Author Topic: Discussion about RPM/YUM and Libcn  (Read 26516 times)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: Discussion about RPM/YUM and Libcn
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2019, 05:24:40 pm »
I've created two different versions for the install script: anpm-text and run-yum.

The first one adds  text on the new DLL detection page, if packages are missing. The additional text contains a hint how to install missing packages with Arca Noae Package Manager (ANPM). It lets the installation continue. The second one runs yum automatically when packages are missing and package 2 (Support DLLs) is activated. In both versions the support DLLs were removed, for the anpm-text version also the entire package 2.

Existing system DLLs from older packages have to be uninstalled manually with WarpIN. Select package "DOSBox2 Support DLLs" for uninstallation.

Unfortunately it's not possible with WarpIN to run a .cmd file normally. The window is hidden and the output invisible. One has to run WarpIN from a cmd.exe window to see messages that the called commands return. That's also the method how to debug .wis scripts. Additionally, ANPM doesn't provide the feature to accept package names as command line args. See the AN bug tracker. Therefore this option is also not possible. After these checks, I've created the anpm-text version, because for the automatic yum execution, error messages would be gobbled.

The included .cmd files require the file DOSBOX0.74_30.03.19.EXE in the same path. Both .cmd files create a file dosbox0.74_2019-05-11.exe.

Changes:
  • Added WarpIN window title.
  • Grouped NLS packages.
  • Added DLL detection page.
  • Removed support DLLs. The run-yum version still contains package 2, to execute the yum command for missing packages, but it has no files anymore. The anpm-text version adds only text to page 2 how to install the missing packges with ANPM.
  • Improved some texts.
  • Reformatted .wis file slightly.
  • Fixed typos etc.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:38:50 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2019, 05:43:39 pm »
If you still want to provide the system DLLs as support package, I would create a .zip file (zip -9X dosboxsystemdlls dll1 dll2 dll3) and provide that separately.

Then it's a bit clearer that people who unpack that might run into problems later with other packages. But i won't do that.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2019, 07:12:36 pm »
Hi Andreas.

Big thanks for the Warpin scripts. I will test them.

Bye Jochen

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 12:08:17 am »
Unfortunately it's not possible with WarpIN to run a .cmd file normally. The window is hidden and the output invisible. One has to run WarpIN from a cmd.exe window to see messages that the called commands return. That's also the method how to debug .wis scripts.

You can bring a CMD file to the foreground when it's called from WarpIN.  You just have to write the CMD file to do that.  In my ClearType fonts WPI I used this technique when I needed the script to prompt the user for special options.

Code: [Select]
/* Bring the current session to the foreground (so the user can see messages) */
PARSE SOURCE . . me
myname = FILESPEC('NAME',  me )
CALL SysSwitchSession myname
CALL SysSwitchSession me

(This requires REXXUTIL functions to be loaded, obviously.  SysSwitchSession was added in Warp 3 FixPak 35 and Warp 4 FixPak 6. IIRC the double invocation is because in some cases the Window List entry may include the path component, and in others it may not.)

Note, however, that it is not a good idea to make the CMD wait on user input if there is any likelihood that the WPI might need to support CID-mode (headless) install, for obvious reasons.  (The aforementioned ClearType WPI gets away with it because it can't be distributed commercially anyway, so it's extremely unlikely to be called by a CID installer.)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 09:51:18 pm »
Thanks, Alex. Yes, that works.

I've updated the run-yum version. It contains another REXX file that calls yum.

Update on 2019-05-16: Fixed typo in dosbox-runyum.cmd that prevented the VIO window to become topmost.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:26:54 am by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 09:58:00 pm »
Note, however, that it is not a good idea to make the CMD wait on user input if there is any likelihood that the WPI might need to support CID-mode (headless) install, for obvious reasons.  (The aforementioned ClearType WPI gets away with it because it can't be distributed commercially anyway, so it's extremely unlikely to be called by a CID installer.)
Yes, that was one reason why I've favored the anpm-text version. Now I think, in a CID case, the .rpm files might be installed before. Then the DLL check might pass and omit calling the dosbox-runyum.cmd.

And I've added the -y parameter to yum in the .wis file. (I don't know how yum would behave in case of an error.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:01:35 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 10:42:47 pm »
The new version of run-yum seems to call yum only if no other package is selected. The version from yesterday with direct call of yum without the .cmd file doesn't have this problem. Therefore my favorite is again the anpm-text version.

(I don't understand this behavior. I remember that for NEPMD, all .cmd files being called by separately selectable packages work.)

OK, that was caused by having the DLL package installed in another dir than the rest. It all works now. I've also updated the .wis* file in the .zip file above to use the full path for dosbox-runyum.cmd, but that's not required.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:28:46 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:53 am »
Wow, this gets better and better ;-)
Thank you all for the support.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 03:13:42 pm »
Just doodling around. Made a couple of more OS/2 icons based on the other PNGs I created.  The icons can be renamed to match.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 08:51:23 am »
I used Andreas' scripts and David's great icons to build package.
Can somebody else please test it. It looks good to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 11:55:29 am by Jochen Schäfer »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 06:07:04 pm »
Jochen, please correct my name.

On page 1, the trailing period of the last sentence is missing and Warpin should be changed to WarpIN.

Yum is not called for me. I've just tested it on an almost fresh ArcaOS 5.0.1, where sdl120.dll and libcn0.dll (due to an older libc) were not found.

At least the error should be indicated and an instruction how to proceed should pop up.

I'll try to find out what failed in the next days. It has worked for me on the other machine.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 06:20:44 pm »
Oh, I'm very sorry. You are correct. I just copy and paste it from the wrong place, it seems.
When, I get home, I correct it and upload the correct version.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 06:35:11 pm »
I wonder if uninstalling the previous version is that important  that it should be given it own installation page and that WarpIn should be mentioned to do the uninstaall.

I also attempted to touch up the fulldoxbox icon a little,

After installation, replace the icon with the test.ico to see the minor differences,  Primarily the c: prompt is a little clearer
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:13:50 pm by David Graser »

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 07:41:30 pm »
I have replaced the first version with a version with correct attribution.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04:50 pm »
I have replaced the first version with a version with correct attribution.
The file dosbox-runyum.cmd is missing in your package. It should be added to package 2. That's the reason why yum wasn't started. And situations like this have to be reported, as I wrote. I'll improve that version.

Could you please fix also my name here?

Another item: The .txt files should be converted from windows-1252 to ibm-850. The .lang files are used in DOS and already have the correct codepage 850. That can be done with uconv:

uconv -i -c -f windows-1252 -t ibm-850 -o outfile infile
After that, copy outfile over the original encoded infile.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:32:05 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »