OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Utilities

PMVNC & Linux?

(1/2) > >>

Ben:
Is there a version, (or an equivalent), of/to PMVNC for OS/2 that works with OS/2 and Linux... with Linux acting as the host?

I know that the version for OS/2 is ancient and it is highly unlikely to be compatible with modern versions, but there must be someone out there that has a solution and can save me some time duplicating their research.

HobLink/2 no longer works, (even though I have added the eCSreg*.ini files), so that is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks.

Dave Yeo:
PMVNC should work with Linux VNC, at least it did last time I tried a couple of years ago. As far as I know they should negotiate a common protocol.  If not post your errors.

Ian Manners:
PMVNC v104 works fine from OS/2 to MAC (my wifes) and to Free BSD (My new computer).

Haven't tried it in the other direction yet, though I will soon to ensure I can access my OS/2 and AIX servers ok.
OS/2 will end up in a virtual PC under BSD, eventually. Still cant find alternatives to some of my OS/2 programs.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Ben on September 30, 2013, 11:17:31 am ---Is there a version, (or an equivalent), of/to PMVNC for OS/2 that works with OS/2 and Linux... with Linux acting as the host?

I know that the version for OS/2 is ancient and it is highly unlikely to be compatible with modern versions, but there must be someone out there that has a solution and can save me some time duplicating their research.

HobLink/2 no longer works, (even though I have added the eCSreg*.ini files), so that is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I just tried this, and it works. In eCS (OS/2) you need the PM VNC package installed (the server part), and configured (just add a password).

Then, use Firefox in Linux, with the URL "192.168.0.100:5800" (without the quotes, and use the address of the target machine). It will ask for the password. Enter that, and the eCS desktop will open in Firefox.

I am using Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64, and it comes with a program called VINO, which shows in the menu as "Desktop Sharing". You need to configure that to allow others to view, and control, your desktop. I turn off confirming a connection, and add a password. Set the rest as you like. Then, in eCS, I tried using Firefox, but it doesn't seem to work. Using VNCViewer from: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/internet/misc/pmvnc104_ow.zip works. Just connect to the URL (192.168.0.100:0), and enter the password. I notice that the connection takes a few seconds, where connecting to another eCS machine is almost instant. I suspect that is something that needs to be set, but it figures it out.

Dave Yeo:
At one time there was a Java based VNC viewer for Firefox etc. Haven't heard of a native VNC viewer being added to Firefox though I might have missed it. Perhaps about:plugins or looking at the installed extensions might show something.
The slow connect speed could well be just negotiating a common protocol, newer VNC has various compression algorithms and who knows what to speed things up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version