that email I had been expecting had been routed to my SPAM folder.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 02:54:00 am »
@André, not in your sent folder? Googles bad at bouncing attachments. Alternative is daveryeo at telus net though I no longer have access to its spam folder nor can I change a size limit I put on it some time back and forget what the limit is, couple of MBs IIRC.
@David, yes I make it a habit to check the spam folder every few days. There's people who use less trusted servers such as Yahoo that always get routed to spam.

xynixme

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2019, 10:43:14 am »
I've uploaded recompiled test and sample distributions for Dave Yeo @ tripod.com, for a next MozTurbo release. The main difference is related to where the - optional - artwork is saved (1 generic InsTurbo.PNG file, and 4 load/unload ICO/PNG files per product).

Basicly it's an improved InsTurbo.CMD with David Graser's artworks and a PM UI, which matches the RFCs and requested specs here, and supports the whole latest Turbo family of Mozilla products.

If AVOVE512.EXE nor HIGHMEM.EXE were found in a PATH directory, then the PM UI is used to offer more ways to find it (search, select, type a part of' the full path).

Automated install: N/A. Distribute patched and repackaged files, and all users may have to remark DLLs as high after an upgrade of the Mozilla product.

Of course the matching VX-REXX source code was provided as well. I've saved a copy here too.

xynixme

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2019, 12:03:44 pm »
Copy "here" = @ home. Not @ os2world.com; it's a test release.

BTW, if users want to see the list of supported DLLs, then after a release they can copy InsTurbo.EXE and the required executable of the Mozilla product (FF/SM/TB only) to an empty directory. Or e.g. "DIR > SEAMONKEY.EXE". Then InsTurbo will show an error message with all supported and required DLLs (compiled by Dave Yeo; no third-party DLLs included at the moment) which can be marked as "load high".

If someone wants to port InsTurbo.EXE (VX-REXX) to a WarpIN Rexx script later, then of course that's fine with me. Releasing the source code is not a requirement of me, but even a remake wouldn't be that hard. InsTurbo.EXE doesn't do anything special or complicated.

xynixme

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2019, 08:50:09 am »
Alternative is someone at somewhere net though I no longer have access to its spam folder
I'll use this for a.o. a cosmetic EXE update today.

xynixme

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2019, 01:00:32 pm »
Is it possible, by using third-party C code, to detect that the user may have forgotten to unload the turbo? A possible warning. If so, how, and it has to be quite easy because it would just be an alternative for R'ing the Turbo Unload-section of TFM.

The starting point is that the third-party C code knows that the Mozilla product isn't the legacy browser, and that the product may be FF/SM/TB with a matching and existing xxTURBO.EXE file.

A possible warning, displayed once or twice, because e.g. a SUITE.DLL of a different SEAMONKEY.EXE and/or a different SMTURBO.EXE may be loaded, and the detection doesn't have to be perfect then. Probably a rare event, but Neil could be using a FIREFOX.EXE and a FFTURBO.EXE, while he's preparing a Firefox distribution package, for customers or users, in another directory. So it could be too simple too query a module name, assume it's exaclty the same specific Firefox module file, and display an error message instead of a warning.

xynixme

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2019, 01:26:10 pm »
And an unsupported, untested Rexx file to allow relevant third-party DLLs to use memory above 512 MiB, if available. You may want to execute this after each relevant upgrade, like the recently released HUNSPEL0.DLL update.

Extract both packages in the same directory, and execute OtherDLLs.CMD.

At the moment involved third-party DLLs are HUNSPEL0.DLL, ICUDT.DLL, ICUIN.DLL, ICUUC.DLL and LIBVPX4.DLL. This list of other DLLs can be edited by the user. (Near) line 15 of OtherDLLs.CMD. Please user lower-cased file names, to make visible what was edited. The Rexx code is based on the latest InsTurbo.EXE release.

The Rexx DLL doesn't assume the use of FF/SM/TB hardware, so in theory you can use any OS/2 hardware to compile new OS DLL packages with marked files.

Code: [Select]
/* Load other DLLs high (unsupported) */

CALL RxFuncAdd 'Above512','Above512','Above512'
CALL RxFuncAdd 'SysFileDelete','RexxUtil','SysFileDelete'
CALL RxFuncAdd 'SysFileTree','RexxUtil','SysFileTree'

/* Delete the distributed, useless file RX512MIB.OBJ of Above512 v0.01d */

SAY
IF Stream('RX512MIB.OBJ','C','QUERY EXISTS')<>'' THEN CALL SysFileDelete 'RX512MIB.OBJ'

/* Compile a list of third-party DLLs, with one space between full DLL file specs  */
/* Please insert new DLL file names in lower-case, to make updates clearly visible */

dlls='HUNSPEL0.DLL ICUDT.DLL ICUIN.DLL ICUUC.DLL LIBVPX4.DLL'

/* Convert the DLL file names sentence to a stem or compound variable */

dlls=Strip(dlls)
dll.0=Words(dlls)
DO i=1 TO dll.0
   dll.i=Strip(Word(dlls,i))
END i

/* Load DLLs high, if the product is not the legacy Mozilla? */

IF dll.0>0 THEN DO
   dircounter=0
   source=''

/* Support for LIBPATH DLLs requires a REXXUTIL.DLL with SysBootDrive() support (to avoid older methods to try to find CONFIG.SYS) */
   /* The file CONFIG.SYS is used for the LIBPATH (not BEGINLIBPATH), so the LIBPATH in use may be different */

IF RxFuncQuery('SysBootDrive')=0 THEN DO
     source=SysBootDrive()||'\CONFIG.SYS'
      DO WHILE Lines(source)>0
         line=Strip(LineIn(source))
         IF Left(Translate(line),8)='LIBPATH=' THEN DO
            PARSE VAR line 1 . 9 line
            begin=Strip(Value('BEGINLIBPATH',,'ENVIRONMENT'))
            IF Right(begin,1)<>';' THEN begin=begin||';'
            IF begin<>';' THEN line=begin||line
            DO WHILE line<>''
               dircounter=dircounter+1
               PARSE VAR line dir.dircounter ';' line
               dir.dircounter=Strip(dir.dircounter)
               IF Right(dir.dircounter,1)<>'\' THEN dir.dircounter=dir.dircounter||'\'
            END
         END
      END
      CALL LineOut source
   END
   dir.0=dircounter
   IF source='' THEN DO
      SAY 'Error: no LIBPATH support due to old REXXUTIL.DLL without SysBootDrive() function.'
      SAY
      CALL CharOut '','Press <ENTER>... '
      PULL .
      EXIT
   END

/* Check the list of DLLs */

errors=0
   DO i=1 TO dll.0

/* DLL file in current directory? */

IF Stream(dll.i,'C','QUERY EXISTS')='' THEN DO

/* Otherwise DLL file in LIBPATH directory? */

retry=''
         IF source<>'' THEN DO           
            DO j=1 TO dir.0
               retry=Stream(dir.j||FileSpec('N',dll.i),'C','QUERY EXISTS')
               IF retry<>'' THEN DO
                  dll.i=dir.j||FileSpec('N',dll.i)
                  j=dir.0
               END
            END j
         END   
         IF retry='' THEN DO
            errors=errors+1
            error.errors=dll.i
         END
      END
   END i

/* By request, any missing DLL is a fatal error instead of a warning */

IF errors>0 THEN DO
      SAY 'Error, DLL file(s) not found:'
      SAY
      DO i=1 TO errors
         SAY Translate(error.i)
      END i
      SAY
      PULL .
      EXIT
   END
END

/* Above512.DLL's possible errors */

error.1='no module name specified.'
error.2='no valid options specified.'
error.3='cannot open module.'
error.4='cannot read module.'
error.5='not a LX format 32-bit module.'
error.6='cannot modify module.'
error.7='cannot restore date/time attributes.'

/* Process all DLLs */

DO i=1 TO dll.0
   SAY 'Processing file' FileSpec('N',dll.i)||'...'
   SAY

/* Is the DLL read-only? */

restore=0
   IF SysFileTree(dll.i,'readonly.','F','***+*')=2 THEN DO
      SAY 'Error: not enough available free memory to query a list of files.'
      SAY
      PULL .
      EXIT
   END     

IF readonly.0=1 THEN DO

/* If so, then (try to) toggle the setting */

restore=1
      IF SysFileTree(dll.i,'readonly.','F',,'***-*')=2 THEN DO
         SAY
         PULL .
         EXIT
      END

/* Verify new setting */

IF SysFileTree(dll.i,'readonly.','F','***-*')=2 THEN DO
         SAY
         PULL .
         EXIT
      END
      IF readonly.0=1 THEN DO
         SAY dll.i 'unmarked as a read-only file.'
         SAY
      END
   END

/* Call the utility */

retcode=Above512(dll.i,'-u','-!')
   IF retcode>0 THEN DO
      SAY 'Error:' error.retcode
      SAY
      PULL .
      EXIT
   END
   retcode=Above512(dll.i,'-c')
   IF retcode>0 THEN DO
      SAY 'Error:' error.retcode
      SAY
      PULL .
      EXIT
   END

/* (Try to) restore the read-only setting, if possibly changed */

IF restore=1 THEN DO
      IF SysFileTree(dll.i,'readonly.','F',,'***+*')=2 THEN DO
         SAY
         PULL .
         EXIT
      END

/* Verify the restored read-only setting */

IF SysFileTree(dll.i,'readonly.','F','***+*')=2 THEN DO
         SAY
         PULL .
         EXIT
      END
      IF readonly.0=1 THEN DO
         SAY
         SAY dll.i 'marked as a read-only file again.'
      END
   END
END i
SAY 'Done.'
SAY
PULL .

EXIT

xynixme

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2019, 01:33:18 pm »
Output sample of OtherDLLs.CMD. Albeit it tries to unlock DLLs first, and should reset faulty settings, you may want to unload FFTURBO.EXE, SMTURBO.EXE and/or TBTURBO.EXE first.

Code: [Select]
[C:\Non-Path Tools\Above512]OTHERDLLS.CMD

Processing file HUNSPEL0.DLL...

Processing file ICUDT.DLL...

Processing file ICUIN.DLL...

Processing file ICUUC.DLL...

Processing file LIBVPX4.DLL...

Done.

Press <ENTER>...

OtherDLLs.CMD is not related to, nor supported by, the (authors of the) Mozilla family of products, InsTurbo, MozTurbo nor third-party DLLs required by the Mozilla products.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:40:06 pm by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2019, 08:36:02 am »
Working on a DLL-based, dual mode version, but only if that won't affect the PM UI too much. The DLL will be optional, to not introduce yet another required Mozilla-related DLL.

Advantages are less output to be verified by an user, theoretical access to all OS APIs (e.g. is xxTURBO.EXE unloaded?) and a better level of control, for example by first resetting markings and trying to unlock a DLL. OtherDLLs.ZIP @ Hobbes already uses such a DLL, but without a PM UI. If the DLL cannot be loaded, then third-party tools HIGHMEM.EXE or ABOVE512.EXE will remain a requirement to mark DLLs.

If it works, then I'll send an updated test release of InsTurbo.EXE to Dave soon.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:46:52 am by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2019, 07:28:32 am »
If it works, then I'll send an updated test release of InsTurbo.EXE to Dave soon.

Done.

FTR I'll attach the currently proposed full collection of Graser's works of art, moved to a single directory. *.ICO and *.PNG files.

xynixme

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2019, 09:11:48 am »
Perhaps the network desktop folder would be a good place to install to
Possible, instead of the <WP_DESKTOP> and an user's choice. Is that the <WP_CONNECTIONSFOLDER>? An unusual or unexpected folder can be opened, to make clear where some of the objects were created.

Other possibilities: optionally append upto 5 (unselectable) other DLLs, like HUNSPEL0.DLL and ICUDT.DLL, to the list of DLLs (menu options). Unmark all modules (menu option). List all required Mozilla modules (menu option) for CLI freaks. Append the Rexx utility to the list of required DLLs. Detect if the Mozilla app is still running (how?), if that's about as simple as detecting that the turbo is still loaded. Detect that other turbo's are still running too (may share DLL files). Change browser settings of existing WPUrl-objects (conditionally). Open the startup folder, to make even more clear where a shadow of the object was created.

I'll send a "final", DLL-based generation, which is now actually tested with all :P products (excluding actually applying changes), to Dave Yeo. It kills a few possible, rare bugs. And it has a simplified UI because it no longer requires any of the third-party memory utilities, so the user no longer has to check the "text-mode" output window of the third-party memory utility too:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:30:32 am by André Heldoorn »