Author Topic: ArcaOS - 2nd Year  (Read 5959 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
ArcaOS - 2nd Year
« on: May 16, 2019, 03:00:23 pm »
Hi

I missed ArcaOS birthday yesterday. According to history,  May 15, 2017 was the day that ArcaOS 5.0.0 was released.

Congratulations for the Arca Noae team.

I think it is a good moment to comment about the ups and down and try to do some constructive criticism to the platform. I hope I can write more about that later this day on some free time, but I really want to hear what do you think.

Give you cheers away, and remember to focus the constructive criticism on the software, actions or strategy and not on the people.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS - 2nd Year
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:37:40 am »
This coincides with both the bombing of my home town, one day earlier, and Warpstock Europe, 2 days later. Would be nice to welcome you in person to Warpstock Europe 2025. That'd mean we're still  on 4 years from now)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Re: ArcaOS - 2nd Year
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 03:24:09 pm »
My AracOS experience is, until now, a quite good one. It also brought me back to the good old DOS gaming world, brought back some Win 3.11 memories and lets me start with Visual Age 4 (didn't have that one back then in OS/2 3 days).

Stability wise I had quite some issues. Even out of the box, especially with Panorama, when switching between resolutions from DOS fullscreen mode back to desktop resolution.. or click the SNAP advanced button works at first, but when you want to return to the desktop, the whole thing hangs (always reproducable on all my hardware)

But.. as long as you know where NOT to click on, or what to do to avoid stuff, that could break the OS, it's great and stable.
I am sure these things are all minor and will be fixed over the time. As for now, browser, USB3 and UEFI are the big things to concentrate on.. so let's not bother with stuff like freezing desktop when switching between consoles.. ; )

Still, there is that bug from the old OS/2 days, where Windows 3.x sees there is nothing free on the hard drive, but infact there are 2+ GB of free space left. (there is a patch for that, which is acutally not yet delivered with the OS)

All in all you need to know what you are doing, or else you might run into problems.. like for instance let a computer n00b use it... it might not be a good experience for him... also only until they know what to do and what better avoid to do..
It's not as bulletproof as Linux Mint or Windows 7 yet. But as it is only two years old yet, I think, it's likely to have small quirks and problems. (Remember Windows 95 and Bill Gates trying to scan some paper, resulting in a bluescreen? :D)

Also, since ArcaNoae is still active and still releasing more and more features, the journey will most likely continue and hopefully bring this OS/2 based operating system a future on modern computers. : ) - Which is GREAT and I like to thank ArcaNoae and all its supporters for maintaining and developing such a nice operating system!

And let's not forget VOICE, Bitwise and co for their VERY nice support for the whole OS/2 platform, porting stuff to OS/2 is always appreciated from my point of view, and enriches the OS with new possibilities. : )

Mathias